Lawks! It's only the 2019 Next Announcement Thread!

Gnomicide

32 minutes ago, The Nal said:

What exactly are peoples beef with the Pie character? Ive only seen a few youtube clips

Basically, the far right and other assorted Nazis are using free-speech as a bad-faith wedge issue in order to force the mainstream media to give their ideology the time of day / a fair hearing - under the guise that all ideas are worth hearing and up for debate in the so-called 'marketplace of ideas'. Presumably up to and including genocide.

Meantime, Pie and Doyle are going out to bat on the same side by punching left against the people who see what the fash are up to and are trying to deny them a fair hearing. 

They're dark masters of false equivalence and - unlike the folk genuinely being threatened - have little at stake in the matter other than semantics.

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Basically, the far right and other assorted Nazis are using free-speech as a bad-faith wedge issue in order to force the mainstream media to give their ideology the time of day / a fair hearing - under the guise that all ideas are worth hearing and up for debate in the so-called 'marketplace of ideas'. Presumably up to and including genocide.

Meantime, Pie and Doyle are going out to bat on the same side by punching left against the people who see what the fash are up to and are trying to deny them a fair hearing. 

They're dark masters of false equivalence and - unlike the folk genuinely being threatened - have little at stake in the matter other than semantics.

Wasn't aware of his output in that regard. All I've seen is him trashing May, Bojo, JRM et al and defending a comedians joke. 

I like what I've seen of Jonathon Pie. Not sure if I've just managed to miss the offensive stuff. Would be curious to see some of the videos that have wound people up.

I'd been hoping for John Cooper Clarke. Guessing my chances of him being there are pretty low as I think he'd be big enough to be mentioned in the article.

Really doesn't feel like a proper line up release. If the smaller posters are meant to give the smaller parts of the festival their time in the spotlight it feels a bit like theatre and circus area have wasted their moment.

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Which Nazis are you referring to here that they're 'going out to bat with'? The argument I suspect many have seen (and you may be referring to) is regarding Mark Meechan, the guy who taught his girlfriend's dog a Nazi salute. Now this guy also has right-wing views but needless to say, neither this nor making a joke with a dog makes him a Nazi. I don't agree with these right-wing (nor pro-brexit) views and neither do Tom Walker or Andrew Doyle (all left of centre in fact) but Meechan's right to make a joke without facing prosecution is something worth arguing for. Consider him a twat sure (he is), but criminal prosecution? That's a very dangerous road to go down.

It's this kind of attitude that epitomises the regressive left. It's not helpful, and in fact it makes fighting actual fascism/racism more difficult due to a loss of credibility from false or flimsy claims. It trivialises it and makes the left look pathetic. Ultimately, this is a left wing guy sticking up for left wing values and he actually spends most his time berating the Tories anyway.

Edit - the video above calls out another good example of the regressive left doing its best to lose credibility for the left as a whole. Does a Labour MP comparing those particular Tories to the Nazis help or hinder arguing against them? 

Edited by The Martini Police
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Seems fairly left to me. 

"Boris Johnson is an opportunistic prick with no moral backbone whatsoever". 

"Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg - two of the worst people imaginable"

He bashes left, right and centre depending on what’s going on in the world.  Right now it’s easy for him to bash anything with regards to Brexit and the general right wing divisions in the Tory party. 

I thought the Nazi dog guy video was funny. 

2 minutes ago, tumbles said:

He bashes left, right and centre depending on what’s going on in the world.  Right now it’s easy for him to bash anything with regards to Brexit and the general right wing divisions in the Tory party. 

Sounds good to me.

Edited by The Nal
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Seems fairly left to me. 

Aye he's pretty left from what I've seen. He hates the Tories, and he gave Chukka and the centrists a good roasting not long ago:

For me Jonathan Pie is like an uncle or a family friend down who is down the pub all the time. Funny at times but also times when he says things that are just a bit embarrassing for him really but he's too oblivious to notice or knows he's saying it for laughs. 

Can't really take his character seriously but if you're a fan great. If you're not then fine. He is a bit of a marmite character.

37 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Seems fairly left to me. 

I sometimes like him, but then he went off on a whole 'political correctness gone mad' bent that was barely comprehensible. Owen Jones did an interview with him following this, and it wasn't great:

I was given tickets to see Pie and it was a curious experience.

Like some on here i'd only seen his YouTube videos taking the piss out of BJ, JRM, May, etc. Quite amusing.

Live was an altogether more divisive experience.

All that stuff i've mentioned above was decent, funny. As was the 'plot' of the show - a Patridge-esque attempt at a live show in order to get his own tv show. Worked quite well, if not original.

Towards the end though I had difficulty agreeing with - let alone laughing at - his schtick about:

- Telling people 'not to be victims'. Easily said if you're not on the receiving end of any sort of abuse.

- Stating that he wants to give the far right a voice...so he can talk to them...debate with them.

Fuck that. That shit didn't sit right with me.

I'm not clever enough to put my feelings into words or probably comprehend correctly what the overarching intention was, but:

As a comedian, i didn't really understand what he was aiming at / was going on (as i've just said), as a show i didn't get what, thematically, the point was. It was confused and drifted away from the narrative of the show as set out at the start.

Maybe i'm too thick. Probably. But it seemed very cosy for him to be making some of his points from a definite position of priviledge.

• Upvote 1