so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

17 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Wow I’m getting called out all over the place for my comment about all white male headliners. Soz efester people. I only really said it because I’m so desperate for Lady Gaga to headline. Well and truly told. Back in my box.

Yeah, if either The Cure or Macca turns out to be false and it's really Gaga, this will be one of the strongest sets of headliners in a while. As things are, it's a little vexing that the rate of female headliners is so poor, especially as it looks like they've booked the fucking Gallaghers as subs.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah maybe if you think "how good are the Glastonbury headliners this year" is a more important issue than equal opportunities for all genders and races.

Of course I don't. But my point was that in the context of a music festival, I judge headliners based on how much they deserve it in terms of popularity.

If someone like, say, The Gaslight Anthem were announced to headline Glastonbury, as much as I love them, I'd think they'd be a piss poor choice as they're nowhere near headline material. Whereas Stormzy is because he's a huge name.

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Sure, it's possible to have a good set that's all white guitar blokes but the problem is that on a wider level those are the acts which consistently dominate the bookings across all festivals. 

That's more to do with the music industry than the actual people who book artists for festivals. Glastonbury, first and foremost, is a business, and like every festival they go for whoever will draw people in.

For what it's worth, Glastonbury has a more diverse line up than a lot of festivals because it's less niche than, say, Download, which caters more to genres of music where most artists are white men.

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Fan or not a fan aside, how will 90 minutes of this go down on the Pyramid?

This is an 80,000 people sized gig remember. They're the numbers they aim for anyway. 

I like Stormzy but I'm not sure footage of a bunch of teens and parents stood about awkwardly at Capital's Summertime Ball is a great advert for his live credentials.

• Upvote 1

Glastonbury book the most exciting new artist in mainstream music who blew up ridiculously on the back of his debut album to headline. A man who fits the ethos of the festival perfectly and is using his platform to bring attention to important issues.

Almost everybody on this forum agrees it's a perfect booking. Those who like his music are excited for it; some people who'd never listened to him now have now done so and want to see him; the ones who don't like him have said they'll be elsewhere but think he's a great booking for the festival; some of those people have even said they'll give him a watch out of interest.

Big Vern has seen through it all, though. He knows Glastonbury are just booking him because he's black.

1 minute ago, VCK said:

That's more to do with the music industry than the actual people who book artists for festivals. Glastonbury, first and foremost, is a business, and like every festival they go for whoever will draw people in.

For what it's worth, Glastonbury has a more diverse line up than a lot of festivals because it's less niche than, say, Download, which caters more to genres of music where most artists are white men.

How do you think the music industry changes if the businesses that make it up don't make an effort to bring that change about pal

2 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I like Stormzy but I'm not sure footage of a bunch of teens and parents stood about awkwardly at Capital's Summertime Ball is a great advert for his live credentials.

True. First video that popped up, and I'm just asking the question.

Someone being good or liking them doesn't mean it works to a stadium sized audience. 

I hope my doubts are misplaced of course and he smashed it out of the park. 

Edited by The Nal

Celebrating with a beer and Chinese food here at Collective For Glastonbury To Stop Booking Boring Beige Massive Stadium Fillers Out Of Habit And Take A Chance On Some More Interesting Acts Instead HQ tonight, things haven't been this wild since we got Arcade Fire and Metallica in the same year!

Brilliant booking from the Eavii, exactly the sort of booking they should be making. Glastonbury is lucky in that it sells out before an act is even announced so unlike many festivals that gives them the opportunity to make brave bookings, giving someone an  amazing opportunity, without worrying about ticket sales. Hopefully this is the start of more risk taking with bookings.

I'm just annoyed I went against my gut instinct and decided not to bet on him when he was 12/1

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Glastonbury book the most exciting new artist in mainstream music who blew up ridiculously on the back of his debut album to headline. A man who fits the ethos of the festival perfectly and is using his platform to bring attention to important issues.

Almost everybody on this forum agrees it's a perfect booking. Those who like his music are excited for it; some people who'd never listened to him now have now done so and want to see him; the ones who don't like him have said they'll be elsewhere but think he's a great booking for the festival; some of those people have even said they'll give him a watch out of interest.

Big Vern has seen through it all, though. He knows Glastonbury are just booking him because he's black.

I was actually referring to the genre as the box ticking exercise, you tool

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

How do you think the music industry changes if the businesses that make it up don't make an effort to bring that change about pal

But to be fair, Glastonbury has had headliners like Adele, Kanye, Beyonce and Jay-Z. All of which are some of the biggest names in the world when it comes to music. Like I say, it's a more diverse festival than a lot of UK festivals.

7 minutes ago, VCK said:

Of course I don't. But my point was that in the context of a music festival, I judge headliners based on how much they deserve it in terms of popularity.

If someone like, say, The Gaslight Anthem were announced to headline Glastonbury, as much as I love them, I'd think they'd be a piss poor choice as they're nowhere near headline material. Whereas Stormzy is because he's a huge name.

People aren't saying that having a female headliner or a black headliner makes it a better trio in terms of quality, though. They're talking about it being good in that it contributes to an effort to increase opportunities for people who aren't white males.

Like, I prefer The Cure to Stormzy, easily, but Stormzy is a much better booking, partly for this reason.

It's also gonna be fucking lit.

3 minutes ago, Big Vern said:

I'll look forward to walking past 1000s of middle class white folks standing gangsta for 30 mins

Why does that matter lol? You seem offended that people are going to go and enjoy something that you don't like.

2 minutes ago, Big Vern said:

I was actually referring to the genre as the box ticking exercise, you tool

Course you were. Why would Glastonbury box tick having a hip-hop headliner?