Download 2020

gabrielomachado

5 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

The Prodigy only played once and it was because Van Halen pulled out 

They headlined once, they have played at Download before that on the 2nd stage a few times. They actually spoke highly about liking the fest. I don't buy Van Halen were ever going to headline myself.

Edited by jump

15 minutes ago, jump said:

It looks like Prodigy are carrying on, Howlett (the song writer) has said he's writing new music as Prodigy.

It remains to be seen whether they still stand up to headline status given all the change after Kieth Flint's death though. I'm trying to think of a nice way to put this, but if the album that he brings out is awful, it'll end the band before they get a chance to headline Download again. Might be too risky.

1 minute ago, madmaninabox said:

It remains to be seen whether they still stand up to headline status given all the change after Kieth Flint's death though. I'm trying to think of a nice way to put this, but if the album that he brings out is awful, it'll end the band before they get a chance to headline Download again. Might be too risky.

Their first lot of shows regardless of what music comes out from them will have people talking and I can see them headlining the likes of R&L and Download of that imo. They have released music and played live before without Flint and he's not the one who has input into their sound anyway.

1 minute ago, jump said:

Their first lot of shows regardless of what music comes out from them will have people talking and I can see them headlining the likes of R&L and Download of that imo. They have released music and played live before without Flint and he's not the one who has input into their sound anyway.

He was the frontman, he'll be auspicious by his absence. 

13 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

this looks extremely good / optimistic

will discount FNM on Zippo as I feel like that's a no-hoper but as for Mastodon... would they be stuck in third? and left off the original announce? guess their career has stalled a touch, but not sure how many big guns are kept back for the second drop

There's a list of acting touring next year which faith no more is on....giving their stock since the reunion was years ago, I can see them headlining second. Niche band, but not sure how many people would buy a day ticket just to see them.

33 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Fair enough.

As a first-timer this year, the bill is very up my street. Tick the boxes of loads of big boys that I've never seen before. Definitely recycling older bills but there you go.

Would have been cool to see a wildcard like Pixies topping Zippo or subbing mainstage. But I know how limply Smashing Pumpkins were received on a similar tip of past their sell-by-date alt rock

Hoping for Mastodon, Converge, Distillers, Pallbearer, Baroness, Kvelertak and a few of that ilk to pad out the next announce(s)

Smashing Pumpkins had a lot of people leave their set for sure but you had Enter Shikari and Dream Theater both start in the middle of them, one the mass exodus was definitely for Shikari as I was in it.

2 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

Smashing Pumpkins had a lot of people leave their set for sure but you had Enter Shikari and Dream Theater both start in the middle of them, one the mass exodus was definitely for Shikari as I was in it.

I left for ES too and thought SP were quite good before then 

2 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

I left for ES too and thought SP were quite good before then 

Speaking of Shikari. Not letting bands play a stage too small for them because they want to play it needs to be a policy this year. I've rarely felt as crammed in as I did in that Shikari set. Should have definitely been on 2nd stage.

Edited by madmaninabox

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I think this lineup is a damning reflection of how little Download seemingly cares about building and securing headliners for the future. Surely people who go to Download religiously year on year must be getting a little tired of so many repeat headliner bookings? I know headliners are only 3 bands out of 100+ but, for me anyway, headliners still play a big part in how I view a lineup. 

3bckqj.jpg

The problem isnt with the headliners its with the Download ticket buyers, the audience base is very split in the UK unfortunately we will never see Bands headlining Wacken or Bloodstock that arguable could headline download do it because of this. 

The Dream would be to see download have a line up like Hellfest but i just dont see it working especially not when you can just go to hellfest. 

EDIT: Download has tried to hard to remain the "biggest" UK rock festival and its tried to appease so many different fan bases that its lost a lot of the niche fans who might rather go to Desert Fest or Bloodstock just examples. Its kind of hard for them to safely bump people up imo without half of the fans scratching their heads.

Edited by Xeph1995

40 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

The problem isnt with the headliners its with the Download ticket buyers, the audience base is very split in the UK unfortunately we will never see Bands headlining Wacken or Bloodstock that arguable could headline download do it because of this. 

The Dream would be to see download have a line up like Hellfest but i just dont see it working especially not when you can just go to hellfest. 

EDIT: Download has tried to hard to remain the "biggest" UK rock festival and its tried to appease so many different fan bases that its lost a lot of the niche fans who might rather go to Desert Fest or Bloodstock just examples. Its kind of hard for them to safely bump people up imo without half of the fans scratching their heads.

That's the issue, Download can't fail on sales too many times, they already don't sell out. I don't think they try hard to main the UK's biggest rock festival, they talk the talk then primarily book metal with a side of rock when their metal options for that year have run. If they were that focused on the rock element then why not give Alter Bridge a go instead?....not as if SOAD are going to announce their own dates on Download weekend as it would just be silly.

Edited by thewayiam

Can see myself doing the full weekend this year for the first time since 2011

Some bands I expect/would like to see added:

Billy Talent (playing rock am, would put money on them turning up)

Steel Panther (UK tour and Andys favourites)

Sum 41 ( apparently doing the circuit next year)

Idles (would love it but think they will stick with reading, similar size to enter shikari so could headline 3rd)

Atreyu (only did slamdunk last year, new album and haven't had much uk presence since it's release, test the waters for a UK tour?)

Killswitch Engage (new album, be surprised if they aren't there)

1 hour ago, jump said:

Is that meme from the first 10 years of the fest?

I'm counting Avenged Sevenfold, Prodigy, Rammstein, Muse, Biffy and Ozzy for the 10 Downloads prior and including 2020.

2010-2019. 4 new headliners in 2010 if you include both the friday headliners. If you go back to 2009 there's another 3. People whinge no matter who is booked. Don't like it, don't go. Quiet years like 2011, 2014 and 2017 were the best but it won't be like that with this line up. It'll be busy till sunday when Rammstein will take a chunk of the crowd away but the haters would only whinge if they were playing this year cos 3 times etc etc. If only all these new band fans went and spent some money at their gigs then they'd get the push too. Spotify stream numbers do nothing for venues and festival promoters. I'm happy with all of that announcement bar Kiss. Gojira or Offspring against them would be lovely thanks.

14 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

There hasn’t been, though, has there. They’ve only given Slipknot and A7X the push. All of the other ‘new’ headliners that Download have had have headlined major festivals before. 

Many of the ones that some are suggesting like Green Day, Foos, Blink, Pearl Jam,RHCP, etc have headlined major festivals before.