so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Do people who aren't into grime or take a serious interest in music like those on here know BBK by name, though? I think Skepta playing on his own would have drawn a bigger crowd than them because more people know him by name. They were up against Ed Sheeran, too. Honestly I think they were doomed from the start.

Stormzy will be fine, everyone knows Stormzy.

Yep, that was never gonna end well for them. Stick em up against Radiohead and they would've drawn a much bigger crowd. Stormzy will do just fine, regardless of who is on the other stages.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

True. First video that popped up, and I'm just asking the question.

Someone being good or liking them doesn't mean it works to a stadium sized audience. 

I hope my doubts are misplaced of course and he smashed it out of the park. 

You had doubts about Stevie Wonder. 

50 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

This thread in a nutshell. 

Stormzy - good booking but will be somewhere else

Stormzy - one album!! (yadda yadda Arctic Monkeys)

Stormzy - Fuck that, Glastonbury sucks giving back me ticket

Stormzy - Who?

Stormzy - Yeah, inspired can't wait

Stormzy - Oh me mam love's him and says he seems like a lovely chap

Stormzy - that's that Banksy lad isn't it?

Stormzy - Stabbings, stabbings everywhere

Stormzy - Pablo Honey

???  out of upvotes 

You forgot one:

Stormzy - why not Dizzee

• Upvote 1

Can't be bothered to read the latest flurry of pages but in my opinion it's a great booking. 

Glasto should be doing all they can to bump up artists, whether they are black, white, female, whatever. He's one of the biggest artists in the UK and deserves a shot. 

He'll smash it (and if he doesn't then it can't be any worse the The Banjo Boys). 

3 minutes ago, battleborn said:

I thought Download was a music festival? Not on this evidence.

Monsters of rock was a music festival - download is a commercial rock festival.

Glastonbury is not a music festival - it's a festival of contemporary arts - and like it or not stormzy is contemporary.

The poetic genius that is

Try tell me I'm way too big to rebel?
Nah, man, you're never too big to rebel
I was in the O2 singing my lungs out
Rudeboy, you're never too big for Adele
Leave my yard, blow a kiss to my girl
Salute to my sister as well
Gotta keep trophies down at my mum's bit

Man, I'm getting way too big for my shelf
Man, I see bare MCs wanna sideline
But I still got a couple bangers in the pipeline

The modern Paul McCartney, Paul Simon or Bob Dylan, evidently

He isn't even grimes answer to Alex Turner.

Nursery kids could write better shit than this.

Lol at everyone thinking that the Glastonbury gods orbit them 24/7. Overjoyed that Stormzy is headlining even though I most likely won't be hovering Pyramid that night. The criteria for headliners has changed as music accessibility/disposability has changed - no need to cry! 

2 minutes ago, battleborn said:

The poetic genius that is

The modern Paul McCartney, Paul Simon or Bob Dylan, evidently

He isn't even grimes answer to Alex Turner.

Nursery kids could write better shit than this.

[Verse 1]
Mister Marks, can you find for me
Someone strong and sweet fitting on my knee?
She can keep her job if she gets it wrong
Ah, but, Mister Marks, I won't need her long
All I need is help for a little while
We can take dictation and learn to smile
And a temporary secretary
Is what I need for to do the job
I need a

[Chorus]
Temporary secretary, temporary secretary

[Verse 2]
Mister Marks, could you send her quick?
'Cause my regular has been getting sick
I need a

[Chorus]

1 minute ago, battleborn said:

Public Enemy were manufactured by pop companies to cash in on rap. They don't count.

Public Enemy were the definition of an "Indie" group though, and big labels didn't really start cashing in on Hip Hop until the mid 90s, when PE were past their prime.

Just now, VCK said:

Public Enemy were the definition of an "Indie" group though, and big labels didn't really start cashing in on Hip Hop until the mid 90s, when PE were past their prime.

Bollocks. Public Enemy were marketed as an indie group but all the money was been syphoned off by big record companies.Just because that big record company was owned by a black guy doesn't make it any less of a predatory big corp,

Def Jam was owned by CBS after all and is now owned by UMG and Virgin in the US and UK respectively, the intention was always to exploit the emerging hip-hop scene for the companies gain, not some indie goal as you seem deluded to believe. Public Enemy were one of a number of victims in this story.

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hi D-Low

I won't presume to guess how old you are, or what music you like, but I think you're under a misconception here.

I''m no stranger to the concept of industry-manipulation, but I think you're wrong here.

I quite like hip-hop, but wouldn't think of it as an area off music I actively listen to a lot. With grime, personally I think it's a little bit ridiculous, mostly without huge musical merit for me. But I'm thinking that you don't understand how genuinely MASSIVE some of that stuff is, and in the same way that younger people often latch onto the best known artists in the pop and rock genres, so do they in hip-hop and grime. As such, Stormzy is huge within that fanbase, and I do not believe for one moment he's an industry stooge, anymore than Little Mix are in pop. Yes, they're reality TV-manufactured, but that was years ago and they're still HUGE. 

The 'problem' is that the Glastonbury demographic has a significantly higher average age than comparable festivals - Glastonbury is not the IOW festival, where an 'older' demographic go to see nostalgia acts. Add that to the fact that this forum is populated by somewhat older members and Stormzy isn't a natural fit for eFesters. But there are a hell of a lot of Glastonbury goers, especially the younger, newer ones, who will love a booking like Stormzy, just as they would Kanye etc. I used to coach an under-sixteen rugby team and before and after every game they would play music in the changing room. This is a bunch of white kids in the Midlands and ALL they played was grime. I went to see Kendrick last year in Brum and the entire arena was rammed with white kids word perfect and in a frenzy, thrilled to drop the N bomb whenever they could. Again, it felt slightly absurd, but they were LOVING it. So, as a general observation of popularity amongst that portion of the festival-attending population, 2019 is perfect for an artist like Stormzy. The fact that Emily would juxtapose him with, say, Macca is a testament to GF's continued attempt not to descend into homogeny with most other festivals...

As I said before, I couldn't be happier for people to be furious and consider chucking their golden tickets back into the pot - they're exactly the sort of randoms that I have no interest in chatting with off tits at 5am on the Farm...

Ben
x

I'm 28 not that it makes much difference.

And It's funny because I've grown up with grime since circa 2001. The original Deja Vu, Freeze 92.7 days. At one point it was literally the only thing I would listen to. I work in the music industry and you'd be surprised how easily an artist can be moved in to prime placement in the media. If a record label truly wants to push something, believe me, they can. This is the only reason why I have these misconceptions to his sudden popularity. Especially when there's so much prime talent in that scene who can't get through the door. 

I feel like anyone who has an opinion on Stormzy being shit is instantly tarnished with the same brush, assuming that I'll be giving up my ticket and jumping on to social media with "RIP Glastonbury" tweets. That's not me in the slightest. There's enough music over the weekend to last for months. I'm not going to cry over a 90 minute set on Friday night.

I just don't get Stormzy. Never have never will. Good on him for getting this and for the fans that like him it'll be a great show I'm sure. I'll be elsewhere on the farm.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, D-Low said:

I'm 28 not that it makes much difference.

And It's funny because I've grown up with grime since circa 2001. The original Deja Vu, Freeze 92.7 days. At one point it was literally the only thing I would listen to. I work in the music industry and you'd be surprised how easily an artist can be moved in to prime placement in the media. If a record label truly wants to push something, believe me, they can. This is the only reason why I have these misconceptions to his sudden popularity. Especially when there's so much prime talent in that scene who can't get through the door. 

I feel like anyone who has an opinion on Stormzy being shit is instantly tarnished with the same brush, assuming that I'll be giving up my ticket and jumping on to social media with "RIP Glastonbury" tweets. That's not me in the slightest. There's enough music over the weekend to last for months. I'm not going to cry over a 90 minute set on Friday night.

I just don't get Stormzy. Never have never will. Good on him for getting this and for the fans that like him it'll be a great show I'm sure. I'll be elsewhere on the farm.

Quality reply that, bud

:)

Ben