Drug use at Glastonbury

gearbm95

50 minutes ago, gearbm95 said:

Being a veteran of American fests and seeing how the drug culture at festivals has evolved over the last 10yrs (for the worse in the US, huge influx of fentanyl and bath salts). What is the scene like at Glasto? Are people openly selling from tent to tent like at Bonnaroo?

I

They sell fentanyl at festivals in the states? Why? Why would you want to take a massively strong opioid and sit there spaced out to fuck? Aah “bath salts” I’m afraid our government banned bath salts some years ago. If you’re going Glasto next year just try and bump into some lads from Liverpool and ask them if they have any “Gary’s” or “Molly” as I can’t for the life of me understand why you call it over there. 

Any way, yes. Lads from Liverpool*, Gary’s, enjoy the festival.

*I’m not being Liverpoolist (I live but a stones throw from there and they, more often than not, do have the best there is to offer, so I’m told) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The only stuff I've ever seen sold from tent to tent at Glastonbury is marijuana, and I've been to the festival a fair number of years. Maybe there are incidences of other drugs being sold from tent to tent, but I haven't witnessed it. I have certainly witnessed all sorts of drugs being sold from tent to tent at other UK festivals though.

Any sale seems to get more discreet every year.  If you're in the CV fields (and therefore not in a tent) you can go some years and not really notice anything for sale.

If you needed particular something to enjoy yourself the odds would be against it.

Before the police were on site (ie. many moons ago) folks set up 4-6 berth frame tents with a cardboard sign outside and a geezer shouting Black 'ash, Sensi, or whatever, plus the other folks who wandered the site as you describe.

Last time I saw gear being openly offered was back in 2009, a bunch of tough looking lads turned up at Stone Circle on the Thurs afternoon. 

They shouted out their wares and were well organised, one lad took the order and the money, another brought the gear. 

They had another few lads standing on the outskirts keeping watch. 

I've been straight over 10 years and it was fascinating to watch. 

Never seen owt like it since, but then I'm not looking for it and people probably wouldn't think to offer an old fart like me anything. 

5 minutes ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

Last time I saw gear being openly offered was back in 2009, a bunch of tough looking lads turned up at Stone Circle on the Thurs afternoon. 

They shouted out their wares and were well organised, one lad took the order and the money, another brought the gear. 

They had another few lads standing on the outskirts keeping watch. 

I've been straight over 10 years and it was fascinating to watch. 

Never seen owt like it since, but then I'm not looking for it and people probably wouldn't think to offer an old fart like me anything. 

Iirc it was 09 I saw some lads dealing near stone circle,then 30secs later a shite load of undercovers grabbed them

43 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Iirc it was 09 I saw some lads dealing near stone circle,then 30secs later a shite load of undercovers grabbed them

Ha! Wonder if it was the same guys. 

A few people have asked at various festivals if I am an undercover... I apparently look like a copper, whatever that means.. 

I confused the hell out a Scottish lass who was off her face by stating that if I was an undercover and  I told her, would that mean I was still undercover? Or, if I told her that I wasn't, but actually I was would she believe me? 

Told her she needed to improve her chat up lines... Her mates thought it was hilarious and I ended up partying a bit with them... 

1 minute ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

Ha! Wonder if it was the same guys. 

A few people have asked at various festivals if I am an undercover... I apparently look like a copper, whatever that means.. 

I confused the hell out a Scottish lass who was off her face by stating that if I was an undercover and  I told her, would that mean I was still undercover? Or, if I told her that I wasn't, but actually I was would she believe me? 

Told her she needed to improve her chat up lines... Her mates thought it was hilarious and I ended up partying a bit with them... 

I was wondering the same,I'm pretty sure they were liverpudlians or manc and those cops didn't mess about, that lad went down hard.

I too have been mistaken for being a cop,was talking to a steward friend of mine before when a group came up and said can you report that so and so had her purse nicked and could I report it in. We had a giggle about the mistake and actually walked them up to near police compound as were newbies,as we went our separate ways one reach into his bag and went to hand me a tinny as thanks and I said "best not while I'm still on duty" 

• Upvote 1

Saw a dealer being busted up by the stone circle a couple of years ago (plain clothes officer had called in support).

I had people ask me if I've got anything 2016 - probably because of the state I was in (Oxycodine does bimble you a bit if taken with cider). And in the Elrow tent I was offered NOS and pills by a scouser (probably PMA/MDMA) just before the Po Po turned up to bust some people (which is the first time I've seen a raid at Glasto and I'm not sure I liked it).

Personally I find strong opioid prescription meds don't mix well with recreational drugs so I tend to avoid them. People I have been with have managed to "pick-up" in the festival but price/quality has been erratic to say the least. If you are going to partake I suggest you acquire some outside the festival from a reputable source so you know what you're taking.

As for drug use - there are plenty of "spangled" people at Glastonbury so drug-taking is obviously going on - but I suspect most have brought it in with them as the "men in coats offering goodies" that frequent other UK festivals in great numbers don't seem to be there, and I for one don't miss them.

Hopefully "The Loop" will be on site performing drug testing in 2019 so there are no fatalities.

• Upvote 1

My 15 year old daughter was offered tablets off a stranger in the glade area back in 2014, glad to say she declined the offer , also watched a couple of lads being frogmarched (not gently) out of the common by plain clothed police (I assumed ) the same weekend, can’t recall if they were scousers or not ?

On 11/10/2018 at 1:24 AM, gearbm95 said:

Being a veteran of American fests and seeing how the drug culture at festivals has evolved over the last 10yrs (for the worse in the US, huge influx of fentanyl and bath salts). What is the scene like at Glasto? Are people openly selling from tent to tent like at Bonnaroo?

I

I've not seen open selling or tent to tent since the late 90's. 2000 was probably the last time I witnessed anyone being an obviously dealer and advertising their goods while stood on a walk way. No doubt still happens but nowhere as a obvious as used to be. If your talking quality then I'd bring with you from a refutable source but sounds like this might not be an option. 

Be sensible, speak to your tent neighbours, head to stone circle and you'll spot the 'right people'. 

Then head to the loop if they're on site to check out. 

On 11/10/2018 at 5:29 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The only stuff I've ever seen sold from tent to tent at Glastonbury is marijuana, and I've been to the festival a fair number of years. Maybe there are incidences of other drugs being sold from tent to tent, but I haven't witnessed it. I have certainly witnessed all sorts of drugs being sold from tent to tent at other UK festivals though.

There used to be some so called dealers who would go tent to tent in the 80's but some of them were just using it as a cover to rob tents !!!! - the most amusing thing I have seen was this guy stumbling about ' who was clearly out of his nut ' and this Welsh Guy walking behind him shouting - ' He bought the pills from me ' - he was selling fast but then he lost his 'stumbling guy' so I imagine sales declined.

• Upvote 2

I've only been going since 2014, I've been offered mushrooms, weed, pills and hash by the tents and whilst watching Chemical Brothers the other year a couple of guys went through the crowd with gigantic bags of pills offering them around for a tenner each.

Also got offered NO5 balloons in shangri-la at some point (3 for a tenner) but i *may* have been too fucked up to remember exactly where.

Everyone is pretty much on something at Glasto past about 10pm - it's great :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 4:45 PM, shuttlep said:

a guy came to our tent last year and had some lovely KET

he had other stuff but we were fine for that

oh and mushrooms, you can always find someone selling mushrooms in the stone circle

Ket and lovely in the same sentence....

Totally the opposite to my experience of it. It takes all sorts doesn't it. ?

I went to Goa in India many many years ago. While there I got talking to a bloke from Bristol who had moved out there to live. He told me that you could buy a gallon of liquid ket locally for the equivalent of about a £1. This was the first time that I had ever heard of ket, and it wasn't until years later that I heard it mentioned again in the UK. Anyway, I've never had the stuff, and long may that last.  

16 hours ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

Ket and lovely in the same sentence....

Totally the opposite to my experience of it. It takes all sorts doesn't it. ?

Regretaminetm - Because who needs to walk like a human anyway?

To be fair, it does make that 5am walk back to camp very entertaining. 

We got offered some great quality Mandy up at Arcadia last year when we weren't even looking for it. Partied with the lads for a while after we bought it, they were absolutely sound, probably one of my best nights at a festival ever! But we do tend to bring our own stuff with us as I can't be arsed to go around looking when I'm trying to enjoy myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen one or two people dealing Ket - that seems to be pretty popular with the young crowd at Glasto, but I've never seen anything being openly offered to people walking by.  I'm pretty sure you could walk up to anyone with "the look" and you'd be able to find whatever you're after, but I think the vast majority of people who use drugs buy it before they arrive and bring it in for themselves.  

The most popular drugs seem to be Cannabis, Ecstacy/MDMA, psychedelics such as LSD or mushrooms and cocaine - although cocaine, in my experience is not the best drug for Glastonbury! You need to carry a lot of it on you for a whole day/night and it's not easy to take discreetly!

Edited by Fork_UK

On 12/16/2018 at 12:29 PM, Mr.Tease said:

I never get why people post these things publicly where the police can read them- I'm sure they appreciate the heads up! 

Discretion people... 

My brother is a copper in Wiltshire he has done Stonehenge and Boomtown.

The Police are after the dealers , if you are discreet you should be ok .

Years ago at G two coppers asked me if I was ok at the back of The Pyramid field  around 7 am when I had eyes like saucers.  They asked me if I was ok and when I said I was off to my tent to sleep they walked with me for a bit until I could point my tent out .

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2018 at 12:29 PM, Mr.Tease said:

I never get why people post these things publicly where the police can read them- I'm sure they appreciate the heads up! 

Discretion people... 

What heads up? The police don't need to read it on here that there are drug dealers and drug users at festivals. I guess the police could monitor this forum and ask Neil to identify the addresses of people who have indicated that they take drugs, but it's incredibly unlikely. Even if they did, they'd have to actually catch people in possession. They can't even control the street dealers that are dealing in front of their own eyes. 

As an aside, hello MI5. 

• Upvote 2