so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

1 minute ago, alf13 said:

Really don’t think he’s ready for it yet tbh, what actually makes him so big? As much as I love him, he only has one album and hasn’t ever done arena tours or anything, really think he could be a great headliner in a few years, but now? No way.

Headlined Wireless, probably headlining some other things soon too. Interestingly his day at Wireless didn't sell out as quickly as DJ Khaled's, but I guess he's done a lot more UK shows.

33 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Last year I remember feeling depressed every week as horrifically unambitious, vanilla, safe and dull festival line-ups were announced. It was shocking. I have no interest in grime and will be nowhere near the Pyramid, but I think it’s a fantastic booking. If you’re not innovating, controversial and risk taking, you’re V. 

?? Eavii

Ben

Agreed. Prob wont be there tho!

Edited by semmtexx

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The night Kanye headlined you could have instead watched Dedmau5, Suede, The Moody Blues, Parliament Funkadelic with George Clinton, Jon Hopkins, Public Service Broadcasting, gone to the naughty corner, wandered into any of the smaller stages and areas in the Green Fields, or just sat and got hammered in any of the many, many bars.

If you can't find some way to have a good time with all that available you shouldn't really be going to festivals.

Totally! One act when there's SO much on offer!

Edited by semmtexx

Comments on Facebook seem to range from negative to casual racism to actual straight up racism. Which is as sad as it is unsurprising! 

Everyone who’s been before knows how unimportant one announcement is in the scheme of things. But if it means one more idiot doesn’t pay their ticket balance then that can only be a good thing!! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Acid Loafers said:

Maybe... Maybe they released it today, BECAUSE OF BREXIT & Theresa May.

Emily Eavis will soon announce that alongside Brexit, Glasto 2019 will be a UK only festival with only British acts.

We don't need any foreign acts stealing our festivals Line Ups! /s

let's get the pitchforks out for Ramblin' Man Fair, they booked...

Foreigner

Burn them!

12 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Last year I remember feeling depressed every week as horrifically unambitious, vanilla, safe and dull festival line-ups were announced. It was shocking. I have no interest in grime and will be nowhere near the Pyramid, but I think it’s a fantastic booking. If you’re not innovating, controversial and risk taking, you’re V. 

?? Eavii

Ben

Disagree - it's not risky or innovative at all. He's the second 'biggest' young British male solo artist after Ed Sheeran and it replicates booking him as headliner in 2017. Genre is irrelevant after Kanye West.

Stormzy's profile is clearly huge in the UK, but he doesn't have the back catalogue in terms of size or quality and he doesn't have a proven track record as a live performer. It's a lazy booking which combines a low fee compared to quality, established artists like Fleetwood Mac, Madonna etc with the organiser's long-term strategy to sell the festival to a younger, pop audience.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Headlined Wireless, probably headlining some other things soon too. Interestingly his day at Wireless didn't sell out as quickly as DJ Khaled's, but I guess he's done a lot more UK shows.

True, maybe I’m just being pessimistic. I’ve seen him live twice and they were two absolutely amazing nights so I would love to see him again, it’s a bold move booking him but probably a good one in the long run.

8 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

Disagree - it's not risky or innovative at all. He's the second 'biggest' young British male solo artist after Ed Sheeran and it replicates booking him as headliner in 2017. Genre is irrelevant after Kanye West.

Stormzy's profile is clearly huge in the UK, but he doesn't have the back catalogue in terms of size or quality and he doesn't have a proven track record as a live performer. It's a lazy booking which combines a low fee compared to quality, established artists like Fleetwood Mac, Madonna etc with the organiser's long-term strategy to sell the festival to a younger, pop audience.

Is there a way to automate a 'He has the same size back catalogue as Arctic Monkeys did' response to all of these type of posts?

Edited by Winslow Leach

In the US I can honestly say I've never heard of Stormzy. Is this guy that massive in the UK? Is he at Drake/Kanye levels of popularity over there?

I probably won't catch his set, but it just seems bizarre for an act with such little material to headline a major festival. Does he even have 90mins of material? It'd be like if Lil Uzi Vert or Tekashi were headlining Coachella, strange stuff.

10 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

It's a lazy booking which combines a low fee compared to quality, established artists like Fleetwood Mac, Madonna

Sometimes when you buy a cheap bottle of wine it gets you merry as can fucking be. 

Sometimes when someone brings a fancy one round to dinner, it tastes shit.

Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by jyoung
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gearbm95 said:

In the US I can honestly say I've never heard of Stormzy. Is this guy that massive in the UK? Is he at Drake/Kanye levels of popularity over there?

I probably won't catch his set, but it just seems bizarre for an act with such little material to headline a major festival. Does he even have 90mins of material? It'd be like if Lil Uzi Vert or Tekashi were headlining Coachella, strange stuff.

He had a 2017 number one album that was the tenth best-selling album record in the UK that year. His album sold less records than Pink and Michael Ball's.

2 minutes ago, gearbm95 said:

he's big, he's not massive, but has a high public profile (people's mum know of him :P ). He's a bit of a 'nice guy of the moment' (I don't mean that disparagingly), speaking out and acting on a few social issues.

1 minute ago, gearbm95 said:

No, he isn't as big as Drake/Kanye, but he's the next rung down on the ladder. Plus, hardly any Glasto headliners are as big as Drake.

He's releasing a second album and plenty of acts headline festivals, including Glastonbury, with two albums. He headlined Wireless just fine this year so I'm sure he won't have any issues. It isn't like Lil Uzi Vert or 6ix9ine headlining Coachella, as Stormzy is a massive celebrity here even outside of music fans. He's appears on talk shows like Jonathan Ross, he was on Love Island this year, he cleaned up at the BRIT Awards, beating off acts like Ed Sheeran to do so. It's probably more like when The Weeknd headlined Coachella.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Sometimes when you buy a cheap bottle of wine it gets you merry as can fucking be. 

Sometimes when someone brings a fancy one round to dinner, it tastes shit.

Swings and roundabouts.

They're definitely shopping at Lidl as far as this year's headliners are concerned.