so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

10 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

I think you’ve lost your track of what you’re trying to say and letting your own personal bias get in the way.

I have no bias against Stormzy. I agee with his politics and his set in 2017 before Alt J was enjoyable. I think that him agreeing to headline the biggest fest in the world on the condition that he gets an album out in time seems like him putting himself under immense pressure and I just hope it works out is all. When you consider the fact that he just pulled out of headlining another festival and we have zero info on this album, it doesn't exactly seem like smooth sailing to me but I could be wrong.

But the reality of it is I'm just salty because foals weren't booked to headline and they just released the best album of their career :(

Edited by Madyaker

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

It seems like you are trying to belittle the situation. Do you think it is an over reaction from Stormzy? He's made a clear statement saying that members of his team were racially profiled by physically aggressive security. I'd suggest you at least try to understand his position.

I don't mean to belittle the situation. He seems like reasonable, decent guy so the way the festival security treated his team was obviously way too heavy handed and he felt this was an appropriate response. Security can't ignore reports of a weapon on site but they could have been more polite and subtle about it.

9 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I have no bias against Stormzy. I agee with his politics and his set in 2017 before Alt J was enjoyable. I think that him agreeing to headline the biggest fest in the world on the condition that he gets an album out in time seems like him putting himself under immense pressure and I just hope it works out is all. When you consider the fact that he just pulled out of headlining another festival and we have zero info on this album, it doesn't exactly seem like smooth sailing to me but I could be wrong.

But the reality of it is I'm just salty because foals weren't booked to headline and they just released the best album of their career :(

Well Glastonbury is only just over 2 months away and no sign of an album. I hope he pulls out if he doesn’t have anything coming. 

Two months without a second album is diabolical and needs to be imminent else I reckon someone else will be booked. 

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

Well Glastonbury is only just over 2 months away and no sign of an album. I hope he pulls out if he doesn’t have anything coming. 

Two months without a second album is diabolical and needs to be imminent else I reckon someone else will be booked. 

He’s not gonna pull out or be rebooked loool.

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I guess he could pull out if he genuinely didn’t feel ready to release new material yet. Unlikely though.

He’s not gonna get rebooked though just cause of it. 

Has anyone else headlined with just one album?

5 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Surely can’t do it on one album. I thought it was a great booking but one album would be terrible. 

They booked him with only one album, so obviously they see it different. I think he'll have an album out before the fest anyway. There's still 11 weeks till his headline slot.

10 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I guess he could pull out if he genuinely didn’t feel ready to release new material yet. Unlikely though.

eavis wanted the killers to headline in 2005 (or could have been 2004) as a replacement to someone who dropped out (think it was Kylie) but they didn’t feel they were ready (they only had the one album out)- I seem to remember a robust discussion on these boards at the time as to whether you can headline the pyramid  with just a 40 odd minute album under your belt! Think they ended up sticking with their sub headliner spot.

even if the second album isn’t finished or released, he can still play tracks off it to plumpen his set

16 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Orbital NME 1994?

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Oasis

beady5.jpg

I have been staring, mesmerised, at this pic for a few minutes.  No idea who it was; I thought it was some wellend piss take.  I suppose in a way, it is.  Finding out who it is has made my night.

It brings to mind that photo of Razorlight from a few years back.  Almost too funny to be real, then you find out it is real and it becomes even funnier.

Razorlight

Anyway, back to Stormzy..

Without being mean I do feel that there is absolutely 0 hype for this set. I don’t think I’ve seen as little excitement or anticipation or speculation surrounding a headliner in any festival I’ve ever been to. 

I know the festival doesn’t tend to get things wrong but I think this was a bad call. They should have at least waited until the second album dropped. 

I’m glad to be proved wrong but if he thinks he can still be riding the hype of gang signs in 2019 then he’s got a problem. They should have been brave and given the slot to Tame Impala! In another universe they would be the Friday headliner and Stormzy would be a pyramid sub in 2020. 

EDIT: to further what I mean by riding the hype of the first album. Popular music is not loyal at all unless you give them something to hype over. There have been countless examples of artists having a pretty big first album and falling on the 2nd. Emiliee Sandee had a huge first album and now she’s not far off a butlins booking.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I have been staring, mesmerised, at this pic for a few minutes.  No idea who it was; I thought it was some wellend piss take.  I suppose in a way, it is.  Finding out who it is has made my night.

Joke's on us really - in the year of our lord 2019 one of those Wellends is sub-headlining the Pymild.

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think I’ve seen as little excitement or anticipation or speculation surrounding a headliner in any festival I’ve ever been to

Really? No speculation? You're literally on an internet forum speculating about his headline appearance

• Upvote 2

There's a rather comical irony in seeing people on a forum who labour the "its not just about the music or headliners, maaaan" point more than most bemoaning a headliner like this. 

Just accept that Glastonbury like to rip up the rule book and are putting their weight behind a man who deserves not to be written off before he has even stepped on stage.