so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

I remember Kings of Leon being booked ten years ago and people questioning the choice, saying they weren't big enough, questioning if they could pull it off, accusing the festival of being tight by going for a weaker headliner.

A couple of months later, and they were suddenly the biggest band in the world, having then released Sex on Fire.

This could be huge for Stormzy's career. Wouldn't be the first time an artist has gone on to bigger things after being "bumped up" to headlining festivals. Kings of Leon, Muse, Arcade Fire, Biffy Clyro, Foals, Paramore, even Mumford and Sons, none of them were "big enough" when they made their headline debuts at major UK festivals. Look at them all now.

On the flip side this could be like when The Darkness and Razorlight headlined Reading and Leeds.:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Fiat 500 Twitter maybe, Dark Fruits is all Oasis, Courteeners and Indie Points lads. 

Dark Fruits just listen to any music the NME promotes, which they've done with Grime a lot in recent years.

Fiat 500 is mostly stuff like Beyonce and other normie type stuff.

1 minute ago, VCK said:

Dark Fruits just listen to any music the NME promotes, which they've done with Grime a lot in recent years.

Fiat 500 is mostly stuff like Beyonce and other normie type stuff.

Fair, well, I should then say that I enjoy it pissing off Oasis fans, and people that think the Glastonbury headline slot is sacred and should be guitar based. 

41 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Fair, well, I should then say that I enjoy it pissing off Oasis fans, and people that think the Glastonbury headline slot is sacred and should be guitar based. 

I think he'll win a lot of people over, like Jay-Z and Metallica did.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Stormzie is pretty normie though. You don't see Richard Ashcroft appearing on Love Island.

Stormzy is pretty normie, but Fiat 500 listens to very normie stuff.

1 minute ago, VCK said:

I think he'll win a lot of people over, like Jay-Z and Metallica did.

Stormzy is pretty normie, but Fiat 500 listens to very normie stuff.

Ah. I get ya.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

This could be huge for Stormzy's career. Wouldn't be the first time an artist has gone on to bigger things after being "bumped up" to headlining festivals. Kings of Leon, Muse, Arcade Fire, Biffy Clyro, Foals, Paramore, even Mumford and Sons, none of them were "big enough" when they made their headline debuts at major UK festivals. Look at them all now.

Tbf you can still get haw-hawed out of a Glastonbury headliner thread for suggesting any of these.

7 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Well you will be gutted to know that I'm an Oasis fan and know other Oasis fans that feel the booking of Stormzy is a good one. 

Just because Noel Gallagher doesn't like Glastonbury headliners if they aren't guitar based doesn't mean all fans of his music agree.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know how anyone can say this booking isn’t at the least a slight gamble. No one knows what this mythical second album sounds like and certainly not how it will be received. 

Imo EE has pushed this a year too early. If it hadn’t of been for the fact that it is the anniversary next year, I feel she’d of waited  but they’ve probably already been working towards getting who they want for next year. 

Also, it is allowed to not agree with this booking. At the moment on here it appears that any perceived criticism is being jumped on quite aggressively. Then on the flip side of this it appears to be perfectly fine to attack any indie rock bands or ‘white men with guitars’ and their fan bases. 

The people saying anything about this booking making Glastonbury shit or that they are going to send their tickets back obviously haven’t been before or don’t get the place at all. Probably better for them to give up their ticket so someone who desperately wants to go has a better chance of getting a ticket  

Anyway, as I’ve said before on here, good luck to Stormzy and hopefully he puts on a good show as he does come across as a decent lad. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

I don’t know how anyone can say this booking isn’t at the least a slight gamble.

I'm not sure anything is a gamble with Glastonbury, they'll sell out in under an hour every year for at least the foreseeable future.

8 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Also, it is allowed to not agree with this booking. At the moment on here it appears that any perceived criticism is being jumped on quite aggressively. Then on the flip side of this it appears to be perfectly fine to attack any indie rock bands or ‘white men with guitars’ and their fan bases.

Thanks for saying it better than I could.

13 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

I'm not sure anything is a gamble with Glastonbury, they'll sell out in under an hour every year for at least the foreseeable future.

Thanks for saying it better than I could.

Yeah, I didn’t mean that they were gambling with future ticket sales, I’d still go no matter who was Headlining and most would be the same. I was meaning more if it the booking was perceived as a success or not. 

Not a big fan of the great Stromzy and (if I get a ticket in resales) I won't be watching his legendary performance on the pyramid stage.

BUT as a well seasoned Glasto punter I totally agree with this booking, I remember a time when there weren't headliners but just what seemed to be random bands thrown in to any time slot available throughout the weekend. The festival didn't need blockbuster headliners then and certainly doesn't need them now, in fact even less so nowadays given the popularity of the place.

• Upvote 1

That was a slow confirmation.. Not particularly arsed meself, but sod it, there are tonnes of stages and hundreds (thousands?) of acts on over the weekend. Might pop along, might not, even if there's nowt else that jumps out to me Friday headline slot anywhere, I'll just be happy to be there. 

Finding it weird some of the negative reactions I've been reading over on Facebook. Not read the 47 pages on here, so nowt I say is intentionally aimed at anyone here, mind. Some people just seem to have this fixed idea of what Glastonbury headliners should be, there's a fair bit of entitlement about it, it's weird. The Glastonbury lineup isn't tailor made for anyone, there must've been a fair few headliners over the years that even Michael and Emily aren't fans of. More to it than the headliners anyway, but if people are going to let headliners they're not fans of ruin a weekend for them, what can you do. Seeing comments about how Glastonbury has lost it - what, based on a headliner? Tail wagging the dog. Come to think of it, first time I went I didn't see a single Pyramid headliner and had an amazing time. It's not like we're short of options and it's not like it's a gamble or personal affront to me if they pick headliners I'm not arsed about. The audience has already been drawn, they were before a single act was booked. Be nice for me if the other two Pyramid headliners are more to my taste, but if they're not fuck it, I'll find summat.

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

Can you find anything nice written on social media!!!??

Ah, course. I keep falling into the same trap, when will I learn?! 

Does fascinate me though, wonder how differently people present themselves on social media and face to face and if the presentations are that different, why... I'm often embarrassed of stuff I put on social media, think more people should be but fear they might not be..

I watched him in 2017 on the Other and i'd see him again unless his new album is awful, suppose that's the risk that they have taken with it not being out yet but they have done it before. 

If there is another act on another stage that lures me in then i'll go there but otherwise i'd expect to be at the Pyramid to see him smash it. Btw I loved his response on Instagram "28th June We'll See" and a pic of Moaninho cupping his ear. 

12 hours ago, Anarion said:

Bit weird to have a headliner from a genre that only the english care about, but the booking's more exciting than the 59 and 76 year olds who are rumoured to headline the other nights.

Not quite true, my my mate from Belfast was getting right in the mosh pit for Storm-zayyy last year, so he was.