so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

I really want Stormzy to do well personally but I think this headline set is basically “Grime” headlining with a lot of Stormzy songs. He’ll probably have a lot of guests. I think he’ll put on an amazing show and I’m really looking forward to what he brings to the table in a headline slot. 

8 minutes ago, Cooter said:

I thought that about Ed Sheeran but I was wrong

But at least he had three albums and the fact he was the biggest artist in the world going for him. Think it's going to be a tough sell for Mike if it's just him up there alone with a two year old album that many have already seen.

I was looking forward to be a bit of a Sheeran showcase with various guests coming on to play and sing long with him but in reality it was all a bit self indulgent and ultimately became very boring as any one man band would do after a long drawn out 2 hour long set.

As others have said, its very similar to Tame Impala and I haven't seen them before live yet but I will probably see them on tour for the album when it drops. So do I bother with them? 

Its a shame as it would of been a big get for Glastonbury if they Tame and Stromzy both released their albums in the last 3-4 weeks and were both still in the charts.

Finding it hard to believe that Stormzy’s people are missing the opportunity to capitalise on a Glastonbury headline slot. There should be at least one more single by this point and if there’s no album release prior to his set, there’s either something up with the album or he needs to sack his management. 

I'd say the album will be released Friday 21st. It'll be at no.1 first week no problem, and then with a Glastonbury appearance the following Friday it should hold at no.1 with additional sales all that week after the G/BBC exposure. The charts will be announced that day, so he'll also be able to say onstage that he has the no.1 album too.

either way I'd imagine he'll be playing at least 3 or 4 new ones that we haven't heard yet.

as for Tame Impala, saw them at Primavera and it's not much different to the Currents tour, but the darkness/lasers/visuals, plus a few new songs being played make it different enough from 1hr on the Pyramid in 2016 to make it worthwhile.

15 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I'd say the album will be released Friday 21st. It'll be at no.1 first week no problem, and then with a Glastonbury appearance the following Friday it should hold at no.1 with additional sales all that week after the G/BBC exposure. The charts will be announced that day, so he'll also be able to say onstage that he has the no.1 album too.

I reckon this.  Plus he'll bring out Kano, Skepta, Little Simz, D Double E, Ocean Wisdom etc., maybe even Drake or some old school UKHH types.  Other options include orchestra, choir, loads of dancers etc.  It'll be a big show, even if there's no new material

Live, he's generates an enormous amount of energy and hype, it'll be interesting to see if he can do it at the kind of scale needed for the Pyramid.

New album or not this'll be one of the best sets of Glasto this year.

Lets be real he's not going to take Glasto lightly, as he said on the 1xtra interview he did a couple of weeks back, he knows the importance of it.

I'm expecting some serious production along with a choir & string quartet for blinded by your grace + more songs. Would maybe expect Ed to turn up alongside some other artists that he's done a collab with from the grime scene.

The clash with Tame Impala is a big clash but its gotta be Stormzy for me as that Tame set is going to be just another set for them, but this to Stormzy is the biggest set he's ever done and he damn well knows it aswell

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

I reckon this.  Plus he'll bring out Kano, Skepta, Little Simz, D Double E, Ocean Wisdom etc., maybe even Drake or some old school UKHH types.  Other options include orchestra, choir, loads of dancers etc.  It'll be a big show, even if there's no new material

Live, he's generates an enormous amount of energy and hype, it'll be interesting to see if he can do it at the kind of scale needed for the Pyramid.

Very much doubt we would see the likes of Drake and Skepta. First for the reason that it risks overshadowing Stormzy, and then they don't even have any tracks together either.

After being on these boards for a good few years now I’ve learnt that the hope of multiple special guests for a headline slot usually ends in disappointment. An act stepping up to headline wants to succeed off their own merit - not because the crowd went more mental for a special guest coming on stage than any of their own material. 

Ive no doubt he’ll do something to differentiate this show from those that have come before - choir for Blinded by Your Grace would be a nice touch - but a wave of special guests isn’t gonna establish him as a headliner in his own right.

• Upvote 1

So many things I'm reading in this thread are giving me deja vu.....

"It's glastonbury, he'll be taking it really seruiously and won't want to fuck it up."

"It won't be just him, he'll bring out loads of special guests to put on a show."

I was there for the train wreck that was Kanye '15. #neverforget #thoughtsandprayers

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

yep, watched it again not too long ago and if anything, bringing out Bon Whinger for 20mins to kill the mood was the biggest mistake. Other than that it was wall-to-wall bangerz.

Tell that to the 100 people stood neares to me, which was about 20 people by the end of the set, or anybody I spoke to who watched it at home. Not sure many people would agree. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Now Jay-Z on the other hand. Top 5 headline sets I've seen.

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Tell that to the 100 people stood neares to me, which was about 20 people by the end of the set, or anybody I spoke to who watched it at home. Not sure many people would agree. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Now Jay-Z on the other hand. Top 5 headline sets I've seen.

Home viewing doesn't count, sets look and sound entirely different on TV.

they're probably like the many people on here who seemed to go to "check it out" even though they don't seem to actually like his music (bar a few early singles) and think he's a bellend (which he is). several of my group left halfway through too, no idea why they bothered coming in the first place TBH, given the amount of other stuff on at the same time....

I mean, it certainly wasn't perfect (the ballsup with the crane before Touch The Sky and the cringe-y Bohemian Rhapsody were shite), but most of it was him performing the songs well and he played basically all the hits.

Edited by ghostdancer1