so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

I'm not a fan of his music but this is a good booking.

Plus if the other two headliners are The Cure and Paul McCartney then he's definitely a good choice for . Grime's really popular right now so it was only a matter of time before an artist from that genre headlined a UK festival.

I just wish people wouldn't be so desperate to make it about race though. Black artist is booked to headline a festival, a few white people aren't happy because they don't like his music, so what? That's no worse than people who constantly moan about there being too many white male artists at festivals. If you like the artist, great. If other people don't, great. As long as you're judging the artist on their actual music rather than their race or gender or anything, then I respect your opinion.

7 minutes ago, VCK said:

That's no worse than people who constantly moan about there being too many white male artists at festivals. If you like the artist, great. If other people don't, great. As long as you're judging the artist on their actual music rather than their race or gender or anything, then I respect your opinion.

This is a good thing to moan about, actually.

People have this weird thing of hating whatever's trendy. The reaction to Stormzy isn't really that much different to when the likes of Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, Kings of Leon, The Strokes, Kasabian, etc would be announced to headline festivals ten years ago, when "white men with guitars" was the trendy thing to like.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Wow I’m getting called out all over the place for my comment about all white male headliners. Soz efester people. I only really said it because I’m so desperate for Lady Gaga to headline. Well and truly told. Back in my box.

I think it's a totally fair point ? Its great that he's an exciting choice in so many ways!

9 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Wow I’m getting called out all over the place for my comment about all white male headliners. Soz efester people. I only really said it because I’m so desperate for Lady Gaga to headline. Well and truly told. Back in my box.

Did you go and say a thing?

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

This is a good thing to moan about, actually.

Only if the headliners are weak, such as Fall Out Boy at Reading and Leeds this year, but that's because that was an awful, nonsensical booking.

Glastonbury's 2009 headliners were all white men with guitars, and that was an astounding set of headliners. 

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

OJ Simpson spent his whole career telling people "it isn't about race"... Spoiler alert, it was.

Of course there are problems with race, but music is music. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

For what it's worth, I didn't go in 2013 but if I did, I'd have definitely seen Public Enemy over the Stones. ;)

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

Only if the headliners are weak, such as Fall Out Boy at Reading and Leeds this year, but that's because that was an awful, nonsensical booking.

Glastonbury's 2009 headliners were all white men with guitars, and that was an astounding set of headliners. 

Yeah maybe if you think "how good are the Glastonbury headliners this year" is a more important issue than equal opportunities for all genders and races.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah maybe if you think "how good are the Glastonbury headliners this year" is a more important issue than equal opportunities for all genders and races.

Only if all genders and races produce music of the quality required to headline one of the biggest festivals in the world.

To date this dude hasnt

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, VCK said:

Sure, it's possible to have a good set that's all white guitar blokes but the problem is that on a wider level those are the acts which consistently dominate the bookings across all festivals. 

1 minute ago, Big Vern said:

I may be totally wrong, but I suspect that field won't be full.  One album and headlining, really?  Feels like a box ticking exercise to me.

I think theyre promoting vibrant and relevant music which is good. I assume Glasto HQ have got a sneak peek of some new tunes and an insight into label support too.

The issue isnt how full itll be at the start, its how many people will be there at the end?

I havent a clue how thatll play out but we have seen that Pyramid Field empty out wholesale a couple of times recently.