Download 2020

gabrielomachado

29 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Course they are. They’re heavier then a good proportion of bands that play here, but I think most of their fan base aren’t the type to go to Download.

Yes that’s what makes them so weird to place. I would say that they could headline this because they’re more well known than any new headliner, but also that’s because they’re well known outside of Download’s clientele. But does that mean they should sub instead? Better just to expect them not to show up here ever again.

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

You’re always one-upping your own predictions. I was initially thinking this gave weight to your sub prediction but you’ve moved on. :P

Can’t be dwelling for too long :lol: but nah, I think either could happen as they supposedly have an album coming out in 2020. This tour does make it seem more likely that they will show up (and sub) next year rather than holding off until 2021 and headlining like I initially thought. 

Edited by Andre91

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Ghost arena tour ?

Yes! I'm all over this. In 17 they played the O2 ABC in Glasgow. Crazy to think their next show is Hydro.

8 hours ago, Dukey said:

Royal Blood would be a superb sub to Metallica. I remember spotting Lars watching them from side of stage at Glasto in 2017. 

Lars was learning from a good drummer :) 

7 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

This logic that just because a band plays or are going to play an arena means they can headline Download doesn't work. If it did then bands like Alice In Chains, Nightwish and Halestorm would be headlining - clearly they are not. 

And Royal Blood are very obviously not a Download type band.

The bands given as examples are all recent arena level bands in this country. Someone will have to fill the top spots when the dinosaurs die out. Ghost are as likely as an of the current arena bands. They are on a steep upward trajectory. Did everyone forget Royal Blood already played Download?

4 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Course they are. They’re heavier then a good proportion of bands that play here, but I think most of their fan base aren’t the type to go to Download.

The 3rd stage absolutely rammed to the gunnels suggests different.

37 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Probably been discussed already but chances of BMTH playing next year?

None I hope. Unless they are prepared to accept their stock is about 2nd stage headliner.

Also, if you didn't see Rammstein at MK then you missed the greatest off the fucking scale show that has ever been played on these shores. I'm probably under selling it at that too.

5 minutes ago, devilman said:

The 3rd stage absolutely rammed to the gunnels suggests different.

That was one of the biggest bands in the country playing a stage intended to be headlined by Opeth and Dillinger Escape Plan tho :P

Stereophonics would probably ram the third stage 

Edited by Steve1000

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

That was one of the biggest bands in the country playing a stage designed to be headlined by Opeth and Dillinger Escape Plan tho :P

Stereophonics would probably ram the third stage 

They had one single out at that stage. They were 4th down against a guitarist who has headlined main and is widely touted as one of the very best in the world (even if he does go on a bit) :) They are very much a Download band.

Stereophonics would be a pretty popular wildcard and headlined a major festival last year. They'd headline 2nd minimum. Royal Blood would be a more popular choice at DL though.

1 hour ago, devilman said:

The bands given as examples are all recent arena level bands in this country. Someone will have to fill the top spots when the dinosaurs die out. Ghost are as likely as an of the current arena bands. They are on a steep upward trajectory. Did everyone forget Royal Blood already played Download?

------

Also, if you didn't see Rammstein at MK then you missed the greatest off the fucking scale show that has ever been played on these shores. I'm probably under selling it at that too.

In a few years though, not in 2020 or 2021. Yes I did forget haha.

--

Rammstein was indeed amazing!

They'd be perfect for Download and probably have a more appealing undercard but it will have been seven years since they've played Reading so think it's more likely they just go back there.

Although I could see them doing one as a European exclusive next year before a full Eurofest run in 2021.

55 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Green Day / "Special Guests" Blink 182 doing Enema in full / Rancid / The Offspring / Neck Deep / Frank Carter / The Interrupters / Fever 333

One can dream.

That would be incredible. Although Frank would be higher than everyone below Rancid these days I think. 

I shoved them in at the end without thinking of their placing because I was a band short.

No idea what to put for the rest of the festival because I'm shit at predicting, but a trio of Green Day / Metallica / KISS would be killer.

Above Green Day main Day
Don Broco

Metallica / Ghost / Killswitch Engage
Gojira

KISS / Judas Priest / Greta Van Fleet
All Time Low

20 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Rammstein are playing the Ricoh Arena in Coventry on June 20th 2020 so I think that is them 100% ruled out for Download. I can see them adding a second date there is the tickets fly out on Friday, which I’m expecting. 

How does that rule them out? They can play 12-14th and do Download, play Belfast and then play Coventry. 

I may be being totally naive. 

56 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

With Rammstein out now im thinking: Korn, Metallica and Pearl Jam.

People keep suggesting Korn. They have subbed a few times and played the second stage (subbing), slipped to third main, before subbing again. I don't really see what reason people think Korn are going to headline all of a sudden? 

They peaked about 15 years ago and haven't got any bigger than they were then.

16 minutes ago, Traher666 said:

People keep suggesting Korn. They have subbed a few times and played the second stage (subbing), slipped to third main, before subbing again. I don't really see what reason people think Korn are going to headline all of a sudden? 

They peaked about 15 years ago and haven't got any bigger than they were then.

They have. They’re an arena band now. They’re better live than they’ve ever been. There’s a hell of a lot of good will towards KoRn these days. 

• Upvote 1