so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

Personally i think this set has been amazing, ive been in awe all the way through.. i’m young enough to of grown up whilst the zeitgeist in england has been grime, to see Stormzy headlining Glastonbury is mind blowing considering he was just a tiny name when i first discovered him, i can’t imagine what he’s feeling on that stage right now and he’s killed it, can tell he’s put so much effort and energy into this performance and his career is just going to keep going from strength to strength, within the last few months he’s achieved a number one and headlined the pyramid and he’s going to continue to smash it

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SW21PB said:

I'd just like to say, having seen Stormzy live on BBC2 right now, living in Brixton, having liked some grime at the time when it still was called 8bar (though I obviously stopped listening to it a long time ago, it was fun, retarded, novelty, pirate radio stuff, don't think there's one grime album that isn't pathetic), that everybody who listens to Stormzy must be mentally retarded and have 2 left ears. Is there anything more daft then a bunch of middle class Brits in front of a stage listening to some sweaty, "urban" oaf chat about his difficulties in handling life in one of the richest countries on the planet? Seriously, so, so shit. I don't even blame Stormzy for making money with this garbage but the weirdos who actually seem to enjoy it.You probably could sell them shit smoothies as well if you hype it correctly

So those who listened to it are “mentally retarded”?  Nice one, well done. I happen to work with people with learning disabilities.  I happen to like smoothies - not partial to those with shit in them however.

I don’t like trolls either.  

• Upvote 1

Watched it all on TV and I personally thought it was brilliant. I've always found his music hit or miss but it all sounded so good. When he first came on alone I thought it was gonna be another Kanye and get very old very quickly. But every song had something new and elaborate. He didn't really need the famous cameos but whatever, nothing wrong with a gimmick now and then. Unlike Kanye as well you could tell he was having a real moment and it was special to him.

1 hour ago, SW21PB said:

I'd just like to say, having seen Stormzy live on BBC2 right now, living in Brixton, having liked some grime at the time when it still was called 8bar (though I obviously stopped listening to it a long time ago, it was fun, retarded, novelty, pirate radio stuff, don't think there's one grime album that isn't pathetic), that everybody who listens to Stormzy must be mentally retarded and have 2 left ears. Is there anything more daft then a bunch of middle class Brits in front of a stage listening to some sweaty, "urban" oaf chat about his difficulties in handling life in one of the richest countries on the planet? Seriously, so, so shit. I don't even blame Stormzy for making money with this garbage but the weirdos who actually seem to enjoy it.You probably could sell them shit smoothies as well if you hype it correctly

Very much not my sort of music but what has socioeconomic status or nationality got to do with what music you are allowed to like. Are only black people allowed to like hip hop, are only middle class white people allowed to like classical music?

The divide between hate and enjoy of this set is rather striking.

old men seemed to hate it. The youth thought it was inspiring.

i think the main difference is the youth love the cultural impact of music rather than the technical aspect. My dad hated it because he was comparing it to pink floyd. I thought it was a great performance because he was representing London cultures and communities through art. 

Its hard to explain but I think a lot of people that thought the set was trash are missing a vital part of why that set was important.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I thought he did a fab job (watching from home) but sorry, why on earth did he bring Chris Martin on??? Total blip that was

I thought that covering Ed was pretty bum also, but I can see why he did it and the crowd seemed to go mental for it. 

I did think it was amazing apart from that though. 

Edited by Steve1000

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

I thought that covering Ed was pretty bum also, but I can see why he did it and the crowd seemed to go mental for it. 

I did think it was amazing apart from that though. 

Yeah I'm trying to forget that bit too 

14 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Old blokes moaning about current music? What a surprise.

The reaction on Twitter seems universally positive, except the gammon annoyed by the Boris line which is great entertainment if you can find it.

Goes a bit deeper though I think that a lot of the oldish crowd write stormzy off immediately for the musical content and can’t quite fathom that many fans of his music listen for community and representation.

Some can’t see beyond guitars

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Didn't see the set myself so can't comment but there were a lot of people walking away about half way through his set and the path up the side of the Pyramid field was pretty much clear.

You will always get that with these kinds of Pyramid acts - FOMO kicks in half-way through the set and people dash off to another stage. I don't think it bares any relevance to how good the act was  - I've done it myself. 

Just now, bluedaisy said:

You will always get that with these kinds of Pyramid acts - FOMO kicks in half-way through the set and people dash off to another stage. I don't think it bares any relevance to how good the act was  - I've done it myself. 

To be honest, so have I :)

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

You’re not entitled to your opinion. Television tries to capture what it’s like. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Mostly it doesn’t. No artist at Glastonbury is performing for the  armchair critics, and to have you sitting there spouting bollocks about what it was like and how it felt speaks volumes about the kind of things you think. Jog on, mate. 

The only trouble with what you’ve said there is that I too watched it on TV.  I absolutely loved the set (the Chris Martin bit aside).  What SW (whatever his name is) said was just just someone being offensive and looking for attention.  

I hope you’re having a wonderful time on the farm.