so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

1 minute ago, wilem said:

Not much younger than Adele.

Yes - he could easily headline into the next decade IMO. His stock will maintain (for now)

Think sub would be better at this stage, cause like Mumford off the second album, hitting the glass ceiling too fast with Glastonbury.

48 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If not now, it'll never happen 

Bollocks, but go on

3 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I wouldn't either if Neil didn't seem to put so much faith in it.

Yeah I feel like an arse when Iog onto eFestivals dot co dot uk and disregard something that the chief puts faith in but the blurb seems like rumours cobbled together from the NME. Probs just me being stubborn.

If it is true, it's a pretty insane opportunity being given to a fella whose second album would be only a few months old and has never played more than an hour in his life. It'd be some Arctic Monkeys 2007-level faith in a scene that isn't as staid as the indie rock world. I'd be happy for him cos he seems like a good egg and it's great for the festival to be looking away from the tried-and-true, but it seems unrealistic all the same.

• Upvote 1

Not my ideal choice for 3rd headliner but good to see them taking a risk of true. Could be a special moment on the Pyramid.

Gambino would be insane. Really holding out hope for that.

Stick Bon Iver against Stormzy and Chems against The Cure and you're on.

2 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Yes - he could easily headline into the next decade IMO. His stock will maintain (for now)

Waiting for up and coming, young, progressive artists to hit commercial peak and career maturity doesn't seem very Glasto to me? Let R&L have him in 10 years time for that

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

The vagary for Liam & Childish reads to me like Childish hasn't agreed yet.

When I first read it I assumed they new the slot Stormzy was in, presumably because they'd been told outright he was headlining, whereas they didn't have the same info/confidence in Liam and Childish. Could it be that? 

Anyway, am totally cool with this. Definitely not a fan of his music but its absolutely a great time for him to do it and exactly the sort of booking the festival should be making. Its actually a pretty interesting trio as well. 

2 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Eh?

?

The Cure are amazing live and Stormzy looks great live, too. Macca's a legend but by all accounts his voice isn't amazing now and I can't imagine it'll be a very exciting show. I'll most likely see him if he plays but I can certainly see him putting on the worst performance of the three.

Ballsy booking by the Eavii. I know there's a second album in the works but as it stands, it's a booking with 1 album. He's not my cup of tea but it's exactly the sort of booking that the Eavii should be doing, giving young British talent a huge platform. That said, I'm still surprised he's been booked at this stage, given there isn't actually a second album out. I wonder if it's more he's top of the list and it's penciled in rather than a confirmed booking. Either way, the second album needs to be on the money; if it's a stinker....

I can't imagine him doing a standard 2-2:15hr headline slot and I wonder how different his set will be from 2017? The 2017 set plus 6/7 songs from the new album? Perhaps it'll be a 90 minute headline slot with a strong sub?

Disappointed the Gaga dream seems to be fading; I'm still clinging to something happening around the time her residency starts and rumoured new album drops but even then, there's not really a slot of her now. I'll dream for 2020 when she finishes her Vegas residency.

Tbh, I rarely do Pyramid headliners as I don't like the massive crowds unless it's something special, so I'm happy for a Macca singalong on Sunday and I'd been planning to go to the SE corner during the headline slots to explore it a bit more before it gets uncomfortably busy.

Headliner thread all wrapped up before the tinsel and Christmas tree's come out. Is this a record??

8 minutes ago, wilem said:

Waiting for up and coming, young, progressive artists to hit commercial peak and career maturity doesn't seem very Glasto to me? Let R&L have him in 10 years time for that

R&L has more of a penchant for booking up and coming headliners than Glastonbury has in the last few years

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If it is true, it's a pretty insane opportunity being given to a fella whose second album would be only a few months old and has never played more than an hour in his life. It'd be some Arctic Monkeys 2007-level faith in a scene that isn't as staid as the indie rock world. I'd be happy for him cos he seems like a good egg and it's great for the festival to be looking away from the tried-and-true, but it seems unrealistic all the same.

Agreed he deserves a slot, just was holding out hope that final slot would be someone I'm interested in seeing. Oh well

Gimme Gambino one night on the other, Jon Hopkins on WH and Chvrches/Friendly Fires/Robyn on JP and I'll still be happy enough

8 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Ballsy booking by the Eavii. I know there's a second album in the works but as it stands, it's a booking with 1 album. He's not my cup of tea but it's exactly the sort of booking that the Eavii should be doing, giving young British talent a huge platform. That said, I'm still surprised he's been booked at this stage, given there isn't actually a second album out. I wonder if it's more he's top of the list and it's penciled in rather than a confirmed booking. Either way, the second album needs to be on the money; if it's a stinker....

I can't imagine him doing a standard 2-2:15hr headline slot and I wonder how different his set will be from 2017? The 2017 set plus 6/7 songs from the new album? Perhaps it'll be a 90 minute headline slot with a strong sub?

Disappointed the Gaga dream seems to be fading; I'm still clinging to something happening around the time her residency starts and rumoured new album drops but even then, there's not really a slot of her now. I'll dream for 2020 when she finishes her Vegas residency.

Tbh, I rarely do Pyramid headliners as I don't like the massive crowds unless it's something special, so I'm happy for a Macca singalong on Sunday and I'd been planning to go to the SE corner during the headline slots to explore it a bit more before it gets uncomfortably busy.

Headliner thread all wrapped up before the tinsel and Christmas tree's come out. Is this a record??

Where are you getting 2hr-2hr 15 standard from?, he'll play 1hr 30. 2hrs plus is the set length the huge headliners get, he would get 1hr 45 at the absolute max but I expect 1hr 30...Ed only got that, Muse and Adele were booked for that although Muse ran over by 15 and Coldplay only got 1 hr 45 last time although I wasn't there to see if it went to 2hrs. I would imagine if Liam is put before him..it's not what I'd see coming but if then he would get the slightly long 1hr 15 like Pharrell did a few years back.