so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

19 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Last i'd heard he was in the studio putting the finishing touches on his album and hadn't put a release date on it as he has already gone beyond the length of time he had wanted to get it done, he did the same with Gang Signs and Prayer though. Imagine he will drop it all on us at very short notice before the festival now and he will be hoping it puts him into the spotlight enough with some momentum for his headline spot. 

Could end up being genius, could be foolish, time will tell. 

It's an incredibly weak booking whichever way it's looked at, The Killers doing Belsonic makes that look a little weaker than some may have thought too.

I do think however though that next year's will be a massively strong one in aid of it and we could see the odd act play a slot lower maybe, 3rd instead of sub to fit on the bill.

Edited by thewayiam

I’m sure his headline set will be very enjoyable and full of energy for those that go and see him, but this really doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be looked back on with a ‘Wow Glastonbury really called this one’ kind of hindsight. It’s a booking based on the festival being backed in to a corner with very few other options masquerading as them giving a smaller act a leg up, and a new album from him isn’t gonna make it look any stronger at this point, but I hope he at least nails it as it’d be even worse to hear that it fell flat on its arse.

He was on Jonathan Ross in November-ish last year and suggested that the album was already finished.

He said that he was growing his hair with the intention of getting it cut when the album was finished as a signal that it was done but he'd forgotten to tell everyone about this plan so his haircut went unnoticed.   JR asked "is the album finished then?" and Stormzy replied "well I've got the haircut".

I don't think it'll require much build up time, though.  It could just drop suddenly at any point.

On the one hand, they'd benefit from the Glastonbury exposure by releasing it around then.  However, I think he really needs people to *know* the songs in advance before he takes that headline slot so I hope it'll drop in April or May.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m sure his headline set will be very enjoyable and full of energy for those that go and see him, but this really doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be looked back on with a ‘Wow Glastonbury really called this one’ kind of hindsight. It’s a booking based on the festival being backed in to a corner with very few other options masquerading as them giving a smaller act a leg up, and a new album from him isn’t gonna make it look any stronger at this point, but I hope he at least nails it as it’d be even worse to hear that it fell flat on its arse.

Honestly think it would have been better to give it to Liam, 75% set of Oasis songs blaring out on the Pyramid.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s a booking based on the festival being backed in to a corner with very few other options masquerading as them giving a smaller act a leg up

I can see why it could easily be viewed this way, but the thing that makes me take it at face value is that it seems he was booked pretty early on. When he tweeted that quote from whichever Gallagher it was about hip hop on the Pyramid, he clearly knew he was headlining. And that was way before they'd confirmed if they could get Maca or not by the sound of it. I think they decided to give him a leg up based on the fact that they thought other stronger/more traditional headliners were going to be booked ... 

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I can see why it could easily be viewed this way, but the thing that makes me take it at face value is that it seems he was booked pretty early on. When he tweeted that quote from whichever Gallagher it was about hip hop on the Pyramid, he clearly knew he was headlining. And that was way before they'd confirmed if they could get Maca or not by the sound of it. I think they decided to give him a leg up based on the fact that they thought other stronger/more traditional headliners were going to be booked ... 

Oh yeah I’ve no doubt that he was booked a long time ago, but it’s hard to imagine he was first choice and more likely was chosen due to the lack of other headlines touring/available this year. If his new album release coincided with any other year I doubt he’d be given such a big leg up - Pyramid sub feels far more in line with Glastonbury’s booking trends of the last decade or so.

I don’t think it was anything to do with a lack of options. Around the time of the BRITs Grenfell speech I can see why they thought it was a good idea. Good morally and they, probably wrongly, thought he would get considerably bigger to the extent it would look like a good booking by the time the festival came round. It’s hard to predict things like that and I wouldn’t say Glasto are especially good at it.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Don't know how you can say 'a new album from him isn't going to make it look any stronger', surely if his new album comes out and is a huge success, spawns a few massive hits etc then it would 100% make the booking look stronger?

17 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Don't know how you can say 'a new album from him isn't going to make it look any stronger', surely if his new album comes out and is a huge success, spawns a few massive hits etc then it would 100% make the booking look stronger?

I'd say that he'll have to get a wriggle on if the new album is going to be a hit, the festival is three months away. Is that enough time for the singles from it to be recognised during the headline slot?

I'm of the thought that it'll be a great show, heavily supported by/reliant upon a few on stage collaborations.

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'd say that he'll have to get a wriggle on if the new album is going to be a hit, the festival is three months away. Is that enough time for the singles from it to be recognised during the headline slot?

I'm of the thought that it'll be a great show, heavily supported by/reliant upon a few on stage collaborations.

I will concede he needs to hurry up with it! But even if it comes out a month from now, still plenty of time for him to get a big hit or 2 that everyone know by the end of June, especially in this viral day and age.

15 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

I will concede he needs to hurry up with it! But even if it comes out a month from now, still plenty of time for him to get a big hit or 2 that everyone know by the end of June, especially in this viral day and age.

Yeah, that's a fair point and will probably happen. If the first single is strong, the album and the headline slot hype will soon gain some serious momentum.

I wonder if during the negotiations between GFL and Stormzy the subject of new material, timing, etc was mentioned? I'd imagine it was. It would be a huge error to give the slot to him on the back of one album and a couple EPs

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine if theyd announced Foals as a headliner and then they dropped that album that a lot of us have had on repeat. The hype would be huge. It's a dull booking from a year of numerous dull bookings and seemingly missed opportunities. I hope it goes well for him though, he seems like a decent guy.

29 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Imagine if theyd announced Foals as a headliner and then they dropped that album that a lot of us have had on repeat. The hype would be huge. It's a dull booking from a year of numerous dull bookings and seemingly missed opportunities. I hope it goes well for him though, he seems like a decent guy.

A dull booking? Have an objective look at it.

5 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

A dull booking? Have an objective look at it.

Are you madly excited that Stormzy is headlining? He just pulled out of headlining another fest because he didn't like his manager getting weapon searched and we've got nothing but crickets on the second album. As it stands he doesn't even have enough music to fill a headline slot!

Edited by Madyaker

6 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Are you madly excited that Stormzy is headlining? He just pulled out of headlining another fest because he didn't like his manager getting weapon searched and we've got nothing but crickets on the second album. As it stands he doesn't even have enough music to fill a headline slot!

I think you’ve lost your track of what you’re trying to say and letting your own personal bias get in the way.

8 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

He just pulled out of headlining another fest because he didn't like his manager getting weapon searched 

It seems like you are trying to belittle the situation. Do you think it is an over reaction from Stormzy? He's made a clear statement saying that members of his team were racially profiled by physically aggressive security. I'd suggest you at least try to understand his position.

• Upvote 1