Muse

RarerThanDandyB

Seen them on most tours and absolutely done with them now, the Drones tour was terrible and did me in also they’re not the live band they were. Dropping Plug In Baby from the set list was catastrophic. Over-exposure hasn’t helped, think everyone needs a break from them but they never go away. They sold out the last tour which was arenas due to the silly Drones gimmick they were trying to pull off but the 2nd Law stadium tour never sold out and I don’t expect this one to either. 

11 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

Seen them on most tours and absolutely done with them now, the Drones tour was terrible and did me in also they’re not the live band they were. Dropping Plug In Baby from the set list was catastrophic. Over-exposure hasn’t helped, think everyone needs a break from them but they never go away. They sold out the last tour which was arenas due to the silly Drones gimmick they were trying to pull off but the 2nd Law stadium tour never sold out and I don’t expect this one to either. 

They seem like a band who would get everyone back on side with an anniversary tour.

1 hour ago, slash's hat said:

The fan mailing list sale seems to have gone pretty well. I wonder if any of the cheap seats were ever available. Come back off hol 31/5 to gatwick so an overnight would be ideal. 3 of us though and don't really want to fork out £80+ for a ticket. Going to hang on till Thurs I think and see if venue presale offers anything up cheaper.

Cheap seats have been put up for Manchester...

I quite like Muse and haven't bothered seeing them live. Not that I wouldn't, just ain't been something that's came up at a time when I didn't have something I'd rather do with my cash. 

Listened to their last three albums a couple of times then forgot all about them, they seem to get more average with each album that passes. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They seem like a band who would get everyone back on side with an anniversary tour.

Tbh I'm not sure even that would do it. Seen them a handful of times (inc. their pretty good Glasto 2010 headline) but no inclination any more, like most on here have been saying. Even an anniversary of BH&R wouldn't really get the heartrate up, they just seem a bit of a parody of themselves now

Maybe if they did go away for a couple of years and came back with a genre-defying masterpiece (which they're probably capable of) we'd all sit up and take notice again - anything else just elicits a meh I'm afraid

18 minutes ago, billum said:

Tbh I'm not sure even that would do it. Seen them a handful of times (inc. their pretty good Glasto 2010 headline) but no inclination any more, like most on here have been saying. Even an anniversary of BH&R wouldn't really get the heartrate up, they just seem a bit of a parody of themselves now

Maybe if they did go away for a couple of years and came back with a genre-defying masterpiece (which they're probably capable of) we'd all sit up and take notice again - anything else just elicits a meh I'm afraid

I really doubt they're capable of translating the flashes of quality into even a half-good album. Even their old stuff doesn't really stand up imo; it was either a product of its time or I've grown out of it. Steering into the legacy seems the only option, but it seems viable to me given that people were pretty excited by their academy tour pre-Drones and that pre-Reading gig where they dug up loads of old tracks.

It definitely wouldn’t do them any harm to go away for a few years and then come back, say in 2021 with a 15th anniversary tour of BH&R, or in 2023 with a 20th anniversary tour of Absolution. Which is more than can be said for their current plan of repeatedly releasing albums which somehow manage to out-rubbish themselves every three years or so.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I really doubt they're capable of translating the flashes of quality into even a half-good album. Even their old stuff doesn't really stand up imo; it was either a product of its time or I've grown out of it. Steering into the legacy seems the only option, but it seems viable to me given that people were pretty excited by their academy tour pre-Drones and that pre-Reading gig where they dug up loads of old tracks.

The gig they did at Newport Leisure Centre was brilliant, would be well up for something like that again to be honest.

Muse are one of those legacy bands that release successively weaker albums that are so disappointing that they make you start to think that their previous album wasn't actually all that bad.  See also Killers/Arctic Monkeys.

Edited by uscore
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, uscore said:

Muse are one of those legacy bands that release successively weaker albums that are so disappointing that they make you start to think that their previous album wasn't actually all that bad.  See also Killers/Arctic Monkeys.

Both those bands' most recent albums were better than the one before though. Obv that's just my opinion so whatever, but surely you can't put Wonderful Wonderful or Tranquility Base in the same light as Simulation Theory lol, that seems incredibly harsh.

2 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Anyone know what happened to the Bristol date?

Think its going to be announced once they've sold out London and Manchester.

Guess I'm a rare Muse fan round here! Admittedly they weren't there best at Glastonbury 16 (was it 16?) I've seen them quite a few times and Reading 2017 was the best I've seen them play. They'd had a big break so might have just been regenerated.

16 minutes ago, Becks12 said:

Think its going to be announced once they've sold out London and Manchester.

Guess I'm a rare Muse fan round here! Admittedly they weren't there best at Glastonbury 16 (was it 16?) I've seen them quite a few times and Reading 2017 was the best I've seen them play. They'd had a big break so might have just been regenerated.

Saw them on drones tour at O2 and in comparison 2016 performance was disappointing. Didnt know they were doing a Brizzle date. Just down wind from me! Ah well.