Tent and camping mattress advice

Funkyfairy!

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

Rather surprised the Fresh and Black klaxon hasn't gone off for @stuartbert two hats

Definitely sort the bed though. 5 days is bad enough with discomfort but 3 weeks will be a killer. We took duvets and pillows with us last time and it does make a difference to the comfort factor and that snuggly feeling. I know it might seem like a lot to carry but with the amount of time you'll be on site it will be work the extra trip to get you set up for the long haul. You're gonna have a blast. :D 

My work is done - loads of people used them last year and it was pretty conclusive that they're great.  Just a shame the 3-man popup was so short and despite apparent advances, they're still an absolute shitter to put away.

Game changer for olduns who need their sleep though - at least an hour or two extra, depending on when you go to bed and how sensitive you are to light/heat in the morning.

4 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Rather surprised the Fresh and Black klaxon hasn't gone off for @stuartbert two hats

Definitely sort the bed though. 5 days is bad enough with discomfort but 3 weeks will be a killer. We took duvets and pillows with us last time and it does make a difference to the comfort factor and that snuggly feeling. I know it might seem like a lot to carry but with the amount of time you'll be on site it will be work the extra trip to get you set up for the long haul. You're gonna have a blast. :D 

is he a fresh n Black advocate by any chance  ?

I think we can park 'close'ish  when we unpack and pitch but on the way back it'll be multiple loads for a distance for sure . I'm thinking the bed, being cozy warm and comfortable are what I need to concentrate on and get right . Pillows are a good call, and even in a van I use a sleeping bag and blanket so hoping that'll do the job again - its certainly bringing on a new set of things to think about camping for a longish period of time :-)

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My work is done - loads of people used them last year and it was pretty conclusive that they're great.  Just a shame the 3-man popup was so short and despite apparent advances, they're still an absolute shitter to put away.

Game changer for olduns who need their sleep though - at least an hour or two extra, depending on when you go to bed and how sensitive you are to light/heat in the morning.

yay, this thats a must then - a blackout tent is on the list - ok dumb question time .... are they so dark that you can;t see your belongings in the middle of the day? eg : I'll be scrabbling around looking for a fresh t shirt rather than just see it easily :-)

7 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

yay, this thats a must then - a blackout tent is on the list - ok dumb question time .... are they so dark that you can;t see your belongings in the middle of the day? eg : I'll be scrabbling around looking for a fresh t shirt rather than just see it easily ?

That's right - you can need a torch inside during the day if the front is zipped up

Here's my review from 2016:

Skip through the thread and you'll find some other reviews on there too, including some from last year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ticketboy69 said:

Haha, my laziness and constant drive to make everything as easy as possible led me to an inflatable tent!  They go up very quickly and without too much sweat! The quicker I’m sat outside my tent with a drink the better!

Yes totally agree the easier the better. Think I'm going to invest in the inflatable,we do a lot of camping in summer as well as fest(although ti-peeing nxt year) so looking for a good all rounder,the wife is nagging me to stream line my camping shed* and think this the way to go.

*I'll post details and pics as soon as can be arsed but if anyone needs any camping gear give me a shout,rather it gets used then dumped,all free,all in good nick

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Duvet and Pillows definitely the way forward. Been doing it for the last 3 or 4 years and the difference is outstanding. 12 quid for a duvet + 2 pillow set from Argos and they come vacuum packed to cut down on bulk. 

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Duvet and Pillows definitely the way forward. Been doing it for the last 3 or 4 years and the difference is outstanding. 12 quid for a duvet + 2 pillow set from Argos and they come vacuum packed to cut down on bulk. 

It's amazing isn't it. We're thankfully going in the caravan this time so have my eye on a really nice mattress topper just to put the cherry on top. 

A few people have hinted at this but airbeds are not warm. If you need something that packs up small and light the Thermarest Neoair range are superb but a little pricey. Alternatively as others have said a camp bed and a cheaper insulating mattress would be my choice.

I've used a Neoair in a bivvy in January and was comfortable and warm.

1 hour ago, Paul_F said:

A few people have hinted at this but airbeds are not warm. If you need something that packs up small and light the Thermarest Neoair range are superb but a little pricey. Alternatively as others have said a camp bed and a cheaper insulating mattress would be my choice.

And don't like hot ash dropped on them as I found out one very early uncomfortable Thursday morning? 

• Upvote 1

I have a fresh and black thanx to S2H's recommendations last year. As you know, this years festival season was was well hot and sunny, at no point did I feel my tent was too warm. It is an excellent piece of kit! Thoroughly recommend it. As for the torch thing, I had 2 strong lights, one at either end of the bedroom, and I still struggled to see! It is dark in there at all times. Not great if its peeing it down as you need to open the door to see clearly.  I have found it simple to put down, Sometimes its a bit tough trying to get the clips together, but still a hell of a lot easier than putting down a normal tent with poles. Go outdoors have amazing camp beds but they do weigh 5kg each. I have one for 'proper' camping and may take it to Glastonbury next year. I use a self inflating roll matt on top for comfort. You're going to have such an amazing time!! Wish I was joining you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

I have a fresh and black thanx to S2H's recommendations last year. As you know, this years festival season was was well hot and sunny, at no point did I feel my tent was too warm. It is an excellent piece of kit! Thoroughly recommend it. As for the torch thing, I had 2 strong lights, one at either end of the bedroom, and I still struggled to see! It is dark in there at all times. Not great if its peeing it down as you need to open the door to see clearly.  I have found it simple to put down, Sometimes its a bit tough trying to get the clips together, but still a hell of a lot easier than putting down a normal tent with poles. Go outdoors have amazing camp beds but they do weigh 5kg each. I have one for 'proper' camping and may take it to Glastonbury next year. I use a self inflating roll matt on top for comfort. You're going to have such an amazing time!! Wish I was joining you!

What?  The popup one or the inflatable?  The popup one was nightmare to put away, especially after the 3rd or 4th time.

16 hours ago, Paul_F said:

Couldn't agree more about the NeoAir - it's miraculous how tiny it packs down and yet is the most comfortable mat you could imagine.  However, I'd never take mine (or any 'proper' expedition gear) to Glastonbury - it's way too expensive to risk getting robbed or bomb-holed.

Earlier this year, Lidl were selling a thing called the Crivit Lightweight Camping Mat.  It actually packs smaller than a NeoAir and is only marginally less comfortable.  Less than £20 so ideal for a festival - worth keeping an eye out in case they come on sale again.

19 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What?  The popup one or the inflatable?  The popup one was nightmare to put away, especially after the 3rd or 4th time.

The pop up one. Does yours have red and yellow clips to match together? I've used mine at 5 festivals this year and a few other times and had no problems putting it down. Maybe I'm finally better than you at something ;)

• Upvote 1

I think that if you are going to be in it for 3 weeks then you need to stand up in it, it needs to be really waterproof and it needs to have 2 rooms - either bedroom and big porch or two beds and a smaller porch. I now use a camp bed with a sun lounger mattress on top, duvet and pillows. It is much warmer and much more comfy than an airbed. 

I would also think about storage and organisation of the space. Boring I know. For extended camping we are in a bell tent but the same principle applies - we use a hanging compartment thing from Ikea so that toiletries is in one, chargers and torches, batteries etc in another etc etc.

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I think that if you are going to be in it for 3 weeks then you need to stand up in it, it needs to be really waterproof and it needs to have 2 rooms - either bedroom and big porch or two beds and a smaller porch. I now use a camp bed with a sun lounger mattress on top, duvet and pillows. It is much warmer and much more comfy than an airbed. 

I would also think about storage and organisation of the space. Boring I know. For extended camping we are in a bell tent but the same principle applies - we use a hanging compartment thing from Ikea so that toiletries is in one, chargers and torches, batteries etc in another etc etc.

Thanks yes, hangy things, I keep obessesing over those :-)

Sun lounger mattress - genius idea- I have some of those - this is a great great idea. Think I'll get a camping bed, and try it out with sunlounger mattress for a few nights at home and if thats not comfortable try a camping mat on top

Thanks again