so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

4 hours ago, SW21PB said:

I'd just like to say, having seen Stormzy live on BBC2 right now, living in Brixton, having liked some grime at the time when it still was called 8bar (though I obviously stopped listening to it a long time ago, it was fun, retarded, novelty, pirate radio stuff, don't think there's one grime album that isn't pathetic), that everybody who listens to Stormzy must be mentally retarded and have 2 left ears. Is there anything more daft then a bunch of middle class Brits in front of a stage listening to some sweaty, "urban" oaf chat about his difficulties in handling life in one of the richest countries on the planet? Seriously, so, so shit. I don't even blame Stormzy for making money with this garbage but the weirdos who actually seem to enjoy it.You probably could sell them shit smoothies as well if you hype it correctly

“Look at me, look at me I’m ever so controversial”

Looks like we have ourselves an Internet attention seeker. 

First post ??

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The divide between hate and enjoy of this set is rather striking.

old men seemed to hate it. The youth thought it was inspiring.

i think the main difference is the youth love the cultural impact of music rather than the technical aspect. My dad hated it because he was comparing it to pink floyd. I thought it was a great performance because he was representing London cultures and communities through art. 

Its hard to explain but I think a lot of people that thought the set was trash are missing a vital part of why that set was important.

I think the striking difference in opinions is excellent. People are either saying how incredible it was or how much they hated it. It has inspired a strong reaction from everybody. That’s punk af. 

I watched the set from home and thought it was incredible. He turned up and he absolutely slayed it. He’s a house hold name and I’d like to think that he is Mia a bonafide headliner wherever he goes in this country until he retires. 

What a weird end to the night I had. 

We eventually decided to go for Fatboy as we have never seen him on all the years we’ve been there & we thought we could see Stomzy on catch up when we get home.....

......but The Glade got rammed & we lost each other. Texted other half & suggested we meet at The Pussy Parlure for Liaine De Havas but halfway there texted ‘Fuck it - I’m heading for Stomzy’

Never heard back from him!

I think I landed about half way through. I have certainly seen the field fuller but I felt everyone there was into it.

Loved it ! 

So glad the night went so wrong because it ended very right!

27 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

And to those flooding onto the forum to criticise: that’s vindication. Sometimes culture needs a shake up. Stormzy in that slot last night was The Prodigy in 1997. Instantly iconic and changing of the guard.

Big up Big Mike

I thought the set was fantastic but any criticism of the vindication (in my view) is that it was a bit premature. If he had his second album already out I reckon this set would have hit even harder.

but it was great

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

As a live performance he looked good.

As a rapper and Hip Hop artist though, his music is still dull and will be put to shame by Wu Tang tonight. Pleased for his overwhelmingly middle class white teenage fanbase though.

Denzel Curry has already smashed the best rap set of the weekend, and honestly Ocean Wisdom is more likely to challenge for that than Wu-Tang, I love the Wu but Curry was something else.