Download 2020

gabrielomachado

Too soon? obviously, but Reading lineup topics starts even early so i guess I'll do the same for DL

my (very, very) early predictions

Alter Bridge / Parkway Drive / Greta Van Fleet 

2nd: The Offspring or Scorpions (i thought about someone already stabilized to compete with the new bands on top of the bill)
_________
Metallica / Ghost / Alice In Chains

2nd: Sabaton (finishing before Metallica)
_________

Iron Maiden / Architects / Five Finger Death Punch

2nd: Don Broco or Enter Shikari

i guess it's time to Alter Bridge finally headline, what i think they should have done in 2017 if it wasn't for Aerosmith. there's an urgent need of new blood headlining. Metallica can be doing something similar that Guns N'Roses did, playing stadiums and coming back on the following year to do festivals, so i think we can see them finally playing after 4 years on a row of speculations. And Iron Maiden could be there as well just because they never stop touring :P 

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I wouldn’t go that far considering they still haven’t had Bring Me headline, but yeah I’d go for that trio as well. Would be really good.

After amo BMTH defo won't headline ever. Unless they maybe do an anniversary tour for Sempiternal or something in like 2023?

ADTR, Alter Bridge and Rammstein is my ideal trio. 

They'll hold back on Korn till 2020.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:07 AM, Jericode said:

ADTR have to be nailed on with the Reading sub slot. Rammstein and Maiden would make a solid trio.

ADTR have no where near the fanbase and crossover appeal to headline Download. The Reading crowd and the Download one are very different. Yes they sub headlined Download before but to actually hesdline is a big leap....can't see why they would when likes of Korn and Deftones haven't.

Edited by Spiral_Low

ADTR already subbed Download, then did an arena tour, and now they're sub-headlining another festival with broader appeal. They're 100% going to headline Download next album.

How are you going to argue ADTR don't have more crossover appeal than Korn when they're literally sub-headlining it this year when Korn played 3rd two years ago?

39 minutes ago, Jericode said:

ADTR already subbed Download, then did an arena tour, and now they're sub-headlining another festival with broader appeal. They're 100% going to headline Download next album.

How are you going to argue ADTR don't have more crossover appeal than Korn when they're literally sub-headlining it this year when Korn played 3rd two years ago?

Reading and Leeds festival goers are not the same as Download festival goers. I'm reffering to appeal within the rock and metal crowd. Yeah ADTR are big enough to sub but to actually headline no way.  Not at current anyway. 

4 hours ago, R Shah said:

After amo BMTH defo won't headline ever. Unless they maybe do an anniversary tour for Sempiternal or something in like 2023?

I still think they could, they had Linkin Park play on the Thousand Sons tour. Their setlist from 2 days ago is 14 rock / metal songs, 2 pop songs and a synthy interlude. That isn't actually much different to quite a few bands who've done this.

2 hours ago, Jericode said:

Do note though they are subbing a band that are a bigger ticket seller than almost any band Download book plus A7X sold arena ticket much quicker than ADTR did and still got a poor Download reception.

I wouldn't say it won't happen but you need something big as there other two for it.

6 hours ago, Jericode said:

They'll more than likely have a new album out by the end of the year, 2016 was their last one right? If it's successful it'll be hard to argue they shouldn't be.

Well I get your point but I don't see how they should be put above likes of Korn and Deftones who have also subheadlined. Plus bands like Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters haven't done it yet and are obvs higher in the 'desired headliner list'. Plus there is Nine Inch Nails and Placebo who have yet to play Download and sell out arena's whenever they tour the UK. Though csn see either in that Smashing Pumpkins style slot. 

I can't see the risk being taken either when Iron Maden, Metallica, Rammstein all likely to be doing festivals. Fans would see these bands doing likes of Rock AM, Nova Rock, Hellfest etc and not be impressed if Download had ADTR instead.

I've already argued somewhere on the board that they probably should have pushed Korn and Marilyn Manson at the very least to headline status given they've subbed 4 times each. The other side of the coin is that if they haven't so far, why suddenly do it now? I don't book the festival, it's not my place to say why they haven't. Maybe they just aren't available or have other plans.

One other consideration is probably the budget. If you're going to have an Iron Maiden or a Metallica, you probably have to spend less somewhere, and ADTR would be a perfectly fine cheaper headliner without having to sacrifice quality elsewhere on the card. If it goes well, they've created a genuine new headliner, if it goes wrong, they're back to subbing and they can just put them under the Iron Maidens and Metallicas to justify the position drop.

Nine Inch Nails, maybe, but personally I don't see Placebo ever headlining Download. They headlined second stage at Latitude in 2017, are you really going to say that's on Download headline level?

Edited by Jericode

10 hours ago, Jericode said:

I've already argued somewhere on the board that they probably should have pushed Korn and Marilyn Manson at the very least to headline status given they've subbed 4 times each. The other side of the coin is that if they haven't so far, why suddenly do it now? I don't book the festival, it's not my place to say why they haven't. Maybe they just aren't available or have other plans.

One other consideration is probably the budget. If you're going to have an Iron Maiden or a Metallica, you probably have to spend less somewhere, and ADTR would be a perfectly fine cheaper headliner without having to sacrifice quality elsewhere on the card. If it goes well, they've created a genuine new headliner, if it goes wrong, they're back to subbing and they can just put them under the Iron Maidens and Metallicas to justify the position drop.

Nine Inch Nails, maybe, but personally I don't see Placebo ever headlining Download. They headlined second stage at Latitude in 2017, are you really going to say that's on Download headline level?

In regards to Manson I think it's widely accepted that his live performances can be erratic hence he won't ever get that slot at Download UK. 

As for Korn I think that they might be the running now as after their last albums success their name started being mentioned a lot.

My point with Placebo is that they have been doing arena tours and selling lots of albums for much longer that ADTR have. So you can't just go by those things. I don't actually think they will headline but they would be a good sub.

As for cash remember it also has to sell tickets. Average year is 60000 to 90000. Can go up to 110000 I believe. The first year AX7 headlined was a big gamble and I think did about 40000, Downloads worst year on its new/permanent site (2009 onwards). Last year Guns N Roses cost so much and brought in so many it made gamble on AX7 again worth it but only as a second time headliner, can't see risk being taken on ADTR even if its Metallica and Maiden. Though acts like Korn and NIN who have been around decades maybe!

Edited by Spiral_Low

18 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

ADTR have no where near the fanbase and crossover appeal to headline Download. The Reading crowd and the Download one are very different. Yes they sub headlined Download before but to actually hesdline is a big leap....can't see why they would when likes of Korn and Deftones haven't.

Bizarre point to make and you actually defeat your own argument with the points you make. 

ADTR are far more of a Download band than a R+L band at this point given where R+L is now. The idea that rock/metal fans and the average DL attendee doesn't like ADTR is nonsense, they got a huge crowd when sub-headlining and people into heavy rock/metal also like them, look at America for example, ADTR are playing big slots at those festivals and they wouldn't be doing that if people into Disturbed etc hated them. 

ADTR sub headlining R+L actually shows how big a crossover appeal they actually have given they've subbed at Download recently too. They must have shifted a hell of a lot of tickets on that recent run for the bookers at R+L to give them that sub-headline slot under Foos. Smashing Pumpkins and maybe Faith No More aside, there isn't a single band that have sub-headlined Download in the last 5 years who would have another crossover appeal to do the same at R+L. Korn and Deftones for example would only get a 3rd down slot at R+L these days. 

That being said I think there are quite a few other bands in the pecking order for headlining DL before ADTR, but they're undoubtedly up there and capable of headlining. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1