Download 2020

gabrielomachado

8 hours ago, strangerkings said:

2020 seems to be catering towards the "we go for the experience, not the bands" audience, which means a lot of people will miss a year or go to Reading and Leeds instead.

On the bright side, 2021 will most likely have a better lineup...

...Unless there's a new agreement between Download and R/L, where Download is the conservative festival that can only book safe bands, whereas R/L is the festival that's allowed to take risks.

Why would you need to cater for the ‘we go for the experience, not the bands’ audience. Surely they’ll go whatever the line up.

Also, if anyone thinks that Reading will be a viable alternative to Download they’re in for a shock.

If last years Reading was the ‘risk’, give me the safety of Korn, Maiden and Deftones any day.

Edited by rivalschools.price
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Archi said:

What a poor announcement. The duo Kiss/Deftones is strange but SlipKnot/Die Antwoord this year was strange too. I guess the last 3 names could be Alter Bridge, Five Finger Death Punch and Steel Panther?

Who do you think would play where? Seems strange having Deftones before Kiss

39 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Why would you need to cater for the ‘we go for the experience, not the bands’ audience. Surely they’ll go whatever the line up.

Also, if anyone thinks that Reading will be a viable alternative to Download they’re in for a shock.Other than the Sunday, there was little for the average Metal/Rock/punk fan.

If last years Reading was the ‘risk’, give me the safety of Korn, Maiden and Deftones any day.

5 hours ago, Pisces Iscariot said:

Who do you think would play where? Seems strange having Deftones before Kiss

MAIN STAGE
Friday: Kiss - Deftones - The Offspring - Steel Panther - Black Veil Brides...
Saturday: Iron Maiden - Alter Bridge - Five Finger Death Punch - Killswitch Engage... 
Sunday: System Of A Down - KoRn - Disturbed - Babymetal...

SECOND STAGE
Friday: TBA.
Saturday: Gojira.
Sunday: Volbeat. 

7 hours ago, Archi said:

MAIN STAGE
Friday: Kiss - Deftones - The Offspring - Steel Panther - Black Veil Brides...
Saturday: Iron Maiden - Alter Bridge - Five Finger Death Punch - Killswitch Engage... 
Sunday: System Of A Down - KoRn - Disturbed - Babymetal...

SECOND STAGE
Friday: TBA.
Saturday: Gojira.
Sunday: Volbeat. 

Killswitch 4th main stage again. I think Sunday is right but clash Volbeat with Korn. Might be just me but I don't see many seeing them over SOAD. That would probably be the best end of day I've had at Download and likely would just arrive mid afternoon.

I'm not sure on what to make of the "we go for the experience, not the bands" point, as an overall festival without looking at the acts it's a kinda average experience outdone but a lot of other fests. It's only because they have the market cornered for big heavy/rock bands that I'd consider going and even then it has to be something more worthwhile than the likes of Deaf Leppard.

7 hours ago, jump said:

I'm not sure on what to make of the "we go for the experience, not the bands" point, as an overall festival without looking at the acts it's a kinda average experience outdone but a lot of other fests. It's only because they have the market cornered for big heavy/rock bands that I'd consider going and even then it has to be something more worthwhile than the likes of Deaf Leppard.

This is why I don't bother with the camping there. There really isn't much to do outside of the arena

On 11/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, jump said:

11 years in a row I've never failed to like enough bands on the line up to make it worthwhile and always found new bands to check out afterwards too. That is all secondary though. If you need fairground rides, wrestling and metal themed statues to make it worthwhile then I honestly feel sorry for you. I go for the like minded people, the sesh, the craic and to people watch too. It's an escape from the outside world and all the shite in it. If you're not getting that in your festival experience, you are really missing out. I also guess it's something that some people just don't need but it's like a drug for me and if I was denied it I'd be intolerable. There are very few experiences that beat getting set up and cracking the first beer on a Download Wednesday knowing that you have 2 days of hugs and riotous laughter ahead before you've even seen a band, and that experience isn't going to tame your excitement about seeing those bands at all.

PS. I do lots of other festivals too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, devilman said:

11 years in a row I've never failed to like enough bands on the line up to make it worthwhile and always found new bands to check out afterwards too. That is all secondary though. If you need fairground rides, wrestling and metal themed statues to make it worthwhile then I honestly feel sorry for you. I go for the like minded people, the sesh, the craic and to people watch too. It's an escape from the outside world and all the shite in it. If you're not getting that in your festival experience, you are really missing out. I also guess it's something that some people just don't need but it's like a drug for me and if I was denied it I'd be intolerable. There are very few experiences that beat getting set up and cracking the first beer on a Download Wednesday knowing that you have 2 days of hugs and riotous laughter ahead before you've even seen a band, and that experience isn't going to tame your excitement about seeing those bands at all.

PS. I do lots of other festivals too.

I'm glad your enjoying Download but everything you're describing like drinking, free hugs etc is at others festivals too. I'm not saying Download is a shit festival, just a typical one.

Edited by jump

46 minutes ago, jump said:

I'm glad your enjoying Download but everything you're describing like drinking, free hugs etc is at others festivals too. I'm not saying Download is a shit festival, just a typical one.

I'm with you download is bang average as far as festival experience goes, its better than Leeds and Reading but that's about it. 

2 hours ago, jump said:

I'm not saying Download is a shit festival, just a typical one.

You're meeting the wrong people there! With added GnR, Tool, Rammstein, Slipknot etc. Yes you can get that in Europe but that's a long way for me! Maybe the fact that I've never camped in Mordor sways my opinion, always been campervan.

13 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

I'm with you download is bang average as far as festival experience goes, its better than Leeds and Reading but that's about it. 

It's massively bang average and I think a view also if someone needs wrestling etc to fill their time because of lack of bands doesn't mean something is wrong with you, it means it's not a strong year for you. Just because there is one person who will go regardless and loves it doesn't mean everyone follows suit....that's just a plain biased opinion on Download.

The setup at Leeds is better than Download also by a country mile....the crowds are now but its catered that way.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

The setup at Leeds is better than Download also by a country mile.

In the arena I agree. It's compact but with that you do get quite bad sound bleed if such things are important to you. Outside the arena it's a shit show. The whole place is full of chavs too which lessens the experience. Saying all of that I'd go back for line ups like 13 or 15 again.

12 hours ago, devilman said:

In the arena I agree. It's compact but with that you do get quite bad sound bleed if such things are important to you. Outside the arena it's a shit show. The whole place is full of chavs too which lessens the experience. Saying all of that I'd go back for line ups like 13 or 15 again.

It's a shit show because we aren't all 17/18 anymore getting drunk....there are more idiots I get that but again Download is an older crowd that's grown up a bit. Leeds isn't really full of chavs and if were talking about outside of the area then Download fails in comparison to any festival I've done in the UK. It's way too far from the campsites for a start and they do fuck all about the weather until it's there...even though this year they knew it was going to be a washout! I've never experienced a campsite or village as bad as Download is when the rain smashes it down....doesn't back in 2011 I think or something like that when they had to delay the opening of the arena for an hour due to weather and being unprepared....move the first two bands around due to this tell them something about what to do for future years?. The sound on the main stage is good is the one thing I'll give it, the parking costs are outrageous or a day...that's why I need to be able to watch SOAD, Volbeat, Disturbed and POD this year to go and that probably getting a tag along to split fuel etc too. It's the most we've got your money now deal with it festival I've seen in my opinion.

Age is no excuse for the behaviour and conditions I've seen at Leeds. Even TiTP wasn't as bad as that. Other festivals are more civilised, Leeds just attracts them. Half of them don't even seem to make it into the arena as that is never as bad. Think I'll head to Werchter or Graspop in 21. Looking to do an American fest too. Will still be doing Download though.

21 minutes ago, devilman said:

Age is no excuse for the behaviour and conditions I've seen at Leeds. Even TiTP wasn't as bad as that. Other festivals are more civilised, Leeds just attracts them. Half of them don't even seem to make it into the arena as that is never as bad. Think I'll head to Werchter or Graspop in 21. Looking to do an American fest too. Will still be doing Download though.

I did Leeds once and said never again. Really bad crowd

On 11/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, devilman said:

Werchter is decent. Well organised and they try to look after their audience.  In 17 I think it was, there was a lot of rain on the lead up. They extended the plastic covering and took loads of sand into the arena. Was pretty easy walking around despite the conditions 

Just now, Spiral_Low said:

Faith No More teasing something. Can deffo see them taking the fri night 2nd stage headliner spot up against KISS (same as Rob Zombie last year up against Def Leppard)

aren't they too big to headline 2nd?

i see more of them subbing Iron Maiden with Alter Bridge subbing Kiss and Deftones headlining 2nd