Download 2020

gabrielomachado

6 minutes ago, jump said:

On paper KISS are bigger but I remember seeing their London show struggling to shift tixs a few months ago whilst Alter Bridge and A Day To Remember London arena shows were/are almost sell outs. 

Interesting. Perhaps less in it than I thought. Then again, Kiss played The O2 on a Thursday. Maybe it was bingo night.

Really boring and safe lineup. Plenty will be thrilled with it though, particularly KISS and Maiden. I 100% won’t be going for the weekend. If the SOAD day warrants a day ticket, I’ll likely get one but that remains to be seen. I’m hoping for Deftones under SOAD but KoRn are probably more likely. 

I think this lineup is a damning reflection of how little Download seemingly cares about building and securing headliners for the future. Surely people who go to Download religiously year on year must be getting a little tired of so many repeat headliner bookings? I know headliners are only 3 bands out of 100+ but, for me anyway, headliners still play a big part in how I view a lineup. 

32 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Yeah the lack of variety headline-wise is bizarre, for all the talk in interviews about the bands he wants why doesn't he try harder to actually get any of them?

Great early shout btw.

Because talk is cheap and AC is full of shit doing what a promoter does. The Eddie Hearn of the festival booking world if you like.

35 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Really boring and safe lineup. Plenty will be thrilled with it though, particularly KISS and Maiden. I 100% won’t be going for the weekend. If the SOAD day warrants a day ticket, I’ll likely get one but that remains to be seen. I’m hoping for Deftones under SOAD but KoRn are probably more likely. 

I think this lineup is a damning reflection of how little Download seemingly cares about building and securing headliners for the future. Surely people who go to Download religiously year on year must be getting a little tired of so many repeat headliner bookings? I know headliners are only 3 bands out of 100+ but, for me anyway, headliners still play a big part in how I view a lineup. 

It's been a long time now that it's clear he'll always pick established headliners while around and just rotate every few years.

People moan evey year. Fact is they have several of the biggest names in metal on the line up already. Iron Maiden, SOAD, Korn, Deftones, Disturbed, Gojira. Thats awesome for the average metal fan, a fair few of whom will also like KISS and/or The Offspring. Its a solid bill that will shift the normal number of Download tickets. Plenty more tba too so plenty of scope to mix up old and new.

Edited by Spiral_Low

Just number crunched all headliners from 2003- Present taking out defunct bands, functionally defunct bands, bands who've done a farewell gig at Download and bands now too small to headline. Avenged Sevenfold, Rammstein and a new headliner look like candidates for next year. Could be several bump ups/new headliners if either of the above aren't available.

If you'r generous there's 7 eligible existing headliners to headline next year. If you boil it down you get Avenged Sevenfold and Rammstein.  So surely they have to bring in a new headliner or bump someone up? In this I mean bands who haven't played their last ever Download gig (I mean Aerosmith might take a second bite at that particular tree, but you'd hope they'd be told to **** off). 

Headliner Pool (2003 - Present)

Avenged Sevenfold

AC/DC (if they actually exist)

Biffy Clyro (would they really risk booking them)

Guns n Roses (if they're even touring next year, studio rumour isn't there?)

Metallica (if they even want do Download anymore??)

Muse (would they really risk booking them?)

Rammstein,

1 minute ago, jamieaslee said:

Ik weve literally just had the 1st, but who could be in the next announcement do people think? I'd like to see Code Orange on there, could Black Midi appear or wouldn't they appeal? Same question with IDLES?

some bands who still have tours to sell like Alter Bridge, Five Finger Death Punch and Sabaton

IDLES would be great but i think they would play only 3rd down / 2nd headliner and all those spots are already filled or will be with the bands i mentioned above

1 minute ago, madmaninabox said:

Just number crunched all headliners from 2003- Present taking out defunct bands, functionally defunct bands, bands who've done a farewell gig at Download and bands now too small to headline. Avenged Sevenfold, Rammstein and a new headliner look like candidates for next year. Could be several bump ups/new headliners if either of the above aren't available.

If you'r generous there's 7 eligible existing headliners to headline next year. If you boil it down you get Avenged Sevenfold and Rammstein.  So surely they have to bring in a new headliner or bump someone up? In this I mean bands who haven't played their last ever Download gig (I mean Aerosmith might take a second bite at that particular tree, but you'd hope they'd be told to **** off). 

Avenged Sevenfold

Rammstein,

there are more bands to 2021

Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink.182, Queen + Adam Lambert, Bon Jovi as the big bands who could have done Download already but never did

and for those who will be bumped up i'm thinking about Ghost and Architects. Last time both played was in 2013 and they got 1000x bigger since then, so i think andy is holding these two for so long because they will headline next time they play

Just now, gabrielomachado said:

there are more bands to 2021

Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink.182, Queen + Adam Lambert, Bon Jovi as the big bands who could have done Download already but never did

and for those who will be bumped up i'm thinking about Ghost and Architects. Last time both played was in 2013 and they got 1000x bigger since then, so i think andy is holding these two for so long because they will headline next time they play

All of those bands have been rumoured around Download and never played for donkeys years. It's about time we just accept they aren't doing it for our own sanity. My post was deliberately focused on existing headliners who could come back next year, anyway.  And it seriously looks like just A7X and Rammstein, so you need a new headliner for the first time since 2014 which might be a good thing for the festival.

2 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

Avenged Sevenfold

Rammstein,

I reckon the do they even want to do Download remark applies more to Rammstein. They held out playing Download for years, made a remark when they first headlined that's "it's not fucking a moon landing" (or something like that) when asked how they feel about finally playing at Donnington and are now seemingly a fully fledge stadium act with their stage production too big for festivals and arenas.

1 minute ago, jump said:

I reckon the do they even want to do Download remark applies more to Rammstein. They held out playing Download for years, made a remark when they first headlined that's "it's not fucking a moon landing" (or something like that) when asked how they feel about finally playing at Donnington and are now seemingly a fully fledge stadium act with their stage production too big for festivals and arenas.

If that's true it literally leaves you with Avenged Sevenfold of the repeat headliners for next year.

The loss of Linkin Park and The Prodigy has really hit the festival I guess.

1 minute ago, madmaninabox said:

If that's true it literally leaves you with Avenged Sevenfold of the repeat headliners for next year.

The loss of Linkin Park and The Prodigy has really hit the festival I guess.

It looks like Prodigy are carrying on, Howlett (the song writer) has said he's writing new music as Prodigy.

The Prodigy only played once and it was because Van Halen pulled out but i agreed about Linkin Park, they could have done it in 2018 or this year if chester was alive.

that's already time to bump up some band, i really thought it was going to happen with Alter Bridge this year but again they dediced to book a dinosaur instead of them headliner, just like happened in 2017. Jesus, they are playing O2 arena for the second time, if this is not headliner material i don't know what is.

Like i said before, they might be holding on Ghost and Architects to make a return for so long because they want them to headline next time they play