Lawks! It's only the 2019 Next Announcement Thread!

Gnomicide

It is a big weakness with the festival, these late announcements. Its to the detriment of the bands too. People don't have enough time to discover new music and upcoming bands. So some of them end up playing to people just looking for a quiet place to go for a snooze. 

They really should announce it much earlier so we can trawl through music we don't know yet. EOTR do it very well. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

It is a big weakness with the festival, these late announcements. Its to the detriment of the bands too. People don't have enough time to discover new music and upcoming bands. So some of them end up playing to people just looking for a quiet place to go for a snooze. 

They really should announce it much earlier so we can trawl through music we don't know yet. EOTR do it very well. 

Boomtown too....it's nearly two months after Glastonbury and we already have the entire lineup, with all the stage breakdowns

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Completely agree with this.

Sometimes, I think they've taken the "it's not about the music" ethos too far.   I think it's one of the reasons why the crowds are never as up for it at Glastonbury as they are elsewhere.   So many people have no idea who is playing apart from the big advertised spots (Legends/Headliners) and so just wander around watching whatever without ever really investing in the set.

I'd love to see them compromise a bit by giving us stage breakdowns a bit earlier.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Boomtown too....it's nearly two months after Glastonbury and we already have the entire lineup, with all the stage breakdowns

Yeah. And when you consider the size of the festival compared to those two its overwhelming enough without having dozens of smaller acts dumped on us a few weeks out. Acts that a lot of us may go see if we had time to get into them. 

6 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Does Glasters have the culture of "new music and upcoming bands" that the likes of EOTR has? I would argue no. Maybe 25 years ago, but theyve ceded that territory to the smaller players years back.

Well for example Snapped Ankles are playing, twice. Found out a month ago. Assume they were booked well before that. Still not announced. Your thread is the only thing about them playing the festival. Theres a lot of bands like that every year lower down the Peel, Williams Green, The Park etc but there isn't enough time to get through them when we get a poster bomb 30 days out. 

Not saying they should announce everyone but it would be nice to drop a few of the up and coming and smaller acts a little earlier. Loads of people make their own playlists etc of bands playing and have an appetite to go see new stuff but they can't if we don't know whos playing. Need the info etc. 

Edited by The Nal

4 minutes ago, DJL said:

Do you think it’s related to how little Glastonbury pay? Waiting for ticket sales on certain artists so hey can get them for cheaper?

Don’t know about everyone else but as soon as there’s a poster release I’m on google looking at bands I’ve never listened to or not got into.  It’s become  a bit of a April May June tradition. Trouble is I end up with a list that’s impossibly big and leads to multiple clashes followed by delicate negotiations with missus Chris.  But it’s all part of the experience and we love it 

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah. And when you consider the size of the festival compared to those two its overwhelming enough without having dozens of smaller acts dumped on us a few weeks out. Acts that a lot of us may go see if we had time to get into them. 

Well for example Snapped Ankles are playing, twice. Found out a month ago. Assume they were booked well before that. Still not announced. Your thread is the only thing about them playing the festival. Theres a lot of bands like that every year lower down the Peel, Williams Green, The Park etc but there isn't enough time to get through them when we get a poster bomb 30 days out. 

Not saying they should announce everyone but it would be nice to drop a few of the up and coming and smaller acts a little earlier. Loads of people make their own playlists etc of bands playing and have an appetite to go see new stuff but they can't if we don't know whos playing. Need the info etc. 

I agree and suggested similar in December, a Glastonbury one a day advent calendar "24 bands you should listen to before June."

• Upvote 1

Certainly the festival sells their West Holts and Park line ups short by leaving them unannounced until very late. They curate diverse and challenging line ups in many respects on these stages. People could do with time to get acquainted.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Certainly the festival sells their West Holts and Park line ups short by leaving them unannounced until very late. They curate diverse and challenging line ups in many respects on these stages. People could do with time to get acquainted.

"Heres a band whos name you can't even pronounce, from a country that you didn't even know existed, with 25 members and a 30 album back catalogue, 30 days before the festival. Enjoy." 

• Upvote 6

I’m not sure that they can release much earlier. Certainly not stage and day info. I get the impression that there is quite a bit of rejigging even at this stage. EE saying that Billie Eilish has moved stage for example. I think that it’s a combination of having so many stages to juggle with and wanting to get acts to do it for less money so there’s more wriggle room in contracts. 

Anyway I like the surprises. Some of the best times have been had stumbling across things 

15 minutes ago, tarw said:

I’m not sure that they can release much earlier. Certainly not stage and day info.

I agree. I'd imagine even some bookings have yet to be finalised at this point. I'd like to know as much as possible as soon as possible too, but it's daft to think they're sitting on the full line up for months on end and deliberately withholding it for some reason. I've got enough new music to discover with the names already announced, let alone 500 more. We still get a good month to breeze through the full announcement.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yep. They should definitely release the smaller much stages earlier so people can discover them and then drop the big names later if necessary for contractual reasons.

4 hours ago, LeCecil said:

Earache Express could also have it's only announcement

??? 

I reckon they’ll be supplying a few more bands to the Truth stage as well as the Earache express too (assuming they were behind Napalm Death and Dead Kennedys last time)  

4 hours ago, LeCecil said:

Earache Express could also have it's only announcement

6 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

??? 

I reckon they’ll be supplying a few more bands to the Truth stage as well as the Earache express too (assuming they were behind Napalm Death and Dead Kennedys last time)  

I think it will come at the same time as the rest of Shangri-la.