Lawks! It's only the 2019 Next Announcement Thread!

Gnomicide

22 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

There have only ever been 2 announcements in January:

• Rokia Traore - 17th Jan 2013 (a surprise announcement given his transfer from Liverpool in 2006).
  • Kris Kristofferson - 20th Jan 2017 (announced in an Eavii interview with The Guardian, primarily to talk about The Variety Bazaar)

See you in February.

Didn't the Dalai Lama announce in Jan ? 

16 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Nope. That wasn't officially announced before the festival - June 25th.

it was announced somewhere much earlier. Might have been by a buddhist organisation.

I know there were some issues about publicity, because of the attitudes of China towards him - but I can't remember what exactly now.

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it was announced somewhere much earlier. Might have been by a buddhist organisation.

I know there were some issues about publicity, because of the attitudes of China towards him - but I can't remember what exactly now.

I've just had a bit of a Google but couldn't find anything (then again, I should be working) but I recall it being largely known he would be there in advance. I did find an article in The Oxford Times saying his appearance was "slammed!", said slammer turned out to be the Chinese government. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I hate to contradict the thingy ... but yes he did ... I saw it on my timeline on fb and wondered here is an article backing it up https://www.factmag.com/2015/01/05/dalai-lama-announces-himself-for-glastonbury-2015/

TheThingy only deal in official announcements and/or cockups. If I had self confirms on there, I'd need to but a new server*.

Good find though.

*I don't have a server.

• Upvote 2

On 1/2/2019 at 3:47 PM, Gnomicide said:

There have only ever been 2 announcements in January:

• Rokia Traore - 17th Jan 2013 (a surprise announcement given his transfer from Liverpool in 2006).
  • Kris Kristofferson - 20th Jan 2017 (announced in an Eavii interview with The Guardian, primarily to talk about The Variety Bazaar)

See you in February.

#ThereIsNoPattern

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

From what I can see there's normally a reason behind it, sometimes after the performer has let the cat out of the bag (Kris Krisstofferson, Black Keys, Jack Johnson), some when there is a new area (Dance Village re-branding as Silver Hays), some when there was a particular issue or cause to highlight (Rokia Traore as part of the support for Malian artists, PJ Harvey when speaking about female performers) and some as part of the publicity for balance deadline (Lana Del Rey, Warpaint).

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

If The Strokes are at APE I could see them holding off on both them and The Cure for a while as they'll both have tickets to sell. Maybe chuck us a sub like Liam Gallagher if so.

Have they ever announced a sub-headliner before headliner/general announcement before?

A lot of the general goers would be confused if they announced LG, mistaking as a headliner, if they just put him out there 

2 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Have they ever announced a sub-headliner before headliner/general announcement before?

A lot of the general goers would be confused if they announced LG, mistaking as a headliner, if they just put him out there 

They announced The Black Keys in 2014 before the general line up drop iirc.