Download 2020

gabrielomachado

Just now, Red Day said:

Think recent interviews would suggest there’s no new music planned

Was just finding the article but yes:

“The status has not changed,” says Tankian. “We tour. We do shows together. We haven't been able to see eye to eye to continue as far as creating new music together. Maybe one day that will change, maybe that won't, but we're all close friends and we enjoy each other's company and we're like family at this point, after 25 years. We'll be announcing some new shows soon.” That interview was published on Monday.

46 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Forgive me if I’m being stupid but is there no chance SOAD could be releasing an album?

Or are they just wheeling out a tour to pay the bills?

I mean in the same way there's a chance Led Zeppelin might release a new album.

And we have had new stuff from Tool and there's a new The Who album coming out, so you never know...

System are quite happy getting on with their solo projects and then going on tour with the big band, which to be honest is fair enough. 

Edited by madmaninabox

52 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Was just finding the article but yes:

“The status has not changed,” says Tankian. “We tour. We do shows together. We haven't been able to see eye to eye to continue as far as creating new music together. Maybe one day that will change, maybe that won't, but we're all close friends and we enjoy each other's company and we're like family at this point, after 25 years. We'll be announcing some new shows soon.” That interview was published on Monday.

Oh wow.

Yeah that completely sucks. Guaranteed to be the same set as three years ago? Why do people keep letting AC get away with this?

54 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Oh wow.

Yeah that completely sucks. Guaranteed to be the same set as three years ago? Why do people keep letting AC get away with this?

To be fair there's an outside possibility that the festivals that have got SOAD have announced them already because they know the bands that are being announced by festivals waiting until Monday are just so much better. An outside possibility.

6 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

To be fair there's an outside possibility that the festivals that have got SOAD have announced them already because they know the bands that are being announced by festivals waiting until Monday are just so much better. An outside possibility.

Wait they are worried about competition in different countries?

Just now, Matt42 said:

Wait they are worried about competition in different countries?

I mean if Download have a massive headliner on a Madrid, Paris, Donington run it could affect the two Spanish festivals and Hellfest (who seem to be gearing up for an announcement). God knows what it would have to do with the German festivals though - unless the band in question are playing Wacken (already announced and sold out so unlikely) or Euroblast. 

And it is getting more common for people to travel between countries for festivals these days. I'm just trying to find an argument for SOAD not being one of Download headliners, as much as I know they are (and actually wouldn't mind seeing them as a festival headliner, certainly wouldn't pay for their own show.)

I think they are more worried with potential headliners announcing uk tours and download requirements are that the date is your only uk summer appearance, ok ow if you go back 10+ years that wasn’t the case but it is now! .

SOAD played 3 years ago with no new music I’d much rather see someone else headline, they were ok 3 years ok but I’ve no desire to see that same set again, just think Download can do better 

11 minutes ago, Rocknrollbazza said:

I think they are more worried with potential headliners announcing uk tours and download requirements are that the date is your only uk summer appearance, ok ow if you go back 10+ years that wasn’t the case but it is now! .

SOAD played 3 years ago with no new music I’d much rather see someone else headline, they were ok 3 years ok but I’ve no desire to see that same set again, just think Download can do better 

If they were that worried about the Rammstein and Green Day dates I think they'd have gone to press already. 

I still think they've got someone who would make most people go 'okay I'm on my way' who might have been dithering. There was loads of people doing Download and the Metallica gigs this year, so it's not like people can't do both. (Although I imagine Rammstein will not be headlining Download again for quite some time after this years date being during the festival)

25 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

If they were that worried about the Rammstein and Green Day dates I think they'd have gone to press already. 

I still think they've got someone who would make most people go 'okay I'm on my way' who might have been dithering. There was loads of people doing Download and the Metallica gigs this year, so it's not like people can't do both. (Although I imagine Rammstein will not be headlining Download again for quite some time after this years date being during the festival)

It's AEG's fault, not Rammstein's. Copping will know that.

2 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

I mean if Download have a massive headliner on a Madrid, Paris, Donington run it could affect the two Spanish festivals and Hellfest (who seem to be gearing up for an announcement). God knows what it would have to do with the German festivals though - unless the band in question are playing Wacken (already announced and sold out so unlikely) or Euroblast. 

And it is getting more common for people to travel between countries for festivals these days. I'm just trying to find an argument for SOAD not being one of Download headliners, as much as I know they are (and actually wouldn't mind seeing them as a festival headliner, certainly wouldn't pay for their own show.)

there's not so much bands bigger than SOAD that can play next year. I mean, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot, Rammstein, Guns N'Roses and AC/DC are definitely bigger than SOAD but you can rule out at least three of these bands. And also Resurrection are releasing a lineup on monday and SOAD are already their "big band", there's not gonna be a bigger band because it's a small festival. i don't see a huge band releasing tour dates on monday, i think download headliners annoucement will have to wait a lil bit more

1 hour ago, gabrielomachado said:

there's not so much bands bigger than SOAD that can play next year. I mean, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot, Rammstein, Guns N'Roses and AC/DC are definitely bigger than SOAD but you can rule out at least three of these bands. And also Resurrection are releasing a lineup on monday and SOAD are already their "big band", there's not gonna be a bigger band because it's a small festival. i don't see a huge band releasing tour dates on monday, i think download headliners annoucement will have to wait a lil bit more

Iron Maiden, Slipknot and Rammstein have all played Ressurection Fest before and it gets over 54000 attendance....thats hardly small. Could see Iron Maiden doing it alongside SOAD.

50 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Iron Maiden, Slipknot and Rammstein have all played Ressurection Fest before and it gets over 54000 attendance....thats hardly small. Could see Iron Maiden doing it alongside SOAD.

i know but they always have one band that is really huge and the others are bands who would play 3rd main/headline 2nd in donington

this year they had as headliners Slayer-Parkway Drive, Slipknot and King Diamond, only Slipknot can headline donington

what i'm trying to say is that they always have just one huge download-headliner level band headlining and surely this year's band is System Of A Down

Edited by gabrielomachado

35 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

i know but they always have one band that is really huge and the others are bands who would play 3rd main/headline 2nd in donington

this year they had as headliners Slayer-Parkway Drive, Slipknot and King Diamond, only Slipknot can headline donington

what i'm trying to say is that they always have just one huge download-headliner level band headlining and surely this year's band is System Of A Down

Yeah I see what your saying but this year they did have Slayer on their final tour plus Within Temptation subbing who are much bigger on the continent than in the UK. So I don't think its a strech but we'll see!

29 minutes ago, scrubbertheman said:

I thought Ozzy in '18 was Download's white flag for ever being a trailblazer festival.
But SOAD? As I said a couple of pages ago, as much as I love them, would be like completely throwing in the towel for Copping and co.

Add Kiss to it, and I'll have find even worse metaphors.

Ozzy in 18 made sense with it being his farewell tour. (Whatever you think of the veracity of such a claim.)

Can't see us getting SOAD and KISS though. Don't even think KISS'll be back in the UK this summer.

12 minutes ago, Rocknrollbazza said:

I think they are worried that’s why we are getting an early announcement, with Rammstein playing during the festival and Green day the weekend after, Metallica all but ruling themselves out, I’m beginning to fear we are going to get a recycled gig from the last 3-5 years ago *sigh*

Metallica have certainly not all but ruled themselves out.

16 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

SOAD would be a great headliner alongside any 2 from Metallica, Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters and AC/DC (and i'm not really a fan of the last 2 other than on a casual basis). All depends who the complete set is.

If you're getting two of the last 4 then ffs bump up someone like FFDP, A Day to Remember, BMTH or Architects rather than booking SOAD again.

Edited by madmaninabox

Just now, gabrielomachado said:

there's any official information that we're getting a announcement on monday?

Nope just speculation. Possibly over-excitement.

Last year there was over a week before early birds off sale an announcement. Nearly two weeks the year before.

At the very least we should know when were getting the announcement tomorrow or Monday.