Download 2020

gabrielomachado

Just now, dentalplan said:

I don't think Green Day doing this tour means they did it out of not wanting to do Download. They had an opportunity to do a big tour with Fall Out Boy and Weezer - I don't think that rules Green Day out of doing Download, nor do I think this tour rules Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, whoever else out of it either.

I do get what Andre is saying though. I don’t think Foo Fighters will ever headline Download.

Doing their own shows, Reading, Big Weekend, Glastonbury is a solid cycle for them. It works every time.

Download is a festival which isn’t broadcast by the BBC - it’s not a great promotional spot for those who want it.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I do get what Andre is saying though. I don’t think Foo Fighters will ever headline Download.

Doing their own shows, Reading, Big Weekend, Glastonbury is a solid cycle for them. It works every time.

Download is a festival which isn’t broadcast by the BBC - it’s not a great promotional spot for those who want it.

Then do R1BW and Download fuck. It's a pay day.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Green Day doing this tour isn't out of not wanting to do Download - they had an opportunity to do a big tour with Fall Out Boy and Weezer. I don't think that rules Green Day out of doing Download, nor do I think this tour rules Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, whoever else out of it either.

Pearl Jam have been booked twice and pulled out (from AC himself) so I can’t ever see them doing it. Green Day have been approached several times and it’s never worked out (also from AC) and this is another time it hasn’t worked out. I don’t think RHCP will ever do it and I’m also not really sure if Blink will ever do it if they aren’t there next year when promoting this next album. 

Foo Fighters are the only ones who I could see doing it eventually but, as mentioned above, they’ve got it really comfortable doing the same thing they always do. 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Pearl Jam have been booked twice and pulled out (from AC himself) so I can’t ever see them doing it. Green Day have been approached several times and it’s never worked out (also from AC) and this is another time it hasn’t worked out. I don’t think RHCP will ever do it and I’m also not really sure if Blink will ever do it if they aren’t there next year when promoting this next album. 

Foo Fighters are the only ones who I could see doing it eventually but, as mentioned above, they’ve got it really comfortable doing the same thing they always do. 

Why did PJ pull out both those times? They're really flaky with tour schedules so I don't suppose it's anything against Download. I did actually think they didn't want to play hard rock festivals but if they've agreed to play Download in the past then I don't see an obstacle.

Didn't Mark Hoppus play this year in another band too? I could see all those bands doing it if other fests don't beat them to the booking, and they can't every time. Reading is gonna continue to move to the centre and FR is gonna need a place to shuffle off all their old rock heads; they'll land some of these big boys for sure.

4 minutes ago, antros23 said:

i dont think kiss headline will be a good booking. many people dont want them to play and they are supposely

retiring this year. i prefer 2 famous headliners to play like metallica system or iron maiden and a new headliner like korn alter bridge or bring me the horizon

You make it sound like KISS aren't famous. I mean Gene Simmons does UK daytime tv and chat shows, I can't see Serj doing that.

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Because they have again chosen not to play Download and do their own thing. I mean the bands who could have all done DL by now but haven’t. The ones that are mentioned as apparently not wanting to play festivals like DL for whatever reason. 

Yeah, if they had an association with Download previously like Foo's have with reading it may be different but Green Day know they can go away and reappear every 4/5 years and sell out their own dates....albeit not as quick these days. It took them 9 years to play Reading again and I'm surprised they allowed the big outdoor gig too. While on this, the minute they play Glastonbury to that many people it could then have a future effect on sales for them and as said Weezer naturally see for them in this tour than a stop by Glastonbury playing 2nd down the Other stage, I personally see much more in it for us than them...they were selling tickets at £50+ for academy dates last time, they'll play less songs on this tour as support obviously but the gist is there. Last time I saw Green Day at Wembley, albeit with only Frank T supporting it cost the same as their lowest seats for this tour without the fees.

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah, if they had an association with Download previously like Foo's have with reading it may be different but Green Day know they can go away and reappear every 4/5 years and sell out their own dates....albeit not as quick these days. It took them 9 years to play Reading again and I'm surprised they allowed the big outdoor gig too. While on this, the minute they play Glastonbury to that many people it could then have a future effect on sales for them and as said Weezer naturally see for them in this tour than a stop by Glastonbury playing 2nd down the Other stage, I personally see much more in it for us than them...they were selling tickets at £50+ for academy dates last time, they'll play less songs on this tour as support obviously but the gist is there. Last time I saw Green Day at Wembley, albeit with only Frank T supporting it cost the same as their lowest seats for this tour without the fees.

That was 10 years ago so you have to adjust for inflation and they had Joan Jett supporting them as well as Frank Turner.

56 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

Queens Of The Stone Age? I'm suprised they haven't headlined yet 

Was going to say that they co-headlined Reading in 2014 and hadn't done anything of any worth to warrant them headlining Download, but apparently they released an album in 2017, which completely went under the radar, literally had no idea.

I don't think they would headline if they played. Would they be more likely to play Reading and Leeds?

1 hour ago, Traher666 said:

Was going to say that they co-headlined Reading in 2014 and hadn't done anything of any worth to warrant them headlining Download, but apparently they released an album in 2017, which completely went under the radar, literally had no idea.

I don't think they would headline if they played. Would they be more likely to play Reading and Leeds?

Queens would definitely headline if they played. Their last album was great and they headlined a big outdoor gig in London on it. 

The direction QOTSA took with their last album probably wouldn't lend itself too much to Download, but I'm sure they'll switch it up again (and hopefully rock out a bit more) come the next album. Still don't think they'll headline Download any time soon though. They'd be a good and fresh headliner booking, but... well, that's exactly why they won't be headlining. 

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The direction QOTSA took with their last album probably wouldn't lend itself too much to Download, but I'm sure they'll switch it up again (and hopefully rock out a bit more) come the next album.

They might have worked with Ronson but I don't think it was a pop album or anything. It's just the same as usual but incredibly dumbed down.

They won't be touring next year though. All busy with other stuff.

50 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The direction QOTSA took with their last album probably wouldn't lend itself too much to Download, but I'm sure they'll switch it up again (and hopefully rock out a bit more) come the next album. Still don't think they'll headline Download any time soon though. They'd be a good and fresh headliner booking, but... well, that's exactly why they won't be headlining. 

Can't see QOTSA being booked to headline Download at all, they got sub but that's as far as will happen with them, unsure with R&L as I don't see them being a headline choice over others these days.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Queens would definitely headline if they played. Their last album was great and they headlined a big outdoor gig in London on it. 

Apart from the bar system being a fucking huge joke and they didn't play Feel Good Hit of The Summer that was actually a pretty decent day. The line up was great with Iggy Pop, Run The Jewels, The Hives, Deep Valley but it felt like a missed opportunity not to have The Distillers play even tho they had reformed and played in the US and Brody did a solo set at the fest.

Edited by jump

25 minutes ago, Sammybb said:

Guys does anyone know when general sale for camper van passes are please? I'm taking my brother who has special needs and he won't go unless we are in a camper/motorhome.

Sold out before people on site this year left the site! :D 

Some will probably have been bought by resellers if you want to go down that route.

If your bro has special needs accessibility camping may be an option. 

Edited by madmaninabox