Download 2020

gabrielomachado

BMTH’s APE weekend was slap bang in the middle of Slam Dunk and Download. They had already toured an extensive arena tour in December and Architects had played their biggest ever shows even closer to the festival. Lots of people in London had already seen both bands relatively recently. 

• Like 2

Just now, Andre91 said:

BMTH’s APE weekend was slap bang in the middle of Slam Dunk and Download. They had already toured an extensive arena tour in December and Architects had played their biggest ever shows even closer to the festival. Lots of people in London had already seen both bands relatively recently. 

and it was on a week day

Hey AC we're available for Download.

Yeah that's fine can you sub or headline 2nd?

No we want to headline.

Sorry those positions are filled with ticket shifters.

Fuck you then we'll do our own thing. You'll see.

LOL! My schoolday, weekday headliners playing close to Slam Dunk and APE did ok despite having just done an extensive tour. What am I supposed to be seeing here?

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, escapehere said:

lol ffs they're in their early 30's... They could be headlining in 20 years for all we know. 

They surfed the crest of a fad wave. It's gone. Their popularity peaked in 2016 and they didn't sell enough tickets then to warrant a headline slot. They sell a lot less now. Sykes' voice has got worse, not that it was ever good and they have changed direction anyway. They are done. Of course I could be wrong and they may write and release a couple of genius banging albums and get right to the top. Can't see it though. Matalcore fanbois should unite behind Parkway. They're the only ones that have emerged from that genre with the goods to make it.

Edited by devilman

38 minutes ago, devilman said:

They surfed the crest of a fad wave. It's gone. Their popularity peaked in 2016 and they didn't sell enough tickets then to warrant a headline slot. They sell a lot less now. Sykes' voice has got worse, not that it was ever good and they have changed direction anyway. They are done. Of course I could be wrong and they may write and release a couple of genius banging albums and get right to the top. Can't see it though. Matalcore fanbois should unite behind Parkway. They're the only ones that have emerged from that genre with the goods to make it.

How many tickets would Parkway Drive sell at APE?

Edited by escapehere

3 hours ago, escapehere said:

No idea. They had the biggest crowd ever at Bloodstock though. And that's despite being a controversial booking and abhorrent to the Bloodstock faithful. HTH.

4 hours ago, escapehere said:

They sold 6-7k at Nottingham Arena judging by what was curtained off and how the floor wasn’t full. 

Anyway, Parkway Drive are fucking rad and will definitely headline Download one day and absolutely blow a lot of other headliners out of the water. But it isn’t happening yet. It won’t even happen on the next album cycle because they just aren’t big enough yet. 

13 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

Megadeth will support Five Finger Death Punch next year in europe. I guess both of them will be on the bill

I'd say that rules them out (if they do UK dates as part of it). Same as Disturbed and Alice In Chaims this year - chose to do own dates rather than do Download.

Edited by Spiral_Low

1 hour ago, escapehere said:

Ok sure.. BMTH played to 7 people and Parkway Drive played to 500,000.

BMTH played to a sparse field of freeloaders and Parkway played to a rammed field of people who paid to be there. These things are important when booking headliners that may bankrupt you if you get it wrong. Ask Sonisphere. The biggest ever crowd is a quote from Vicky Hungerford who books Bloodstock. 

42 minutes ago, devilman said:

BMTH played to a sparse field of freeloaders and Parkway played to a rammed field of people who paid to be there. These things are important when booking headliners that may bankrupt you if you get it wrong. Ask Sonisphere. The biggest ever crowd is a quote from Vicky Hungerford who books Bloodstock. 

Out of BMTH and Parkway Drive it's not even up for debate which one would be more likely headline Download next year. Parkway Drive may be in the mix in 5 years or so and I hope they are. Anyway, I don't actually expect either of them at all next year... not that I have any idea who to expect right now.

BMTH are not headlining Download, their tour sold shit, yes better than Parkway Drive but they are bigger.

Also, AC is a knob but he didn't say SOAD can't headline anymore, he said they've only just kept that status after accepting sub at Reading. We all known he'll book them over BMTH to headline if the option arises. If the festival wasn't made up of a a lot of die hard fans that attend regardless it would have struggled to hold it's place by now. As said, it's a niche market where people will pay to see Maiden every year for eg and that's what keeps it going.

Edited by thewayiam

Has to be said that after seeing ADTR this weekend, as much as I enjoyed it, they are not major festival headliners at this point yet. Also comparing them to A7X who have been previously labelled a weak headliner, they sold their dates massively quicker than ADTR did with good support as well.

9 hours ago, VCK said:

If their new album reaches number 1 like their first two, how about Royal Blood as headliners? No less suitable of a choice than Muse or Biffy Clyro have been.

Muse worked as its one of those bands many metalheads now in their 30s and late 20s (a key download demographic) grew up listening to. So that fitted with the younger crowd knowing them too. Biffy I don't think would be back as that year sold rather averagely for Download but who knows. Royal Blood though are firmly seen on the Reading/Leeds side of the rock spectrum thesedays and honestly i dont think would go down we at all at Download.

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

Muse worked as its one of those bands many metalheads now in their 30s and late 20s (a key download demographic) grew up listening to. So that fitted with the younger crowd knowing them too. Biffy I don't think would be back as that year sold rather averagely for Download but who knows. Royal Blood though are firmly seen on the Reading/Leeds side of the rock spectrum thesedays and honestly i dont think would go down we at all at Download.

I'd put all 3 of them as incorrect Download bookings, Biffy was never the right choice, Copping himself made a point of not being impressed by their sub slot previous to it and to be fair I'm a fan and it was just all a bit not right, it didn't connect and was probably the least memorable time I've seen them.

53 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I'd put all 3 of them as incorrect Download bookings, Biffy was never the right choice, Copping himself made a point of not being impressed by their sub slot previous to it and to be fair I'm a fan and it was just all a bit not right, it didn't connect and was probably the least memorable time I've seen them.

Im not a Muse fan tbh, was watching Marilyn Manson whilst they were on.

6 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Im not a Muse fan tbh, was watching Marilyn Manson whilst they were on.

Not been a Muse fan since BH&R. I went to see them after that at Wembley on the Resistance tour so just got in before they totally went to pot, with I believe Biffy Clyro supporting and it wasn't my most fun Muse show. Too much Exogenesis rubbish with a flying ufo

Edited by thewayiam