Download 2020

gabrielomachado

4 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

in 2014 Black Sabbath's gig in london happened at the same friday of Sonisphere so they put Prodigy to headline. something similar could happen in Download, maybe Kiss or an old classic band on sunday so the audiences won't clash that much

As opposed to the young hip headliners they normally have :P Even Rammstein are in their 50s.

AEG really are not good clashing Rammstein with Download, having done the Black Sabbath BTS clash with Sonisphere before that was mentioned. Plus they did the A Perfect Circle UK tour so probs blocked them from Download too. Urgh, promoters caring more about rivalries than they do about fans.

Anyway I think Download will go BIG against them in retaliation. After l, thry will wanna prove to be that Doenload is where it is at etc. I predict:

Fri: Korn

Sat: Metallica

Sun: Iron Maiden

Expect Deftones, Alice In Chains and Prophets Of Rage to pop up as sub headliners too, or maybe Limp Bizkit.

Edited by Spiral_Low

2 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Half the acts will be booked already, they aren't suddenly going to "go big" because of this. They just need to get on with announcing stuff because they're only going to be losing customers once these are on sale Wednesday.

Errrr that works the other way too then. So why are you certain its KISS?

Edited by Spiral_Low

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It won't have any impact on the bookings, other than Rammstein not being one of them.

I would assume Live Nation would have known about the potential of this some time. Would have taken AEG a fair while to plan gigs even if venues weren't 100% known, so would have though Live Nation would have found out.

Edited by Spiral_Low

Just now, Spiral_Low said:

I would assume Live Nation would have known about the potentual of this some time. Would have taken AEG a fair while to plan gigs even if venues weren't 100% known, so would have though Live Nation would have found out.

Not contesting that, but they'll have gone for the best they can get regardless so I don't see how it affects who the festival has booked. If anyone wants to use Sabbath/Prodigy as precedent then I'll remind them that Sonisphere didn't know about Sabbath being the same day until it was announced because that actually was booked late on.

Now, with regards to attendees it may well draw some away (particularly those who had a horrible weekend this year because of the weather) but the MK and Cov gigs will have satisfied a lot of the demand and allow fans to have seen Rammstein on this tour and also continue to go to Download. And there's no chance of a mass fucking exodus on Sunday from punters, after four days in festival mode, doing a three hour trip for the last announced Rammstein show.

53 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not contesting that, but they'll have gone for the best they can get regardless so I don't see how it affects who the festival has booked. If anyone wants to use Sabbath/Prodigy as precedent then I'll remind them that Sonisphere didn't know about Sabbath being the same day until it was announced because that actually was booked late on.

Now, with regards to attendees it may well draw some away (particularly those who had a horrible weekend this year because of the weather) but the MK and Cov gigs will have satisfied a lot of the demand and allow fans to have seen Rammstein on this tour and also continue to go to Download. And there's no chance of a mass fucking exodus on Sunday from punters, after four days in festival mode, doing a three hour trip for the last announced Rammstein show.

Fair points can't argue with that.

2 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

AEG really are not good clashing Rammstein with Download, having done the Black Sabbath BTS clash with Sonisphere before that was mentioned. Plus they did the A Perfect Circle UK tour so probs blocked them from Download too. Urgh, promoters caring more about rivalries than they do about fans.

Anyway I think Download will go BIG against them in retaliation. After l, thry will wanna prove to be that Doenload is where it is at etc. I predict:

Fri: Korn

Sat: Metallica

Sun: Iron Maiden

Expect Deftones, Alice In Chains and Prophets Of Rage to pop up as sub headliners too, or maybe Limp Bizkit.

So you say you expect then to go BIG then predict as a sub at very at very best as a headliner and put LB in the possible as a sub option. That is not a huge subbing 3 either.

I can see them just going for Maiden, Metallica and KISS tbh. Bar ADTR or possibly Blink....I've never thought that album in full thing was a goer anyway I don't see what else there is now they've done Slipknot again.

Rammstein selling stadiums is rather impressive and selling a stadium show during download is even more impressive.

out of interest - I’m not really a download goer myself but how has this festival sustained while so many other festivals have fallen? Download repeats bands due to their small pool of headliners, and now bands from their pool is booking big shows during download weekend?

How many times are Slipknot, SOAD, Rammstein, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard going to headline before things have to change?

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Rammstein selling stadiums is rather impressive and selling a stadium show during download is even more impressive.

out of interest - I’m not really a download goer myself but how has this festival sustained while so many other festivals have fallen? Download repeats bands due to their small pool of headliners, and now bands from their pool is booking big shows during download weekend?

How many times are Slipknot, SOAD, Rammstein, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard going to headline before things have to change?

As another non-attendee, I think Download is sustainable because it's got that captive customer base that Glastonbury has; tens of thousands of hardcore fans going out of tradition and memories. No fucks given about the headliners at the end of the day - maybe a bit of a grumble but something else will be on. That's pretty much what I gauged from this podcast interview with Copping that I heard a few months ago, anyway.

Also, generally, hard rock and metal crowds move with the times rather glacially and you get people - young and old - who are completely devoted to dinosaur rock bands and will take Maiden every year if offered. Download does well to cater to those types as well as the more progressive thinkers (people here for example) and folk in-between.

Download is the only one of its kind....not necessarily a good thing imo but that's something else.

There is likely enough crossover and even less Reading competition now with their more mainstream approach which also means that the year Reading has your ADTR and Frank's Sum 41s etc Download will have had or be having the following year. I do think they should have made a day like Slipknots more accessible instead of just being straight heavy, there are people who like them that also like music that isn't just straight metal and hard-core.

There is more crossover in the smaller acts now though with Skindred for instance playing both, KSE might have and I could see NFG doing it 

10 hours ago, thewayiam said:

So you say you expect then to go BIG then predict as a sub at very at very best as a headliner and put LB in the possible as a sub option. That is not a huge subbing 3 either.

I can see them just going for Maiden, Metallica and KISS tbh. Bar ADTR or possibly Blink....I've never thought that album in full thing was a goer anyway I don't see what else there is now they've done Slipknot again.

Metallica and Iron Maiden are as big as it gets in terms of metal bands. 

30 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Download is the only one of its kind....not necessarily a good thing imo but that's something else.

There is likely enough crossover and even less Reading competition now with their more mainstream approach which also means that the year Reading has your ADTR and Frank's Sum 41s etc Download will have had or be having the following year. I do think they should have made a day like Slipknots more accessible instead of just being straight heavy, there are people who like them that also like music that isn't just straight metal and hard-core.

There is more crossover in the smaller acts now though with Skindred for instance playing both, KSE might have and I could see NFG doing it 

Slipknot’s day wasn’t straight heavy. You had Die Antwoord, Skindred and Royal Republic playing, all bands who have played R&L in recent years. Yeah you had Power Trip, Behemoth and Trivium too but they all all got massive crowds and went down a storm. Download is a heavy festival at the end of the day and the main stage was busy all day that day. 

I’d argue that within the confines of Download, Slipknot are in that top tier bracket with Metallica and Maiden. They clearly aren’t outside of Download as they couldn’t do stadiums here but if we’re talking strictly in terms of their pull at DL, I think they’re just as big. 

If this Cardiff date sells out, I’d muse that Rammstein are bigger than Maiden currently.

MK - 35k 

Coventry - 40k 

Cardiff - 45/50k? 

When was the last time Maiden played stadiums?

Maiden are definitely Download’s safest bet for a headliner, however. Look how many times they’ve played and look how well they’ve gone down each time. They’ll always show up ever 3-4 years until they retire and the vast majority of DL’s audience won’t care.

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I’d argue that within the confines of Download, Slipknot are in that top tier bracket with Metallica and Maiden. They clearly aren’t outside of Download as they couldn’t do stadiums here but if we’re talking strictly in terms of their pull at DL, I think they’re just as big. 

If this Cardiff date sells out, I’d muse that Rammstein are bigger than Maiden currently.

MK - 35k 

Coventry - 40k 

Cardiff - 45/50k? 

Maiden are definitely Download’s safest bet for a headliner, however. Look how many times they’ve played and look how well they’ve gone down each time. They’ll always show up ever 3-4 years until they retire and the vast majority of DL’s audience won’t care.

Agreed. Though I feel Slipknot will end up doing stadiums one day.

16 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I imagine it will change by default sharpish cos Linkin Park, Sabbath, Aerosmith and Prodigy are all out, who probably all headlined more 10 times between them, then Metallica and Rammstein don’t seem to be doing fests nearly as much as they used to, SOAD will probably stop touring soon, and you’d have to expect your 70s/80s headliners will be out in the next few years too. 

I reckon there’ll be a fuck load of new headliners in the next 5 years or so, and low attendance years like 2017 will become the norm 

Edited by Steve1000

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Slipknot’s day wasn’t straight heavy. You had Die Antwoord, Skindred and Royal Republic playing, all bands who have played R&L in recent years. Yeah you had Power Trip, Behemoth and Trivium too but they all all got massive crowds and went down a storm. Download is a heavy festival at the end of the day and the main stage was busy all day that day. 

I agree, it's primarily a metal fest. Just try telling Copping that when he tries stupidly to tell you it's not. Talking of Die Antwoord, I think it was a shit booking as a sub to them, shit booking as a sub but again that's my view.

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

MK - 35k 

Coventry - 40k 

Cardiff - 45/50k? 

Maiden sold out Twickenham and a couple of years back.

34 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I agree, it's primarily a metal fest. Just try telling Copping that when he tries stupidly to tell you it's not. Talking of Die Antwoord, I think it was a shit booking as a sub to them, shit booking as a sub but again that's my view.

Maiden sold out Twickenham and a couple of years back.

Maiden played Twickenham a decade ago and was their only UK stadium show ever.