Download 2020

gabrielomachado

they didn't played download since because of another reasons, it's not like they don't like to play donington

2013 : no european tour / 2014: played sonisphere/glastonbury because it was to early to comeback / 2015: played reading/leeds and not toured in june-july festivals / 2016: no european tour / 2017: no european summer tour / 2018: no european tour / 2019: played their own summer concerts, first ones since 2007

Just now, gabrielomachado said:

they didn't played download since because of another reasons, it's not like they don't like to play donington

2013 : no european tour / 2014: played sonisphere/glastonbury because it was to early to comeback / 2015: played reading/leeds and not toured in june-july festivals / 2016: no european tour / 2017: no european summer tour / 2018: no european tour / 2019: played their own summer concerts, first ones since 2007

Honestly, I just don't want to talk myself into the possibility they could headline only for them not too again. So I've decided unless they're on the bill their not in contnetion.

I'd probably have to knock one out over the line up poster if Maiden and Metallica are both announced though. 

1 hour ago, madmaninabox said:

It's a possibility I'm not denying that I just can't see them next year for some reason. I certainly can't see both Metallica and Maiden at least that's what killed Sonisphere.

You think it was Metallic and Maiden that killed Sonisphere?, KISS, Queen and FNM being booked that did that and sustainability.

Edited by thewayiam

Sonisphere was killed off as there weren't enough acts in the pool to support another major rock fest. It was more Sonisphere's stubbornness than anything, Frank Turner tells a story about how Sonisphere wouldn't let him play R&L as well so he just cancelled his Sonisphere appearance. Their idea of having a travelling European festival didn't really seem to work either, as soon as Soni would get to the UK their acts would then go off to other UK fests.

It's a shame as I much preferred Sonisphere's site than Downloads, they are also seemed to get more creative (for the time) with their line ups.

35 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

The bands you mention aren't ludicrously expensive. 

No but Queen aren't a festival booking and FNM had their reunion time and it went, they only headlined Download due to reunion.

As said, to work there need to be a bigger pool of bands, if they were playing Download then Soni would struggle. They also tried to dip into stuff in a kind of Download/Reading crossover middle brand having metal and more rock/Weezer types of indie but again just not sustainable, it would have been the fest trying to run what other year and that then means Reading was much more likely along with other August fests.

Shame as the setup and organisation as said was much better.

3 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

It's a possibility I'm not denying that I just can't see them next year for some reason. I certainly can't see both Metallica and Maiden at least that's what killed Sonisphere.

Sorry but I think that's a really bizare statement. Iron Maiden and Metallica was a huge sucess for Sonisphere. I was that weekend it was rammed!! What killed it was lack of big names the next year plus the fact they weren't making much money anyway (smaller and more compact that Download = less food/drinks sales and less merch sales etc). Plus other reasons that have neen mentioned!

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

Sorry but I think that's a really bizare statement. Iron Maiden and Metallica was a huge sucess for Sonisphere. I was that weekend it was rammed!! What killed it was lack of big names the next year plus the fact they weren't making much money anyway (smaller and more compact that Download = less food/drinks sales and less merch sales etc). Plus other reasons that have neen mentioned!

So who Download book next year if they lump on Maiden and Metallica this year?

Black Sabbath are gone.

Ozzy Osbourne is gone.

Aerosmith are gone.

Rush are gone.

Guns N Roses are sort of gone.

Proper AC/DC can't perform live anymore..

Would be too son for Slipknot.

Avenged wouldn't draw the kind of crowd of the aboves.

Tool are a once in a blue moon booking and their crowd was pretty small.

Edited by madmaninabox

2 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

So who Download book next year if they lump on Maiden and Metallica this year?

Black Sabbath are gone.

Ozzy Osbourne is gone.

Aerosmith are gone.

Rush are gone.

Guns N Roses are sort of gone.

Proper AC/DC can't perform live anymore..

Would be too son for Slipknot.

Avenged wouldn't draw the kind of crowd of the aboves.

Tool are a once in a blue moon booking and their crowd was pretty small.

Pearl Jam,  Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters all 3 big bands who have yet to do it. 

Plus there are bands like The Cure and Depeche Mode who honestly if Muse and Biffy Clyro can headline then so can they.

Metallica and Maiden would equal a massive crowd and tonnes of merch sales which means less risk when spending money the next year (i.e more sitting in the bank).

Korm as discussed deserve the bump up at some point. 

And the Tool crowd was big once Slayer had finished.

7 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Pearl Jam,  Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters all 3 big bands who have yet to do it. 

Plus there are bands like The Cure and Depeche Mode who honestly if Muse and Biffy Clyro can headline then so can they.

Metallica and Maiden would equal a massive crowd and tonnes of merch sales which means less risk when spending money the next year (i.e more sitting in the bank).

Korm as discussed deserve the bump up at some point. 

And the Tool crowd was big once Slayer had finished.

Pearl Jam have been booked and then not come through so many times it's a joke.

NIN would be amazing but they same to not be that easily available.

Grohl got a horrendous reception with Them Crooked Vultures from what I've heard, possibly turned off the fest. Or more likely he's getting better offers elsewhere.

Korn deserve the bump up I agree.

Tool - It may have been but your looking at more than a couple of years for them to come back. That said everyone I spoke to would have rather seen both, it was a clash that should never have happened. (But would then one of them would have likely clashed harder with Shikari, so no one wins)

If we were to say Maiden and Metallica were booked for 2020 then some of these wouldn't work, some would.

I think The Cure could just about fly but Depeche Mode would result in a lot of head scratching in some quarters.

Edited by madmaninabox

53 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

Grohl got a horrendous reception with Them Crooked Vultures from what I've heard, possibly turned off the fest. Or more likely he's getting better offers elsewhere.

I really doubt they haven't booked Foo Fighters, one of the biggest rock bands today with one of the most liked people in the industry, because one of Grohl's side projects where's he's not even the frontman was received weirdly in a weird situation where he's headlining the main stage even though there's another stage with the real headliners elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I've had a go at a line up poster! I've gone for realistic and along the lines of what I'm expecting the line up to be . I opted for Maiden because as much as I've got a serious AC/DC hunch, Maiden are the old reliable and far more realistic. 
4aMS6QW.jpg

Leave those posters to Hard Attack man, could you have a weaker Friday lol, KSE 3rd down....really?!

Friday and Saturday definitely look like what you want more than what's realistic.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Leave those posters to Hard Attack man, could you have a weaker Friday lol, KSE 3rd down....really?!

Friday and Saturday definitely look like what you want more than what's realistic.

I can’t think of anything more boring that FFDP and SOAD headlining, so it’s definitely not what I want :lol: 

8 minutes ago, jump said:

I really doubt they haven't booked Foo Fighters, one of the biggest rock bands today with one of the most liked people in the industry, because one of Grohl's side projects where's he's not even the frontman was received weirdly in a weird situation where he's headlining the main stage even though there's another stage with the real headliners elsewhere.

Maybe not. But it probably didn't leave him with the greatest impression of the place.

There's a rumour he was scheduled to play Download the year he had to play Glastonbury cos he'd broke his leg wasn't there?