Download 2020

gabrielomachado

Sunday: 90% chance Kiss are playing, which I'm not at all thrilled about. Could also be AC/DC.

Saturday: I'm guessing Metallica, Iron Maiden or SOAD.  Please none of them (aside Metallica).

SOAD have nothing new to offer and Maiden seem like Copping's 'safe' band. Metallica are due for a return, I guess.

Friday: Likely a smaller band unless they get AC/DC again (would be a Sat/Sun band if they didn't bring their own stage).

Smaller headliners - ADTR, Alter Bridge, Korn, FFDP, Ghost. Out of those I see Alter Bridge making the jump, but they don't have that "wow" factor most headliners bring. Felt the same with Biffy. I could be wrong and Copping's like "Sod it, I'll get Bring Me."

7 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Surely The Ghost Inside aren’t anywhere near that big? Like not even big enough to headline the Avalanche? 

I think the occasion an the rarity could warrant it. They’re only playing one mainland European show in 2020 and I think Download will be their only other one in Europe. There is so much good will towards them (and rightly so) that if they decided to do their own shows, they could probably do a couple of nights at Brixton. Their comeback show drew 30,000+ in California but I know that’s their home state. 

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

People would still lap it up as it’s System. 

They don't tour that often though. I didn't attend Download 2017 and couldn't make their Wembley date, but other than those I was at their most recent UK gig, 7 years ago. Everyone wants new material from them, but I do think they'll be a sizeable cohort who have never seen them, or wouldn't mind another go. It's what separates them for me from Kiss' potential booking. No new material but an abundance of opportunities to see them since their last Download date.

I understand it's frustrating for the crowd that attend year in, year out though. 

10 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

They don't tour that often though. I didn't attend Download 2017 and couldn't make their Wembley date, but other than those I was at their most recent UK gig, 7 years ago. Everyone wants new material from them, but I do think they'll be a sizeable cohort who have never seen them, or wouldn't mind another go. It's what separates them for me from Kiss' potential booking. No new material but an abundance of opportunities to see them since their last Download date.

I understand it's frustrating for the crowd that attend year in, year out though. 

To be fair, I'd prefer them without a new album, as want the greatest hits set, not a lot of new ones. 

That's what's putting me off getting Green Day tickets - new album - I just want the hits.  New music doesn't exist for me post 2005!!

18 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Love, love, love SOAD.

But the 2017 performance was just dull. They really are just doing the 'traveling t-shirt salesmen routine'.

You could effortlessly get to the front barrier through their whole performance (I crowd surfed out maybe 5 or 6 times and got back to the front and center(ish) without any difficulty. ). Which was an indicator of the audiences un-enthusiasm.

11 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

To be fair, I'd prefer them without a new album, as want the greatest hits set, not a lot of new ones. 

That's what's putting me off getting Green Day tickets - new album - I just want the hits.  New music doesn't exist for me post 2005!!

Unless the new ones are hits :ph34r:. I thought there was absolutely no chance Fear Inoculum could live up to the hype but here we are. 

1 minute ago, scrubbertheman said:

But the 2017 performance was just dull. They really are just doing the 'traveling t-shirt salesmen routine'.

You're not the first person I've heard say that, so I'd absolutely go in with diminished expectations if it did happen. I'm sure a lot of people thought that watching Pumpkins this year, who I thought were great.

I just want to hear Prison Song and Deer Dance again. 

48 minutes ago, scrubbertheman said:

Love, love, love SOAD.

You could effortlessly get to the front barrier through their whole performance (I crowd surfed out maybe 5 or 6 times and got back to the front and center(ish) without any difficulty. ). Which was an indicator of the audiences un-enthusiasm.

Completely agree with this. It was the first time I'd seen SOAD in ten years, walked away from it, hot garbage.

1 hour ago, scrubbertheman said:

Love, love, love SOAD.

I'd agree with the DL performance being dull.  Saw them a couple of weeks later at Rock Werchter and it was like night and day.  They were absolutely brilliant at RW

I saw SOAD in 11, 13 at Leeds, Wembley and 17. Wembley was amazing. 17 felt brilliant at the time but the highlights sounded awful. 11 is still my favourite despite others telling me they were shadows of their former selves. I still have that setlist as a playlist in my van. I'd be happy if they came back next year but can understand why others wouldn't like it. 

SOAD, Metallica and Kiss would be a good trio of headliners. With bands like Rammstein, Green Day and maybe Maiden doing their own shows apart from festivals Download will need the most strong and popular trio that they can get, maybe next year will not be the time to push some bands like ADTR and Alter Bridge to headline yet.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Three solid headliners that would sell despite the fact it’s dead as fuck.

I'm sighing in disappointment already, and we've still a month to go.

SOAD are one of those bands where people (especially casual fans/those new to Download) hype them up to a point they're a "once in a lifetime experience".. Same with Rammstein. Once you've seen them, the novelty wears off unless you're a big fan.

Sat with a group in 2017. Told me straight up that I'm wasting my time watching Sum 41, because SOAD were THE band to see regardless whether I'd seen them before (2011). Saw the group again the next day and all of them were "Meh."

4 minutes ago, Featherweight said:

Can someone tell me why Kiss, Metallica or SOAD? Is there some evidence, that they are touring around summer?  

SOAD are rumoured to Hellfest, while Kiss and Metallica are only speculation. The only headliner level bands that are already rumoured to tour summer are Maiden, Aerosmith and SOAD.

• Like 1

Metallica are doing a South America tour in April. So it kinda makes sense for them to then do European festival over the summer to wrap up the Hardwired tour. 

I think Copping would only get KISS or Aerosmith if other bands aren't available. I can't seem them being in the 1st or even 2nd choice bracket these days. He needs to sell tickets after all. I think it will be Korn or SOAD, Metalica and Iron Maiden. Its a play it safe line up that would shift tickets. If not Maiden then I think he would try for Pearl Jam.

Edited by Spiral_Low

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why? And what is their ilk?

Because they have again chosen not to play Download and do their own thing. I mean the bands who could have all done DL by now but haven’t. The ones that are mentioned as apparently not wanting to play festivals like DL for whatever reason. 

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Because they have again chosen not to play Download and do their own thing. I mean the bands who could have all done DL by now but haven’t. The ones that are mentioned as apparently not wanting to play festivals like DL for whatever reason. 

Green Day doing this tour isn't out of not wanting to do Download - they had an opportunity to do a big tour with Fall Out Boy and Weezer. I don't think that rules Green Day out of doing Download, nor do I think this tour rules Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, whoever else out of it either.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1