Download 2020

gabrielomachado

On 8/30/2019 at 3:57 PM, Spiral_Low said:

Slipknot sold out Cardiff general standing today within a morning, whereas i'm still constantly getting adverts for Ghost for same areana. Nothing against Ghost and good on them for doing that big a venue, just saying though it does demonstrate the gulf between the established Download bands and those talked about for future.

Not really a fair comparison though... Slipknot have a new number 1 album out and have been doing arenas and headlining Download for 10 years now. Ghost will probably get there though because they appeal to both young and old fans which is quite rare for contemporary bands.

1 hour ago, escapehere said:

Not really a fair comparison though... Slipknot have a new number 1 album out and have been doing arenas and headlining Download for 10 years now. Ghost will probably get there though because they appeal to both young and old fans which is quite rare for contemporary bands.

I still think Ghost are a sub-headliner at most. I feel the same about ADTR and Alter Bridge... Though I'd prefer them over SOAD or a 'classic' band that headlines every other year.

2 hours ago, escapehere said:

Was simply pointing out the current gulf between current Download headliners and potential future ones. People here talk about bands nowhere near Slipknot's level as headliners for 2020 or 2021. Just giving that as example of why thats unlikely.

1 hour ago, dannymichaels said:

I still think Ghost are a sub-headliner at most. I feel the same about ADTR and Alter Bridge... Though I'd prefer them over SOAD or a 'classic' band that headlines every other year.

Sorry yeah by 'get there' I didn't mean next time they play - sub or 3rd or second stage headliner in the next 2 years i'd imagine.

The Ghost Inside are playing Full Force in Germany the weekend of 26-28 June as an exclusive German show. It doesn’t say European exclusive so they’re obviously doing dates in other countries. I think we’re getting them at Download :D Avalanche headliner would be perfect but could the circumstances surrounding them and the years of absence warrant them headlining the Zippo? 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

The Ghost Inside are playing Full Force in Germany the weekend of 26-28 June as an exclusive German show. It doesn’t say European exclusive so they’re obviously doing dates in other countries. I think we’re getting them at Download :D Avalanche headliner would be perfect but could the circumstances surrounding them and the years of absence warrant them headlining the Zippo? 

I think it definitely could warrant that, yes. 

Though, I might think that because I just really want it to happen. 

Edited by Reece1617

11 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

I think Royal Blood could be a Sub or Co this year. They have never been to Download but they have a new album coming soon (3rd) and both there other albums have been numbers ones and they are a good live band. I feel they could be at Download 2020. Thoughts? 

they actually played Download in 2014 in a tent when they were not popular. and download don't have co-headliners, so they would be headlining. it would be great but i think there's other bands to get the push to headline first before them

1 hour ago, gabrielomachado said:

they actually played Download in 2014 in a tent when they were not popular. and download don't have co-headliners, so they would be headlining. it would be great but i think there's other bands to get the push to headline first before them

Potential Sub then? I feel they could easily sub then return as headliners in the future.

1 hour ago, gabrielomachado said:

i think they will headline Reading very soon instead

Reading wouldn't have them back to headline the year after they subbed, perhaps 2021 or later.

I do think they'd go down incredibly as a sub at Download, their songs have got some phenomenal riffs.

Yes they may have more of a crossover with an indie/rock fanbase than DL's, but they'd fit superbly well under one of the more established, classic headliners.

They sold out Manchester Arena and 3 nights at Ally Pally back in 2017 and will only get bigger with the new album, would be a very strong sub to have.

Have seen talk on here previously of QOTSA headlining DL one year, if that's feasible then Royal Blood as a sub definitely is too.

Edited by R Shah

6 hours ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

I think Royal Blood could be a Sub or Co this year. They have never been to Download but they have a new album coming soon (3rd) and both there other albums have been numbers ones and they are a good live band. I feel they could be at Download 2020. Thoughts? 

6 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

they actually played Download in 2014 in a tent when they were not popular.

They were very popular and the tent was dangerously rammed despite being up against Rival Sons and Black Label Society. They were on the crest of the wave generated by Out of the Black. I think they are big enough now to sub, possibly headline but y'know, all the haterz and that.

17 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I would say they're too big to sub Download. They might not be appropriate to please Download goers as a headliner but I don't think that should see them consigned to a sub slot.

Too big to sub, not big enough to headline. Even headlining Friday's a bit of a stretch. 

Though I think they'd be down for subbing a big band like Metallica or Foo Fighters.

9 minutes ago, dannymichaels said:

Too big to sub, not big enough to headline. Even headlining Friday's a bit of a stretch. 

Though I think they'd be down for subbing a big band like Metallica or Foo Fighters.

Their second album tour sold out arenas and each record has sold enormous amounts. They have so much name recognition, even if it’s with a crowd not typically going to Download. Bundling them in with a stadium headliner would be mad when you have ADTR or someone on another day who can’t get arrested in the mainstream.

Edited by dentalplan

Fridat

MS: QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE, Royal Blood, Ghost, Stone Sour, Therapy?, Batushka, Bokassa, Puppy Zippo: Korn Avalanche: Refused, Black Flag Dogtooth: Mayhem, The Black Queen

Saturday

MS: BLINK-182, You Me At Six, Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, Neck Deep, The Hives, While She Sleeps, FIDLAR, Yonaka Zippo: Pendulum Avalanche: Ghostemane, Trash Boat Dogtooth: Carpenter Brut, Daughters

Sunday 

METALLICA, Five Finger Death Punch, Architects, Gorjira, Killswitch Engage, Crossfaith, Code Orange, Venom Prison Zippo: Weezer Avalanche: Alkaline Trio, Turnstile Dogtooth: Ho9909, Show Me The Body