Jump to content
lurkumlurkum

Crew tickets and campervan pass for Circus and Theatre area

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, PetePie said:

Then she just had to turn up a few days before gates opened at a certain gate , her name was on a list

problem is, scammers are saying that too, and of course the name isn't on a list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

I work backstage at C&T. It is a great place in the festival to stay. If it is a genuine offer then I would certainly pay the price of the tickets, as you were going to anyway.

As Neil says you have to be in on the Tuesday (performers can turn up later of course), but you can go from the Sunday before really and the earlier the better to get a spot, and it gets tight at times with a general free for all, not like the CV fields (much more chaos) . You will get a different wristband and backstage pass. This will get you also into all the backstage bars which will be up and running from the Sunday (probably before). The C&T Bar (run by one of my friends) normally starts Tuesday and is one of the best onsite, has some great bands on after hours as well

Kids will love it as you are in with the performers and see them all getting ready etc. Really is a great atmosphere back there. Clean loos (but I find that nearly anywhere anyway) showers and there are cut throughs and no queues for the SE corner

Well worth it as it is also very easy to just pop back camp to pick up stuff, unless you are right over the other side or park.

To wonder around the festival before Wednesday is also worth part of the money, (especially if you are not working) would be a lovely couple of days watching it all build up and able to properly relax before the mayhem.

Oh and visit the splott brothers cocktail bar

ooo I'm working (not for C&T) for 2 weeks pre festival but finish the Friday before the festival so absolutely plan to stay around and either do some paid work, wander and take in the sights or offer to just help out for the fun and experience , are the crew bars pre festival only open to C&T crew or can this fairy come and take a look and find the cocktail bar (i am one excited fairy reading your post)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PetePie said:

A friend of mine worked at the last glasto she got offered the chance to work 2 weeks before , she had to pAy her deposit ,   Then she just had to turn up a few days before gates opened at a certain gate , her name was on a list , they gave her a wristband and that was it , she never had a ticket as was crew to start with  as it wasn’t needed 

The OP did specifically say that someone was willing to sell him tickets and a campervan pass though and not an offer to work the festival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PetePie said:

A friend of mine worked at the last glasto she got offered the chance to work 2 weeks before , she had to pAy her deposit ,   Then she just had to turn up a few days before gates opened at a certain gate , her name was on a list , they gave her a wristband and that was it , she never had a ticket as was crew to start with  as it wasn’t needed 

In terms of process, there's quite a bit of variation betweeen crews/areas. Plenty of people won't have tickets, plenty will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, today has been a mixture of highs and lows splashed with a large dose of paranoia that I'm a mug wantonly offering myself up to be ripped off. 

Having read all the posts in this thread (especially Freq Quimby's excellent post) I decided that it was worth a shot but I needed to make sure that everything was legit. Chatted to my collegue gently expressing my concerns. She said that if I got ripped off by her brother she would pay me back herself as it wasn't going to happen. I believe her, you would if you knew her.

Phoned the brother. To cut a long story short I got the two tickets and the vehicle pass (I can also apply to tow a caravan in if I want!) for £1000. He was wanting more and said that he would be able to more ( I believe him) but was happy to let me have it as I was mates with his sister. He also mentioned that tipi hire was over a grand and having a comfortable motorhome in a better position with two tickets  included for the same price was pretty fair. Almost feeling guilty that I didn't offer him more as the sale will got to funding what he does at the festival. He said quite a few crew get little or no funding but get extra tickets so it balances everything out.

He only wants £100 now as a deposit to make sure I'm serious. He wants the rest paid when I get the tickets etc in early June.

Quite relieved as the chance of a CV ticket in the resales is low and that is essential for my partner.

Thanks so much for everyones help.

Lurkumlurkum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lurkumlurkum said:

Well, today has been a mixture of highs and lows splashed with a large dose of paranoia that I'm a mug wantonly offering myself up to be ripped off. 

Having read all the posts in this thread (especially Freq Quimby's excellent post) I decided that it was worth a shot but I needed to make sure that everything was legit. Chatted to my collegue gently expressing my concerns. She said that if I got ripped off by her brother she would pay me back herself as it wasn't going to happen. I believe her, you would if you knew her.

Phoned the brother. To cut a long story short I got the two tickets and the vehicle pass (I can also apply to tow a caravan in if I want!) for £1000. He was wanting more and said that he would be able to more ( I believe him) but was happy to let me have it as I was mates with his sister. He also mentioned that tipi hire was over a grand and having a comfortable motorhome in a better position with two tickets  included for the same price was pretty fair. Almost feeling guilty that I didn't offer him more as the sale will got to funding what he does at the festival. He said quite a few crew get little or no funding but get extra tickets so it balances everything out.

He only wants £100 now as a deposit to make sure I'm serious. He wants the rest paid when I get the tickets etc in early June.

Quite relieved as the chance of a CV ticket in the resales is low and that is essential for my partner.

Thanks so much for everyones help.

Lurkumlurkum

Amazing. What a result. Great location to camp!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great result, and I'm sure I'd do the same if in your position, but it seems a tad unethical on the part of the person selling them. Or is this practice the norm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, henry bear said:

Great result, and I'm sure I'd do the same if in your position, but it seems a tad unethical on the part of the person selling them. Or is this practice the norm?

yes I was thinking that as after all in nearly every crew area ' space is tight ' and if any joker tried that in the WBC Crew Area ' they would soon be out of the WBC '

one has to wonder what GFL would think about this as there may be more than one flogging off spaces ' that is meant to be for genuine crew '

Below is my 2016 Crew ticket and GFL Security was checking my driving licence just to make certain that the names match up so its very risky to show up with a ticket that was intended for someone else.

sure at the end of the day its all down to luck.

P1010531.thumb.JPG.48d10806dd1eac49d66d211d913063b4.JPG

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am quite surprised by it as well as I know someone who runs quite a big operation on site and he has to beg and plead for each one of the crew tickets he needs - there isn't any spare at all. Still, well done!

@Funkyfairy! yes, if you have a site wide crew ticket you can get into any of the crew bars apart from the ones that are  inside another Workers zone i.e. Oxfam, WBC etc. We spend a lot of time in the Arcadia one - is it the Ridge and Furrow although without the Spider this year I'm not sure if that will be there? The Block 9 one is good as well. If any of them are going to tighten up after opening you can get wristbands beforehand that will still as long you in as long as you get them before everyone else is on site. The acoustic bar can be a bit arsey with certain types of crew wristbands for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 7:07 AM, eFestivals said:

just in case you're not aware....

In order to park your CV in an on-site crew area, you'll need to be on site before Tuesday evening, else they won't let you drive in (and you can only get on site on Tuesday with a crew ticket, not a punter ticket).

And you would need to issued with a laminate or wristband for that particular area for access in and out. 

The time I camped in T&C as a guest of crew my name was given to the pass office and I had to collect one there and show my punter ticket to prove who I was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say across the site there will be quite a few people selling tickets this way and ethics aside you seem to have got a decent deal there. Especially with very little money up front. He could have got more, much more especially after April.

I would keep in touch with him in the run up to the resale and make sure they are still coming your way. If anything goes tits up you don’t want to be left with nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seller could make an awful lot more on this package than has been agreed, taking into account early arrival, on site parking, location, facilities, easy access into S.E. corner etc. This is the golden ticket !

Crew/performer tickets do not have photos on as names can genuinely need to be changed right up to festival time, however we have been advised to carry other photo i.d. to show when entering the site as gate staff have the right to ask for it. I have not been asked to show any myself although I know people who have. Whether or not they would point blank refuse you entry if you didn't have any I couldn't say, I think it's more of a deterrent than anything else.

As far as the morality of the situation goes these are allocated tickets and an allocated vehicle so there is no issue as to available space, somebody would be using them in any case. The issue is that festival goers are potentially missing out by having two less people performing for them. This practice does go on all the time, the general assumption is that only a very few tickets are passed on and usually only at face value, the funds are more often than not used for crew facilities. Anyone doing this on a large scale or for their own personal benefit would very quickly be found out by the rest of their team and would stand to lose their position. I can't speak for performers but volunteer team leaders put in a massive amount of time organising their teams for no financial reward, it often actually costs money to put it all together. They are also responsible for providing an agreed level of service, so they can't afford to sell off more than the odd ticket and only to people they can trust.  

Make sure you get your crew/performer ticket, a T&C lanyard pass and your on-site vehicle pass. You should get your wristband from your vendor once you're on site, if he doesn't give it to you beforehand. You've got an amazing deal.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Good post, spot on. 

Occasionaly I hear of crew tickets being sold on. This is invariably to fund whatever that crew is doing and often results in more work for the crew members due to less manpower but also means fuel, food and maybe beer etc will then be paid for. Loads of people work the festival just for a ticket and for many the hourly rate for what they do is a pittance if balanced by the face value of a ticket never mind the expenses incurred. IMO this is particularly true in the Greenfields.

Re glasto-workers post, not having the correct name on a crew ticket has never been a problem. If I'm unsure when form filling in the early spring I always put a name like Jo or Alex down as then the crew member using that ticket can be of either sex. It always works and I expect that the person offering lurkumlurkum tickets will put their real names on anyway.

Personally I don't see a problem with it. I wish I had an extra ticket or two to sell to help smooth the finances!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for everyones advice etc. Really helped me through a stressful few days where I really didnt know the score.

Went for a couple of beers with my collegue and her bro who is sorting me the tickets and we all had an in depth chat. 

He's not a performar as such but takes a loadof people there. Can't say more as I obviously dont want to ID him. His lot basically work for tickets and do get crew food in the cafe but it is a lobor of love for them. the ticket money from me will get spent by them collectively, no ones pocket is getting lined, Hes a lovely and clearly genuine man who isn't out to rip anyone off or exploit me or his position in the festival.

He doesn't know about this thread but does know that e could have charged much more for the tickets, Am feeling blessed and very lucky. And slightly inebriated. 

Happy.

Thanks again for your input.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

^ Good post, spot on. 

Occasionaly I hear of crew tickets being sold on. This is invariably to fund whatever that crew is doing and often results in more work for the crew members due to less manpower but also means fuel, food and maybe beer etc will then be paid for. Loads of people work the festival just for a ticket and for many the hourly rate for what they do is a pittance if balanced by the face value of a ticket never mind the expenses incurred. IMO this is particularly true in the Greenfields.

Re glasto-workers post, not having the correct name on a crew ticket has never been a problem. If I'm unsure when form filling in the early spring I always put a name like Jo or Alex down as then the crew member using that ticket can be of either sex. It always works and I expect that the person offering lurkumlurkum tickets will put their real names on anyway.

Personally I don't see a problem with it. I wish I had an extra ticket or two to sell to help smooth the finances!

Previously it would not matter because  ' people who were on a WBC crew Coach ' were not even issued a crew ticket as GFL accepted the WBC advance list so there was no point handing out tickets just to hand them back again. 

but in 2016 ' the system was changed by GFL ' so they wanted a advance list and this time they did issue tickets and then security checked the ID of everyone on that London Coach.

I can only report what happened to me and have not got a clue what other crews experienced. 

Now what happened in 2017 I cant say as I was in ICU so I missed it but reports back from my Team was ' it was a right rigmarole to get in .

18 minutes ago, lurkumlurkum said:

Thanks again for everyones advice etc. Really helped me through a stressful few days where I really didnt know the score.

Went for a couple of beers with my collegue and her bro who is sorting me the tickets and we all had an in depth chat. 

He's not a performar as such but takes a loadof people there. Can't say more as I obviously dont want to ID him. His lot basically work for tickets and do get crew food in the cafe but it is a lobor of love for them. the ticket money from me will get spent by them collectively, no ones pocket is getting lined, Hes a lovely and clearly genuine man who isn't out to rip anyone off or exploit me or his position in the festival.

He doesn't know about this thread but does know that e could have charged much more for the tickets, Am feeling blessed and very lucky. And slightly inebriated. 

Happy.

Thanks again for your input.

If people have spare tickets than I suspect GFL would restrict them if they were aware.

most of us are unpaid { my wages go to fund the WBC } and even although I have been with the WBC 30 Years if I was daft enough to sell spare tickets { for whatever the reason } - they would soon kick me out as its taking the Piss - 

I am sure it does go on but its a very risky enterprise.

--------

If I was you ' I would arrange to go in at the same time as this friend ' just in case there is any problems and if that is not possible make sure you have his number - 

Security at Glastonbury is tight and if your ticket does not have your name on it - they may or may not point to the front where it clearly says ' Ticket is only valid for the person named and photo ID is required '

at this point having someone ' from onsite ' coming out may solve the problem. 

P1010526.thumb.JPG.8038bed781b6e18ba94f8e43b561f884.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lurkumlurkum said:

Thanks again for everyones advice etc. Really helped me through a stressful few days where I really didnt know the score.

What you've described not only sounds like a brilliant way into the festival, it also seems legit.  For as long as I can remember, a mate of mine has been getting in on a near-identical deal with a team who are working there who he knows personally.  He doesn't have a campervan but camps in their little crew spot and arrives around 5 days before the punters.  I arrive on the Tuesday (volunteering with WBC) and by the time I catch up with him that evening, he's already been on it for several nights and collected all the crew bar wrist-bands.  He always only pays these guys the standard price for a Glastonbury ticket, so you could try offering them that as an opening gambit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair play lurkumlurkum, thats an excellent deal you've got there.

I know a bunch of people that work the festival and have done for years, and they always manage to have a few tickets spare which they sell on and usually for a lot more than you've paid. I actually got a couple of people off this forum tickets for last year's festival through them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rumpola said:

Fair play lurkumlurkum, thats an excellent deal you've got there.

I know a bunch of people that work the festival and have done for years, and they always manage to have a few tickets spare which they sell on and usually for a lot more than you've paid. I actually got a couple of people off this forum tickets for last year's festival through them. 

If any more come your way mate, I would be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eastynh said:

If any more come your way mate, I would be interested.

I won't know until nearer the time but will give you first refusal if there's any available Easty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rumpola said:

I won't know until nearer the time but will give you first refusal if there's any available Easty

Cheers mate. Am hoping to have one sorted by then, but I am saving up for worse case scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

ooo I'm working (not for C&T) for 2 weeks pre festival but finish the Friday before the festival so absolutely plan to stay around and either do some paid work, wander and take in the sights or offer to just help out for the fun and experience , are the crew bars pre festival only open to C&T crew or can this fairy come and take a look and find the cocktail bar (i am one excited fairy reading your post)

Sadly once Tuesday comes around it is only open to certain crews, There is a road through so Vehicles with correct pass are  allowed and then only C&T, Guest passes are given out but they are getting far a view between now as well.

Plenty of other bars though that are open to all crew and definitely visit Shrangrli la bar, great bar and if still the same then it has a tube train in it where the DJ performs from a platform and has games in it, plus loads of booth sitting outside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work Lurkumlurkum

 

Really is a great spot to be set up in. Oh the green room cafe there does great food at a very very reasonable price.

Your only issue is getting spoilt for the following years and wanting the same spot :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I would get those tickets. At places like land and sky they go for thousands. But it depends on what you can afford and also willing to pay. I would hopefully be getting them for 2 grand. That sounds optimistic. But you might be able to persuade. I personally think he could get at least 3 grand, if not more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...