Download 2020

gabrielomachado

download really needs to get new headliners. in the last 2 years they lost Linkin Park, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith and The Prodigy. and now Rammstein doesn't seem to do festivals anymore and maybe Metallica will do the same. They need to push bands already headline size like Alter Bridge or Bring Me The Horizon and try something new with other big names like Blink and Foo's who never played but are headline-size

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Download only have 12 active current headliners who could feasibly still do it, everyone knows they need more.

Metallica, Maiden, Rammstein, Kiss, Def Leppard, System of a Down, Slipknot, Tool, Green Day, Blink 182, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Ozzy, Avenged Sevenfold, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Muse, Biffy Clyro, Bon Jovi, Red Hot Chili Peppers- that's 21 proven festival headliners that are still active to some degree at the moment & could headline Download. 

That's without the ones that you could argue either way for e.g. - ADTR, BMTH, Alter Bridge, Korn, NIN etc. 

Of course a lot of the acts on that list are reaching the end of their careers, so Download should be looking to the long term future I agree. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Metallica, Maiden, Rammstein, Kiss, Def Leppard, System of a Down, Slipknot, Tool, Green Day, Blink 182, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Ozzy, Avenged Sevenfold, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Muse, Biffy Clyro, Bon Jovi - that's 20 proven festival headliners that are still active to some degree at the moment & could headline Download. 

That's without the ones that you could argue either way for e.g. - ADTR, BMTH, Alter Bridge, Korn, NIN etc. 

Of course a lot of the acts on that list are reaching the end of their careers, so Download should be looking to the long term future I agree. 

The 12 I counted, for what it's worth, I've put in bold in your comment. Ozzy and AC/DC I guess are still going to some degree but they're both realistically on the verge of retirement and I don't see either headlining again, personally.

I'm not denying there are plenty of bands they can have headline. Fact is they haven't for one reason or another.

1 minute ago, Jericode said:

The 12 I counted, for what it's worth, I've put in bold in your comment. Ozzy and AC/DC I guess are still going to some degree but they're both realistically on the verge of retirement and I don't see either headlining again, personally.

I'm not denying there are plenty of bands they can have headline. Fact is they haven't for one reason or another.

They have tried on occasion. Of the ones that jump out to me straight away: Foo Fighters were provisionally booked in 08 & pulled out. Pearl Jam were provisionally booked in 13 & pulled out. Green Day were very nearly booked in 17 but chose BST instead. 

1 minute ago, Jericode said:

I'm aware of all of this, it's been discussed at length.

You can't tell me you count Pearl Jam as a 'current' Download headliner when they've never even played the festival, whether they were booked or not is irrelevant.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'current' Download headliner because that isn't a thing? They've obviously never played before, but that doesn't mean they won't & I thought that was the point of the conversation...

Copping named Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters & Van Halen as his dream bookings in 2018, so in that regard yes I'd say they're very 'current' when the booker looks at who he wants to headline... 

PAST: Headlined and probably won't again

CURRENT: Already headlined, still could 

FUTURE: Not headlined yet and could

I don't see the difficulty in understanding that. My point was they have 12 I'd say are current based on the above. Van Halen haven't played a gig anywhere for 4 years and they haven't done the UK since what, 1995? They aren't in anyone's 'current' headliner pool.

Edited by Jericode

Just now, Jericode said:

PAST: Headlined and probably won't again

CURRENT: Already headlined, still could 

FUTURE: Not headlined yet and could

I don't see the difficulty in understanding that. 

Perhaps if you'd provided this handy key with your first post the confusion would have been avoided. I assumed we were both using the actual definition of the word current, rather than in the context you have now provided with this handy key. Past or previous were perhaps the more accurate words you were looking for to describe what you meant. i.e. 'of the past or previous headliners only 12 could still headline again in the future.'

Anyway, glad we cleared that up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I’d argue that within the confines of Download, Slipknot are in that top tier bracket with Metallica and Maiden. They clearly aren’t outside of Download as they couldn’t do stadiums here but if we’re talking strictly in terms of their pull at DL, I think they’re just as big. 

If this Cardiff date sells out, I’d muse that Rammstein are bigger than Maiden currently.

MK - 35k 

Coventry - 40k 

Cardiff - 45/50k? 

When was the last time Maiden played stadiums?

Maiden are definitely Download’s safest bet for a headliner, however. Look how many times they’ve played and look how well they’ve gone down each time. They’ll always show up ever 3-4 years until they retire and the vast majority of DL’s audience won’t care.

Maiden tend to do festivals and arenas but I’m sure they could sell a tour the size of Rammstein’s in MK, Cov and Cardiff pretty easily.

8 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Maiden tend to do festivals and arenas but I’m sure they could sell a tour the size of Rammstein’s in MK, Cov and Cardiff pretty easily.

I really wouldn’t be so sure. Arenas and the one festival in the country that caters to your audience is one is thing but stadiums is a different bag all together. Other than their two appearances at Download, Rammstein haven’t toured here since 2013, I believe. Not everybody is up for going to Download. That’s a lot of people who haven’t had the opportunity to see them for quite a long while. I think that’s why Rammstein’s current tour has been so successful. Maiden tour arenas every couple of years. They’re always about. 

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I really wouldn’t be so sure. Arenas and the one festival in the country that caters to your audience is one is thing but stadiums is a different bag all together. Other than their two appearances at Download, Rammstein haven’t toured here since 2013, I believe. Not everybody is up for going to Download. That’s a lot of people who haven’t had the opportunity to see them for quite a long while. I think that’s why Rammstein’s current tour has been so successful. Maiden tour arenas every couple of years. They’re always about. 

Just to add Rammstein are also avoiding the London stadiums which is where traditionally the market for big events are even with how over saturated it is for big gigs/one day festivals.

Edited by jump

Given how slowly the feuerzone tickets are going then this Cardiff gig isn't rushing out teh door like the other 2. I think it might have been too ambitious. Hotel prices are still cheap too. City centre Prem Inns for £35??? I did MK, doing Coventry but Cardiff is taking the piss clashing with DL.

1 hour ago, devilman said:

Given how slowly the feuerzone tickets are going then this Cardiff gig isn't rushing out teh door like the other 2. I think it might have been too ambitious. Hotel prices are still cheap too. City centre Prem Inns for £35??? I did MK, doing Coventry but Cardiff is taking the piss clashing with DL.

I’m keen to go but definitely going to wait until a couple of weeks before the gig and hopefully pick a cheap ticket up. Especially at £100 a pop

IRON MAIDEN, Ghost, Within Temptation, Rival Sons, Sikth, Atreyu, Pulled Apart By Horses
Zippo: Don Broco, Baroness, Thrice, Hatebreed, The Wildhearts, WSTR, Culture Abuse, Higher Power
Avalanche: NOFX, Fidlar, The King Blues, Lawnmower Deth, Crown The Empire, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, Sleep Token
Dogtooth: Corrosion Of Conformity, In Me, Venom Prison, Casey, God Damn, Strange Bones, Holding Absence, Dead Label, Brutai

KISS, Greta Van Fleet, Mastodon, Airbourne, The Temperance Movement, Monster Magnet, Creeper, Cradle of Filth, Turbonegro
Zippo: Megadeth, Killswitch Engage, Lacuna Coil, Skillet, Periphery, Bury Tomorrow, Touché Amoré, Gnarwolves, Starcrawler
Avalanche: Y3K, Anti-Flag, Milk Teeth, Knocked Loose, Dream Wife, Yonaka, White Reaper, Black Waters
Dogtooth: Ho99o9, Skinny Lister, Rolo Tomassi, Black Foxxes, Radkey, Groundculture, Black Moth, Idiom, Emporer Chung

A DAY TO REMEMBER, Deftones, Good Charlotte, Black Peaks, Code Orange, SIXX:A.M., Alien Ant Farm, Lovebites, Palisades
Zippo: Alice Cooper, Twin Atlantic, Electric Wizard, Tessaract, Hot Milk, Graveyard, Tax The Heat, Dead!, Scattering Ashes
Avalanche: Bowling For Soup, Poppy, $uicideboy$, As It Is, Astroid Boys, The Dangerous Summer, Normandie, Vukovi
Dogtooth: Godflesh, Savage Messiah, Heck, Muncie Girls, Grove Street Families, Moses, Heavy Lungs, Weirds, Fallen State

Edited by JSmurphy

7 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

IRON MAIDEN, Ghost, Within Temptation, Rival Sons, Sikth, Atreyu, Pulled Apart By Horses
Zippo: Don Broco, Baroness, Thrice, Hatebreed, The Wildhearts, WSTR, Culture Abuse, Higher Power
Avalanche: NOFX, Fidlar, The King Blues, Lawnmower Deth, Crown The Empire, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, Sleep Token
Dogtooth: Corrosion Of Conformity, In Me, Venom Prison, Casey, God Damn, Strange Bones, Holding Absence, Dead Label, Brutai

KISS, Greta Van Fleet, Mastodon, Airbourne, The Temperance Movement, Monster Magnet, Creeper, Cradle of Filth, Turbonegro
Zippo: Megadeth, Killswitch Engage, Lacuna Coil, Skillet, Periphery, Bury Tomorrow, Touché Amoré, Gnarwolves, Starcrawler
Avalanche: Y3K, Anti-Flag, Milk Teeth, Knocked Loose, Dream Wife, Yonaka, White Reaper, Black Waters
Dogtooth: Ho99o9, Skinny Lister, Rolo Tomassi, Black Foxxes, Radkey, Groundculture, Black Moth, Idiom, Emporer Chung

A DAY TO REMEMBER, Deftones, Good Charlotte, Black Peaks, Code Orange, SIXX:A.M., Alien Ant Farm, Lovebites, Palisades
Zippo: Alice Cooper, Twin Atlantic, Electric Wizard, Tessaract, Hot Milk, Graveyard, Tax The Heat, Dead!, Scattering Ashes
Avalanche: Bowling For Soup, Poppy, $uicideboy$, As It Is, Astroid Boys, The Dangerous Summer, Normandie, Vukovi
Dogtooth: Godflesh, Savage Messiah, Heck, Muncie Girls, Grove Street Families, Moses, Heavy Lungs, Weirds, Fallen State

I’d get a day ticket to see ADTR smash it. I can’t see them putting ADTR on the Sunday, though. 

Megadeth won’t be an option as Mustaine is battling a recent cancer diagnosis. Black Peaks would have to have a hell of a year to move up from low Avalanche to fourth down main. If they play main, they’d be in the bottom 3 for sure. 

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

If by Y3K, you mean Busted, then just write Busted. 

2 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

last year metallica released their summer tour dates very early, i think if they're doing festivals this time they will do the same, which explains why there will be "news" so soon

Yeah as discussed this fits with Hellfest's 'we have a headliner thats never played before' too.

I've just realised that Copenhell is also the same weekend as Hellfest and Graspop, which is the weekend after Download. Given how relatively close all 3 of those festivals are its gonna be tempting for bands to do all 3 I think so could lead to some big names being available for Download! 

Edited by Spiral_Low