Oxfam  priority status for 2019

glasto-worker

update from website 

To qualify for priority status in 2019 you must have done one of the following:

Volunteered at 3 festivals in 2017
Volunteered at 2 festivals in 2017 and 1 festival in 2018
Volunteered at 2 festivals in 2018 (the normal priority rule)

Oxfam campaigning or shop roles can count towards this, providing at least 1 volunteer experience has been stewarding and you have completed stewards training.

Experienced/long-term returning stewards will qualify for priority status, if one of the following applies:

You have held a supervisor role at festivals for us, for the last 2 consecutive years.
You have volunteered in 4 of the past 5 years and have volunteered 8 festivals within that period.
You have volunteered at 10 or more festivals in the past 10 years

• Upvote 1

Interesting...thanks. 

Although the skills gained from volunteering at several festivals is clearly of importance I've often wondered why there is no concession for Oxfam donors themselves.  I've been a regular contributor for over 15 years now, and the total I've given over that time is well into 4 figures.  i don't feel I have a right to anything after doing so but it puzzles me why such efforts aren't considered?  Perhaps it's simply that that would open the list to too many people? 

13 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Interesting...thanks. 

Although the skills gained from volunteering at several festivals is clearly of importance I've often wondered why there is no concession for Oxfam donors themselves.  I've been a regular contributor for over 15 years now, and the total I've given over that time is well into 4 figures.  i don't feel I have a right to anything after doing so but it puzzles me why such efforts aren't considered?  Perhaps it's simply that that would open the list to too many people? 

It would also allow people to buy their way in- this way avoids financial exclusivity.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Interesting...thanks. 

When I did Oxfam stewarding nearly 20 years ago it did count.

2 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Festaff I am told also work on a priority system but not as complicated as Oxfam. 

Far more restrictive though (and there's reasons to think that Festaff won't be at Glastonbury going forward - they've removed all the information from their site).

33 minutes ago, tigertoo said:

Just out of interest where do the various volunteer teams camp and if they have the use of a campervan would they be able to bring it on site ?

I know you can bring a Campervan with Oxfam, not sure about the others but would assume it'll vary so check. In terms of locations, the major ones that I can think of, assuming no changes from last year:

Shelter / Avalon - Just outside the fence, south west of CV field E21
FMS - the field just to the east of VG2
Oxfam - the field just to the west of Purple 4
Festaff/Wristbanding - the small field between FMS and Oxfam
WBC - Dairy Ground, inside the fence between Gate D and Steanbow Farm
Recycling Crew - Toms Field, inside the fence next to VG1A/Marys Gate

The two obvious ones I'm missing are CTM and DCSS - I've got a suspicion that one of them is in the same field as FMS, and the other just outside Gate A - but not sure which way around they are.

Edited by incident

15 hours ago, tigertoo said:

Just out of interest where do the various volunteer teams camp and if they have the use of a campervan would they be able to bring it on site ?

With regards the WBC Crew site due to its layout ' Campervan places are very limited ' and it would mean a Campervan would have to arrive the weekend before so the places tend to go to the set up crew rather than Volunteers or Managers - For many years most staff will be transported by a free Coach from various locations so even a car parking pass { to general crew parking } is very rare unless they have mobility issues.

On 11/10/2018 at 3:52 PM, tigertoo said:

The recycling crew are not allowed camper vans in Toms Field- but you do have a lovely marquee to hang out in 24/7 if needed! Cheapest bar on site (possibly..)

On 11/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, LeeHC said:

The recycling crew are not allowed camper vans in Toms Field- but you do have a lovely marquee to hang out in 24/7 if needed! Cheapest bar on site (possibly..)

My team leader last time around had her caravan parked in Tom's field but that was probably due to her being a team leader and her husband being 'senior' as such with the recycling crew as some other of the people running it did have them there too whereas a couple I know who weren't team leaders or the like had to park in campervan field.  Not sure if they got a free ticket for that or needed to pay.

And yes great marquee in Tom's field

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dondo said:

My team leader last time around had her caravan parked in Tom's field but that was probably due to her being a team leader and her husband being 'senior' as such with the recycling crew as some other of the people running it did have them there too whereas a couple I know who weren't team leaders or the like had to park in campervan field.  Not sure if they got a free ticket for that or needed to pay.

And yes great marquee in Tom's field

Dumb question for workers, do all workers get the same wristband and can use all the workers bars etc. Eg can an oxfam or other worker use the Toms field staff bar.

49 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Dumb question for workers, do all workers get the same wristband and can use all the workers bars etc. Eg can an oxfam or other worker use the Toms field staff bar.

Most workers with the groups named on this thread or just general "site" crew will get a standard, generic staff EPO wristband and possibly an ID/laminate/wristband for their staff area(s). The main differences between an EPO band and a public wristband are that it allows free movement through the gates (without having to use a ticket, passout, etc), access to some but not all shortcuts and otherwise closed routes, and some but not all crew bars will accept it for entry.

Typically a crew area (and associated bar, if there is one) tends to be restricted to that crew only. The staff bars associated with the Late Night areas (specifically Arcadia, Unfairground, Block 9, and Shangri-La) tend to be open to all workers, and I've heard that the Jazzworld and Acoustic ones have been known to let general staff in - though for some of them you might benefit from collecting a bar-specific wristband before the gates open to the public, it's worth asking at the bar anyway. Bear in mind as well it's not unknown for a bar manager to change the entry rules without warning.

Crew working within a specific part of the festival may well get a different "main" wristband than an EPO (there's a lot of variations) - T+C have their own, as do the SE Corner, the Markets, and there's at least a couple different types of Artist bands and certainly others I've forgotten.

34 minutes ago, incident said:

Most workers with the groups named on this thread or just general "site" crew will get a standard, generic staff EPO wristband and possibly an ID/laminate/wristband for their staff area(s). The main differences between an EPO band and a public wristband are that it allows free movement through the gates (without having to use a ticket, passout, etc), access to some but not all shortcuts and otherwise closed routes, and some but not all crew bars will accept it for entry.

Typically a crew area (and associated bar, if there is one) tends to be restricted to that crew only. The staff bars associated with the Late Night areas (specifically Arcadia, Unfairground, Block 9, and Shangri-La) tend to be open to all workers, and I've heard that the Jazzworld and Acoustic ones have been known to let general staff in - though for some of them you might benefit from collecting a bar-specific wristband before the gates open to the public, it's worth asking at the bar anyway. Bear in mind as well it's not unknown for a bar manager to change the entry rules without warning.

Crew working within a specific part of the festival may well get a different "main" wristband than an EPO (there's a lot of variations) - T+C have their own, as do the SE Corner, the Markets, and there's at least a couple different types of Artist bands and certainly others I've forgotten.

When I last worked on recycling crew last time in 2016 I was on pre-festival shifts and I had a wander round some of the crew bars and got some wristbands for some of them- the one in Block 9 and the one in Unfairground and some friends got me one for the Acoustic.  I am not sure if my normal staff EPO one would have got me in or not but it was no bad thing having a pub crawl around them to get the wristbands.

I used the accoustic stage and Block 9 ones the most