Who was the first act you saw at Glastonbury?

RichardWaller

I am another one for Maximo Park in 2009, Thursday, however strictly speaking I didn’t see them. I was about 50 mtrs outside listening......

sadly the first band I saw was Bjorn Again on Pyramid.....?

however first headliner was Neil Young - one my favourite musicians whom I had never managed to see before. My world was rocked.

i just checked the line ups on Wicki and it prompted the memory of being pissed and happy late Friday night post NY and hearing in the distance the Blockheads (now know they were on the Avalon) with if I recall correctly Phil  Jupitus on vocals/shouting. Very happy days, and wonderful memories. 

13 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Either Beans on Toast or Tankus the Henge. I wish i could remember which way around it was but I was hammered.

Both were fantastic

I've only recently discovered Tankus the Henge and seeing them in Feb... Gutted I hadn't heard of them before and seen them at Glasto. Beans will always be my fave though.

13 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

not 100% sure but it was 2002 and im guessing a pyramid act so think it was probably these as I would have been pyramid orientated a bit more in those days 

I

Accidental President - new bands tent (or whatever it was called then) in 2002

and then very soon after as I meandered on, this lot were my first Pyramid act

11 hours ago, The Nal said:

Wilco 2004.

Tweedy wasn't in a great place then.

photo-of-wilco-wilko-25th-june-2004-glas

Cracking setlist though.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2004/worthy-farm-pilton-england-bd1f116.html

resembles the fellow on the cover of my new book

sadly i was on the train en-route to Castle Cary while this was going on. 2020?? I'm seeing Nels play this Saturday  

8 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

I've only recently discovered Tankus the Henge and seeing them in Feb... Gutted I hadn't heard of them before and seen them at Glasto. Beans will always be my fave though.

I think i seen them 3 times at 1 festival a few years back, they were on the bandstand, greenpeace and on a small stage in Shangri La. 

Beans last year at leftfield was amazing, I usually make an effort to go see his tour when hes around too

First I act heard and ‘felt’ from looking at the lineup from 2004 was DJ Miss Minty on Friday morning.

Our group (my sisters’ hen party and brother in laws’ stag party most of whom had done a few Glasto’s in the 90’s) arrived at quite late Thursday evening almost going dark (we have arrived earlier and earlier every subsequent year) knackered from the walk in carrying all of our stuff, in through  gate d and literally not being able to walk much further, dumped our stuff and camped right on the track side opposite the portaloos (many a rookie mistake made that year) I remember catching the end of the England game and we lost on penalties at a burger stall on a portable tv on our first ‘bimble’ after we had pitched our tents that night.

Was woken up fri am by the almighty bass rattling through my chest coming from the nearby dance tent. Quickly got up and saw my groups faces with huge smiles realising we were embarking on a life changing journey.

i loved the huge dance tent as it was back in the day and haven’t really made friends with silver Hayes yet.

i think I missed kasabian on the other stage (disco cig got in the way) but remember purposefully lying down at the pyramid in the sunshine watching Nelly Furtado Friday afternoon waiting for groove armada 

Edited by moheetoes

I've honestly no idea who nor where. All I know is it was lunchtime-ish Friday 2011, and on a random, small outdoor stage, backed by trees, that I've never knowingly visited again since. We'd walked down from the Park and passed the glade at some point so must have been over on that side of the site. Think they had a string section on stage.

I'm desperate to know, because the first well-known act I saw was Miles Kane, and nobody wants that.

2003 was my 1st Glastonbury and I remember that the Inspiral Carpets were the 1st band I saw on the Pyramid Stage on the Friday morning. 

I don't think that was my 1st band though as seem to recall some bands on the Thursday night on the Jazz World (as it was then) stage including Ozomatli- but can't seem to find any details on whether that is right or not as can't remember bands being on on a Thursday on that stage since! 

7 minutes ago, dondo said:

I don't think that was my 1st band though as seem to recall some bands on the Thursday night on the Jazz World (as it was then) stage including Ozomatli- but can't seem to find any details on whether that is right or not as can't remember bands being on on a Thursday on that stage since! 

It's never been an official thing to my knowledge, but they used to run a dodge - the main outdoor stages are each allocated a window (I think about 2 hours) on the Thursday where the can do their "sound checks" ready for the weekend.

So Jazzworld used to have an unannounced band or two on the Thursday afternoon / early evening most years (maybe every year) up until either 2005 or 2007 under the pretence of sound checking. I'm pretty sure that Lamb were one of the acts in 2005. Apparently it got stopped when someone (presumably the council) noticed and pointed out that it was a licence violation.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, incident said:

It's never been an official thing to my knowledge, but they used to run a dodge - the main outdoor stages are each allocated a window (I think about 2 hours) on the Thursday where the can do their "sound checks" ready for the weekend.

So Jazzworld used to have an unannounced band or two on the Thursday afternoon / early evening most years (maybe every year) up until either 2005 or 2007 under the pretence of sound checking. I'm pretty sure that Lamb were one of the acts in 2005. Apparently it got stopped when someone (presumably the council) noticed and pointed out that it was a licence violation.

Thanks for that- made things make sense now!