so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I love her last line in that article. Of course the flip side is when they walk on the stage as a kind of nearly a headliner and they walk off not really a headliner. Has Stormzy had enough opportunities to prove himself a safe bet? If not, that almost makes it more exciting - that it could genuinely go wrong, so when it goes right it's transcendent.

Tbh when I saw Mumford I don't think they pulled it off well. t was a bit disappointing for a last act show of the weekend.

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah I don't get vibe, what I do get at Download though if you travel too far back is watch where you stand as a folding armchair is probably in your way among a long stretch of them and atop of the hill is ridiculous!

I thought those chairs were hilarious, especially if you're close enough to listen to the comments when people vacate them. Here you are mate, there's a chair if you want it, I'm ok thanks, you want a chair ? The thing with download is it only caters to a certain sector and doesn't pretend otherwise, so it follows that similar people will be going there. These people tend to be older rockers, not all obviously, I saw a few kids and younger people, but in the main older rockers. This is the reason there's more chairs (again I'm being captain obvious) but also the reason I believe that there was more politeness.

1 minute ago, Phoenix Girl said:

This could have been me. I’d like to see more diversity on the Pyramid stage but it certainly shouldn’t be at the detriment to showcasing talent that deserves to be there. There are plenty of non white or non male acts/artists that are good enough to headline. 

Yes there are. I dunno, maybe it's just me but I don't see colour as a priority. My first thought when I saw the 2017 line up was OMG I finally get to see Radiohead, I might try to get into the Foos I really should like them, and Ed Sheeran, well that's a wander round the farm then. It wasn't all white males, that didn't register until I saw your post.

35 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

Might be this thread or the 2019 headliner one, there's posts there complaining about the all white male headliners and more diversity needed. Why should it matter if it's all white, all black or all neon pink ? It should be about the music.

Because, as you allude to in the rest of your posts, music transcends political and social issues. Emily (literally) owns one of the best cultural platforms in this country for tackling those issues - why shouldn't she use it to make a difference? 

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I love her last line in that article. Of course the flip side is when they walk on the stage as a kind of nearly a headliner and they walk off not really a headliner. Has Stormzy had enough opportunities to prove himself a safe bet? If not, that almost makes it more exciting - that it could genuinely go wrong, so when it goes right it's transcendent.

I’ve said it a bunch before but I think he’s at a point where it could really go either way. There’s something oxymoronic about a ‘grime megastar’; lots of artists have made the leap out of the scene and into the mainstream and I don’t think any of them have proved a lasting success, because their old fans move on and the new ones aren’t loyal I guess. Now that he’s a household name, it could quite easily be that he’s a bit unfashionable going forward.

Obviously no solo British rapper has headlined Glastonbury so that may have an impact, depending on Glasto’s cultural relevance at this point - no idea from inside the echo chamber.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

I thought those chairs were hilarious, especially if you're close enough to listen to the comments when people vacate them. Here you are mate, there's a chair if you want it, I'm ok thanks, you want a chair ? The thing with download is it only caters to a certain sector and doesn't pretend otherwise, so it follows that similar people will be going there. These people tend to be older rockers, not all obviously, I saw a few kids and younger people, but in the main older rockers. This is the reason there's more chairs (again I'm being captain obvious) but also the reason I believe that there was more politeness.

I went to the first Download in 2003, on my 18th birthday - it was ace! Iron Maiden were headlining, but I didn't really care about them and just wanted to see Marilyn Manson who was on before. One of my clearest memories, is a lot of old rockers throwing piss at all the Manson fans.... So, you definitely get splits even within the metal genre! And they're not always so polite....That was my first festival and I'd never see anyone throw wee at anyone before! And actually, I think I've only seen it since at Reading in 2004 when some people were saving there wee up all weekend to throw at 50 Cent.... ?

As a side note, I was so fucking into the music at Download that I didn't do any boozing all day Saturday/Sunday as I was worried about having to leave the mosh-pit. I also washed my hair and went to sleep probably before the end of Iron Maiden as I didn't want to be hungover/tired on Sunday and miss anything. The thought of doing this at a festival now cracks me up :lol: 

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’ve said it a bunch before but I think he’s at a point where it could really go either way. There’s something oxymoronic about a ‘grime megastar’; lots of artists have made the leap out of the scene and into the mainstream and I don’t think any of them have proved a lasting success, because their old fans move on and the new ones aren’t loyal I guess. Now that he’s a household name, it could quite easily be that he’s a bit unfashionable going forward.

Obviously no solo British rapper has headlined Glastonbury so that may have an impact, depending on Glasto’s cultural relevance at this point - no idea from inside the echo chamber.

Normally I'd have said Glasto would have either zero or negative impact on his reputation among his hardcore demographic. It's ostensibly a white, middle class festival that's never traditionally been a place for hip hop (Jay-Z and Kanye notwithstanding), yet Stormzy's album went number one so that's something. Seems to me he's in a weird place right now, producing authentic grime but also bigging up the mums and being a known name. I'd like to think his way forward is trailblazing - a proper breakthrough artist who can remain true to the genre he emerged from but bring people with him.

1 hour ago, TheNoise said:

I was using terms used in this thread, not my terms, I don't label people like that. People are people full stop. I could have worded the 'fake news sentence better. Most of us had relatives who were the "plebs" fighting in that war, either dying or injured. They didn't want to be there, but they were and they fought and I was lucky enough to know one of them and hear first hand what they believed - and it wasn't that they were there because of a family disagreement.

The only thing I called fake was the claim that in ww1 people fought and died for our personal freedoms. Because that claim is fake.

For the rest, I trust people to express their view and listen to other views including the ones they might not like.

Jeez, this thread has gotten bad tempered.

For what it's worth, I'm just back from a shift at the local Oxfam books & music shop where I conducted a completely non-scientific survey which I carried on in the coffee shop opposite..

My question was "Stormzy is rumoured to be headlining Friday night at Glastonbury. Is he big enough to headline?"

The  overwhelming response was Yes but there was a definite age split, the younger you were the more likely you were to answer Yes. 

My opinion (as a 66 yr old) is that if somebody at the end of their career (Macca) is to headline Sunday then it will be great to have somebody at the start of their career on Friday. I don't know if I'll be there, it depends on clashes, but I'm not automatically discounting it but if Young Fathers are on then you can count me in.

As to the other issues, the idea that music causes knife crime is nonsensical. The music might reflect the lives of the people producing it but it doesn't shape the society around them. The media has always loved a "new music is going to destroy society" story; Rock & Roll, The Rolling Stones, Psychedelia, Punk, Grunge, Hip-hop and now Grime/Drill. It creates good headlines for lazy journalists and it keeps their readers scared; which seems to be the primary function of the written press. 

The festival has to move with the times if it is to stay relevant. It could carry on booking the same old acts and appealing to an ever ageing audience, but getting your zimmer frame around in the mud is going to be a nightmare.

And if you're only going for three headline acts then maybe you're at the wrong festival?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 10

3 minutes ago, LiamMcMillen said:

What are the chances that Emily heard the album, or even singles, Stormzy will drop before his headline set? You never know, he could be about to drop something of the magnitude (in the UK at least) of This Is America. With that momentum, he'd be more than ready in my opinion. 

They say that if it gets Emily’s foot tapping, it’s a headliner.

52 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The 1975 have said a million times that they aren't playing. They'll headline R&L and not play Glasto.

The 1975 lyrics are pretty bad but against my better judgement I don't actually mind some of their tunes... 

4 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Fixed that for you....

The only times I've seen them the lead singer was so smashed I'm surprised he could still stand let alone perform.

I feel wrong saying I don't mind some of their tunes, but hopefully it will be the first step in my recovery 

7 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Fixed that for you....

The only times I've seen them the lead singer was so smashed I'm surprised he could still stand let alone perform.

Saw them in Ireland at a festival, think it was Longitude. Walked away cos he came across like such a c**t. Not for me.