so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I was taking the piss. Obviously he's got a new album coming if he's being bumped up to headline Glastonbury. He's announced that it's finished, too.

oh. What a nonse I appear. I find sarcasm hard to spot sometimes

Edited by willutalk
  • Upvote 1

Stormzy is on the new ‘Coldplay’ (aka Los Unidades) EP...

Global Citizen EP 1 Track List

1. “Rise Up” (feat. Nelson Mandela) – Stargate
2. “E-Lo” (feat. Jozzy) – Los Unidades and Pharrell Williams
3. “Timbuktu” (feat. Stormzy & Jess Kent) – Cassper Nyovest and Los Unidades
4. “Voodoo” (feat. Tiwa Savage, Wizkid, Danny Ocean & David Guetta) – Stargate and Los Unidades

Special guests just waiting to happen...

Well yeah the main argument as to why Stormzy could headline and the likes of Skepta couldn't was the fact he's moved into more mainstream circles via things like collaborating with Ed Sheeran. You're not gonna get a grime act who hasn't somewhat sold out headlining the Pyramid Stage. In the same way you're not gonna get some underground indie band headlining the Pyramid. Every "cool" act who ends up headlining the Pyramid loses some of their "cool" factor along the way.

For a grime artist to be known by people’s mums there has to be an element of selling out.

i think this will be Stormzys peak. I don’t think this will launch him much further than he already is, as there’s not really anywhere else for him to go. He won’t break America and I highly doubt he’s going to go down any experimental routes. He will continue releasing the same thing until his value / stock completely goes (like Dizzie)

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

don't think there's been any news of it, but there's no need for the traditional 5-month album build-up anymore. a few weeks is plenty nowadays. he's playing Snowbombing festival in a few weeks so there might be new material when he plays there.

It’s some sort of #Merky takeover thing isn’t it? So maybe not a full on headline set.

Forget he exists nowadays tbh. Tho that might be as a result of him disappearing to the studio to get this thing done.

Last i'd heard he was in the studio putting the finishing touches on his album and hadn't put a release date on it as he has already gone beyond the length of time he had wanted to get it done, he did the same with Gang Signs and Prayer though. Imagine he will drop it all on us at very short notice before the festival now and he will be hoping it puts him into the spotlight enough with some momentum for his headline spot. 

Could end up being genius, could be foolish, time will tell.