Download 2020

gabrielomachado

On 6/20/2019 at 5:17 AM, maelzoid said:

Any predictions on the non-metal acts that are creeping in to the line-up (cf Die Antwoord)

I think Rodrigo y Gabriela would go down very well, actually surprised they haven't played it already.

Along with all the others that have been suggested, I think Ghostemane is possible. He's headlining the Pit at Reading/Leeds and released a pretty heavy ep recently.

I sometimes wonder how bands like New Order or Public Image ltd. would go down. They've had post punk bands before, but bands like Killing Joke have much more crossover with metal. Looking in a completely different direction, could bands like Alabama Shakes, Gary Clarke. Jr, and the like work on a classic rock day?

3 hours ago, sebastian pacheco said:

I would not be surprised if BMTH is headliner in DL 2020. They have not played since 2014 and have already been headliners of a festival in UK this year, they played a two hours show and was mental. If that happens I would be happy because it would be a new band being headliner at Download, which makes it more exciting

They put on a headliner worthy performance for sure at APE. I’d love for them to get the Friday headline slot. If they’ve got Metallica and Rammstein / KISS, they should do it. 

50 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

As if it was ever really in doubt - Rammstein have announced that they're back in Europe in 2020. 

Stadium shows totally cancels out the possibility of Download. They aren’t going to have two different productions; one for the stadium shows and a smaller one for a festival. 

33 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Stadium shows totally cancels out the possibility of Download. They aren’t going to have two different productions; one for the stadium shows and a smaller one for a festival. 

Agreed. Shattered my prediction of a few days ago tho. I'm not sure who the 'big hitter' will be, if they do have one next year - not sure I see Metallica or AC/DC turning up. My Chemical Romance would solve that :ph34r:

Idles headlining Zippo would be great.

47 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Depends on time of year. They could do stadium shows Jan/Feb. Then do summer festivals starting in May. 

7 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Football might get in the way of that?

I could see them doing festivals as well....No English date being the main reason.

True that. Actually looking at the venues no Spain either. And I doubt Lyon would be only French date. So actually maybe Download triple booking them for Donnington, Madrid and Paris.

Edit- though it does seem to be a fair few venues they not doing this tour. Im still wondering if they do 2 tours, this stadium one then a festival run. Hmmmmm.

Edited by Spiral_Low

Tried to make a realistic prediction this time

Possible headliners

-Iron Maiden

-Metallica

-A Day To Remember

-Rammstein

-Alter Bridge

Other big bands (subs, 2nd headliners)

-Korn

-Architects

-Five Finger Death Punch

-Steel Panther

-Bullet For My Valentine

-Ghost

-Mastodon

-Volbeat

-Deftones

-Hollywood Vampires

-Judas Priest

-Gojira

-Sabaton

Don't think BMTH will do download, can see them headlining Reading over it (and I think they would go down a storm)

Download can have MCR (wishful thinking), Metallica and Kiss

Also if Paramore, The Offspring, Sum 41, Idles, Fever 333, Dropkick Murphys and Don Broco can pitch up for MCR day that would be great (if you're reading this Andy Copping)

1 hour ago, a6l6e6x said:

Don't think BMTH will do download, can see them headlining Reading over it (and I think they would go down a storm)

Download can have MCR (wishful thinking), Metallica and Kiss

Also if Paramore, The Offspring, Sum 41, Idles, Fever 333, Dropkick Murphys and Don Broco can pitch up for MCR day that would be great (if you're reading this Andy Copping)

An MCR reunion seems further away and further away at this point. They all seem pretty happy getting on with their own lives. 

Reckon Blink 182/ Metallica / KISS (End of Road) 

Blink 182 because Simple Creatures played this year and Mark mentioned coming back to play Enema in State in full next year half-jokingly.

Metallica as Lars hinted at being back in the UK next year and it's been nearly 8 years since they last played Download, you'd assume they'd do Download before going back to R+L.

KISS because in 2017 and 2018 Andy booked acts because it was the last chance to get them (Aerosmith and Ozzy), so I don't see why he wouldn't do the same for KISS. 

What would an MCR main stage look like? (I'd die happy if they reunited)

Potential subs: Evanescence, Ghost, Fall Out Boy, ADTR, Paramore, 30STM, Nightwish, BFMV, The Offspring

Other bands: The Used, Jimmy Eat World, Badflower, Don Broco, Black Veil Brides, Lacuna Coil, Pierce The Veil, Motionless In White, Rise Against, Shinedown, AFI, Papa Roach, Ice Nine Kills, Sum 41, Circa Survive

Edited by dannymichaels

1 hour ago, madmaninabox said:

KISS because in 2017 and 2018 Andy booked acts because it was the last chance to get them (Aerosmith and Ozzy), so I don't see why he wouldn't do the same for KISS.

Because even if it is the last KISS tour (it won’t be), it’d sell horribly. If they were gonna do it, it would have been this year instead of Def Leppard. I think Download made the right call there.

4 hours ago, Sparticus said:

I could see them doing festivals as well....No English date being the main reason.

Yeah the lack of an English date has made me quite certain that they’ll appear.

Iron Maiden have been rumoured by Zegut for a Paris stadium show next May. Not sure what it would mean for Download because it would mean they’re not at Download France.

Which bands can you recall doing a stadium tour and doing a festival right in the middle of it? I would be very, very surprised if they did it. I think Rammstein are out. 

I think KISS are a banker. Genuine final tour and AC will want them one last time. They will still have all of the camping chair brigade in tow. 

I’m thinking Metallica are Lars said they’d be back soon. I know that is such a sweeping statement but Download makes the most sense. Quite mad to think it will have been 8 years since they last appeared in 2020. 

I’m sticking with Blink or ADTR for the Friday. 

19 hours ago, sebastian pacheco said:

I would not be surprised if BMTH is headliner in DL 2020.

I would. They sold 4k tickets and the rest had to be given away so that the organisers at least got something back from on site sales. They would have headlined in 2016 at the peak of their popularity if they had sold 80% of their arena tour. They didn't. They've sold a lot less since. They're done. Sub at very best.

30 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Which bands can you recall doing a stadium tour and doing a festival right in the middle of it? I would be very, very surprised if they did it. I think Rammstein are out. 

But we don't know the dates of those 2020 dates yet. Could be through May for example....then they swap into festival season.

The fact that people buy tickets before the bands have even been announced is proof that festivals are a camping holiday first and foremost and the music is just a bonus.

The only headliner that would entice me back to Download would be System of a Down, one of my favourite bands Lacuna Coil are releasing an album this autumn so they should make an appearance half way up the bill which is ludicrous, they should be subbing in my opinion but Download wouldn't want to be doing that, they would rather something like Die Antwoord subbing to attract all the dyed blonde haired girls to Download with their little shorts, you can leave me out of it, I am content seeing Lacuna Coil in a 800 capacity venue in Dublin on a cold November night, just how i like it.

Edited by markopaddy92
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I think KISS are a banker. Genuine final tour and AC will want them one last time. They will still have all of the camping chair brigade in tow. 

I’m thinking Metallica are Lars said they’d be back soon. I know that is such a sweeping statement but Download makes the most sense. Quite mad to think it will have been 8 years since they last appeared in 2020. 

I’m sticking with Blink or ADTR for the Friday. 

Muse, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Guns N' Roses have all done festivals and stadiums in the same run before - Tool this year as well. I could maybe agree if Rammstein hadn't just done a festivals-only run around Europe but they're gonna be doing festivals again at some point. I'm sure they still have the festival set in storage as well.

I don't know how you can say KISS are on a genuine final tour when they've done so many final tours. :P They were playing all around Europe this summer and Download didn't book them. Hellfest and Graspop are hardly gonna book them just to be blindsided by them coming back with a 'last shows ever!' gimmick. They quite possibly legally can't put 'last UK show ever' under the KISS name because it's so obviously bullshit.

As for Metallica, they are coming to the end of that Worldwired tour and really seem to feel the strain nowadays. I think they might do some parts of the world in 2020 but Europe is pretty much ticked off now (or it will be in September).

Edited by dentalplan