so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

17 minutes ago, Woffy said:

@guypjfreak old son, I completely get you might not like ‘contemporary’ or ‘mainstream’ stuff like Stormzy. But if that’s the case why do you & yer crew camp out on that first row of tents at the back of the Pyramid Stage Field?

It's where a friend camped many many years ago we just moved from the dance tent to there and never left... Until next year it looks like.. Lol. 

Night all gotta be at some graves tomorrow. 

Peace 

25 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Breaking that down, it sounds like you're suggesting three things:

1. There's a problem with knife crime at the moment
2. There's been a problem with violence and grime music
3. Therefore, Stormzy shouldn't headline Glastonbury.

I think the first point is definitely valid.

The second point is a little more nuanced than you're suggesting and than the article you linked to implies. I'm no expert in this area, but I think there's some context to violent or threatening lyrics in grime (and in hip hop more widely) that has to be appreciated and rarely is, certainly not by a tabloid newspaper. What sounds aggressive often cannot be taken at face value and has to be understood within the culture and spirit of the music. Which is to say that the overlap to actual violence is complex. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I'm not aware of any evidence of a direct, causal link to music.

As far as the third point goes, you could argue that giving a headline performance to a musical genre with a complex historical overlap with small instances of actual crime, glorifies or promotes violence. While I can see how you might think so, I don't see it as prevalent in grime. Perhaps it used to be when grime was seen as the edgy, underground alternative to garage, but it's far more mainstream now. Other subgenres of hip hop have emerged, such as 'drill', which have a far more troubling relationship with real-life gang violence. In the future, still others will replace that one.

Even if we concede that a face-value impression of violence is given a platform at Glastonbury even if that reasoning is flawed, and that this impression of violence could encourage violent tendencies in others, I still see a problem in your logic, and that is: there are far bigger root causes to gang violence than the music associated with it. The disenfranchisement and under-investment in inner-city youth, resulting in chronically low aspirations and a top-down sense of segregation from wider society, is a worthier subject for your pulpit.

Perhaps the image of a young black male, once affected by the violence you allude to, standing on the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury, at the pinnacle of his career, might just inspire some of the small minority of young people troubled by all this, to see that change is possible. That it is - in fact - possible to believe in yourself and chase your dreams.

I say Stormzy headlining is to be celebrated, and if it is a platform, I hope it's seen by as many of the people you're worried about as possible, highlighting a shining example of what can be achieved.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 14

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't really understand. He'll have a second album by the time he headlines. Why's that any different to if he already had his second album out now? Plenty of acts have headlined with two albums and it's a pretty sure bet that some of them will have been booked before the album was released.

Not just booked, some of them have actually headlined months before their second album was released.. Coldplay and Oasis being two of the more notable examples and I doubt the festival sees either of those as a bad choice.

4 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Well I'm not sure if they are the same but isn't it a fact that gangs are taunting each other using the same type of music as that of Stormzy and other rappers.. 

Calling each other out in their songs.. Now don't tell me that they don't cos it's a fact old son.. 

Even back in the day rap was all about guns, drugs and money.... Was it not.. Old Son 

Drugs at Glastonbury? Surely not.

Arguing against Stormzy because this kind of music encourages knife crime is, in my view, how casual racism works. I'm not saying anybody here is racist but don't be lazy and associate a young black rapper with street violence without at least a little research.

Amongst other things Stormzy sings/raps about his religion and his mum. The song Don't Cry For Me is literally anti-knife crime. "Tryna tell my young Gs to relax and invest in life/They invest in knives/Man I was in history class when my bredrin died/So vexed that I cried". He called May out over Grenfell. He is using his own money to support talented black people through a Cambridge education. Here in south London we could do with a few more role models like this.

I'm tired of the outcry every time Glastonbury books a black man to headline. Stormzy is of the moment. People who don't like him can go to 100 other places. But they might listen for a little to see what the fuss is about. 

Edited by Waapster
Fixed a typo
  • Upvote 16

9 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Plus one other thing with all the knifing happening in London and elsewhere I don't think stormzys style of music should be given such a massive platform but that is just me being old I suppose.

This is fucking insane... What a shame. It has nothing to do with your age but everything to do with your ignorance. Can't believe I've just read your post on here. 

51 minutes ago, Waapster said:

Arguing against Stormzy because this kind of music encourages knife crime is, in my view, how casual racism works. I'm not saying anybody here is racist but don't be lazy and associate a young black rapper with street violence without at least a little research.

Amongst other things Stormzy sings/raps about his religion and his mum. The song Don't Cry For Me is literally anti-knife crime. "Tryna tell my young Gs to relax and invest in life/They invest in knives/Man I was in history class when my bredrin died/So vexed that I cried". He called May out over Grenfell. He is using his own money to support talented black people through a Cambridge education. Here in south London we could do with a few more role models like this.

I'm tired of the outcry every time Glastonbury books a black man to headline. Stormzy is of the moment. People who don't like him can go to 100 other places. But they might listen for a little to see what the fuss is about. 

He seems like a good role model and a very positive force.

The issue I have here is the linking of the “outcry” with the colour of his skin. In my opinion it’s not about that, it’s about the style of music. It was the same with Jay Z and Kanye. There would be many black musicians who could headline Glastonbury who would be celebrated as much as any white artist.

3 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

Like the booking and it's good to see the festival taking some risks. Too early to say if I'll be in the field but if that's how events transpire, I'm down with that.

I agree with this. And I’ll be there to have a listen, mainly because my 12 year old daughter is excited about seeing him. Not sure how long we’ll be there though!

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, jyoung said:

This is fucking insane... What a shame. It has nothing to do with your age but everything to do with your ignorance. Can't believe I've just read your post on here. 

Ones of the worst things I’ve ever read on here.  The sheer ignorance absolutely astounds me 

Well that got people talking.. 

If you don't like my views that's OK sometimes I don't like yours it's called life and today we should remember that 100 years ago the first lot of young people had just gone through years of hell so we could discuss stuff like this.. Only to go through it again a few years later.. So let's agree to disagree.. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, thewayiam said:

you are correct and a fair amount of social media agree with you, some suggestion of headlining was for Other stage. I don't think the Eavis' aren't happy about it but I do feel maybe a lack in options for this year over 2020 by the sounds of it have maybe meant the best of the rest. On the stance of Pearl Jam though, they just won't ever get booked for Glastonbury, the appeal isn't wide enough to non fans. I admit I don't know anymore songs by title of either of them to be honest.

All this talk of 2020 taking 2019 headliners away is bollocks. There's still only 3 Pyramid headline slots in 2020, and I can assure you that no act is going to take a 2020 Pyramid sub/Other headline slot over a 2019 Pyramid headline slot.

Granted in 2020 you might have a few acts synonymous with the festival (Elbow, Coldplay etc) appear in TBA or 'Special Guest' slots or a band like Led Zepellin reform just to headline. But those kind of acts were never in the running for headlining in 2019.

9 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

100 years ago the first lot of young people had just gone through years of hell so we could discuss stuff like this.

sorry, but that's fake news. 

WW1 was a family dispute, that the family made the plebs fight for them.

There was no threat to personal freedoms in the context of the time, and it's propaganda to pretend that there was.

Edited by eFestivals

Regarding Stormzy... People in bands often take drugs/fight/get drunk/cause concert riots etc and pass this behaviour onto their audience. So really I feel it would be much safer if there was no music at Glastonbury Festival at all. (You know, just to be safe...)

Edited by sime

7 minutes ago, sime said:

Regarding Stormzy... People in bands often take drugs/fight/get drunk/cause concert riots etc and pass this behaviour onto their audience. So really I feel it would be much safer if there was no music at Glastonbury Festival at all. (You know, just to be safe...)

It would be a lot quieter and greener too. 

22 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Well that got people talking.. 

If you don't like my views that's OK sometimes I don't like yours it's called life and today we should remember that 100 years ago the first lot of young people had just gone through years of hell so we could discuss stuff like this.. Only to go through it again a few years later.. So let's agree to disagree.. 

Hey there Guy!

I'm happy to agree to disagree about the music. This place is more interesting for people holding different opinions.

Can we also agree that there's no basis for a suggestion that Stormzy shouldn't be booked in case he encourages knife crime? Fact is he is likely to do exactly the opposite.

Waap