so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

The more I actually think about Stormzy as a headliner the more I actually like it and that's coming from someone who isn't a fan of his music and who will 95% likely be somewhere else when he headlines. 

That isn't a dig at him but I just don't feel his music from a personal taste, I don't really like grime (or sub categories) in general but fair play to them for making their scene matter. 

The reason why I like it isn't either because he is black or its Glastonbury trying to push more ethnically equal or have more women headliners etc. Not saying that's what they are doing btw, just adding in the elements I've seen talked over in the bookings in recent years. Personally I think all festivals should get the best acts they can get, if its three women one year, so be it, if its three ethnic groups minus white people so be it, if its all white males (playing guitars) then so be it. 

The reason I like it is because of the element of risk involved and it also gives the younger, newer more relevant artists a voice, people can break through and become mainstream stars with booking like this. 

I wanna see new bands break through, it gives a whole generation some hope they can go out there and headline Glastonbury and I think we need that. Loads of great new acts are about from all genres of music but a lot of them get stuck in that loop of middle festival bookings and the same touring schedules and either disappear or stagnate. 

A lot of the old acts are great BTW, I love seeing them like anyone else but look at it this way, most of the 60/70s bands are near done and a whole lot of bands from the 80/90s who were huge seemed to have main members deceased and thus won't be around to be called upon when the others are gone. 

I'm about five to ten years we won't be discussing the usual rumours that never will happen like Zeppelin, Floyd, Fleetwood Mac etc cause they won't be around or able to play anymore, along with your Stones, Who's, McCartney, Dylan etc sad thought but it is true. 

Pearl Jam are probably the only survivors of the grunge era that could headline, don't think there's much demand for a Sex Pistols reunion (and they have less songs than Stormzy anyway) from. The Punk era, there's a few hip hop old timers but not many, half of their stars are dead too. 

So are we gonna end up with a circle of Britpop bands, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay and Muse on repeat. Stormzy might bomb or he might kill it and go on to be huge, I'd hope for the latter as he does that and maybes you get bands like Oh Sees, Moonlandingz, King Gizard and many more who haven't even started yet saying I want that fucking slot as well (not saying those bands in particular are gonna go on to headline). If Stormzy headlining is successful and other festivals follow suit and take more risks then its surely better for the music scene as a whole. 

And if it bombs, well they can go back to the old model in 2020 and we're no worse off. If your going to Glasto and you don't like Stormzy you have about 100 other stages to find something you do like, it isn't gonna take away from your weekend so it ain't got a lot to lose. You could switch Stormzy with the 1975 and I'd stay the same thing, hope its a success but I'll be elsewhere that night. Next year it might be a band I like who gets that shot and then I'm gonna be chuffed. Risks are good so fuck it, let's have it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 13

On 11/8/2018 at 9:52 PM, sisco said:

Only Streets info was they’d been offered Pyramid Sub or Other Header.  Sure there was nothing on days?! Sadly for me they’d probably go up against Macca 

Funny how they've gone from JP to potential Other stage headliners just by disappearing for a few years. 

I also think if they stuck muse, Coldplay, radiohead, the who or any of the other multi-glasto headliners they'd be playing it safe and Glasto would be a more middle-aged and dull festival for it.

Do headliners on the pyramid stage need to be TV ratings fodder or should they be artists at the top of their game at that precise moment in time?

I think Glasto has the history to stick whoever they want on the pyramid and for it to work as real music fans will still have a good time.

I rarely watch more than one headliner on the pyramid, as there's so much more to see and do. So I don't care who they put on provided they put on the best performance they can and it adds to the diversity of the festival.

So earlier I listened to Stormzy for the first time properly. I probably won't see him at Glastonbury because my other half isn't interested and he'll no doubt clash with acts I prefer.  Though it isn't really my thing, I really enjoyed it and the brits awards video too. I like the fact he's up and coming, political, from a slightly different genre to anything that has gone before and a variation in demographic - one of the things I love about Glastonbury is the diversity, in all senses. 

Whilst listening to him I was picturing it at Glastonbury - we can now do this (for the first time in nearly 18 months) with TBC acts. Though I probably won't be there  but I'll be nearby having the time of my life. When there, and watching on TV after, I love the thought of all the different people, from this lovely online community, enjoying what their into in their own way having obsessed over it for so long. 

Then I came on here and saw how much of a fractious day it has been ?. Some things have been challenged (and rightly so) but, with fingers crossed for some in the resales, we'll all be there in June - I'll enjoy my Glastonbury, I hope you all enjoy yours. ?

Well I've just caught up on that. 

This thread really dipped into the darkness for a bit there, but its pulled itself out. There are a lot of articulate people on this board with eloquent ways of voicing their opinion, and it made reading back enjoyable. 

Im fully converted personally and think Stormzy is actually the best fucking booking possible. No other booking is going to evoke this type of emotion. I think anyone who is genuinely upset enough to think this has killed the festival, then hopefully you wont be back next year for this dead fest that is my favorite place on earth. And that means next year the festival will be a more inclusive place. This is what music festivals were originally intended to be. 

If you cant look at how different the music industry has become, and realize that the spirit of the ethos has changed. Who is going/not going based on any specific act? Glastonbury is one of the only festivals left that holds on to a bit of that...the entire festival sells out before any act is released. If they announced 3 headliners I didnt really know, I guarentee I'd still be there. As much as we all want our favorite band (daft punk) to have that healine slot, its just not always possible. I hope that one day I get that magical moment, and I hope everyone does, and I think for some people, that would be Stormzy. Even if he tanks it, nothing bad is going to happen. 

Stormzy as a booking is exciting, its HOPEFUL. Because he's the headliner Glastonbury deserves*. It's what will keep Glastonbury alive. 

I can't wait to be back on the farm!

*yes I'm intentionally quoting the dark knight. 

Edited by MetaKate
  • Upvote 14

Stormzy’s music inspires knife crime?

Hmmmm... Johnny Cash played the Pyramid stage in 94 and sung ‘i shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die".

But wait!  there was a shooting at Glastonbury 1994. Hold on, I reckon you might be on to something.

And don’t get me started on Nick Cave performing Stagger Lee on the Pyramid the other year. I literally heard him perform, then immediately went to get a drink and put four motherfucking holes in the barkeep’s head. I just couldn’t stop myself

where are the Eavii? I demand answers/restitution.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

This thread really dipped into the darkness for a bit there, but its pulled itself out. There are a lot of articulate people on this board with eloquent ways of voicing their opinion, and it made reading back enjoyable. 

Im fully converted personally and think Stormzy is actually the best fucking booking possible. No other booking is going to evoke this type of emotion. I think anyone who is genuinely upset enough to think this has killed the festival, then hopefully you wont be back next year for this dead fest that is my favorite place on earth. And that means next year the festival will be a more inclusive place. This is what music festivals were originally intended to be. 

If you cant look at how different the music industry has become, and realize that the spirit of the ethos has changed. Who is going/not going based on any specific act? Glastonbury is one of the only festivals left that holds on to a bit of that...the entire festival sells out before any act is released. If they announced 3 headliners I didnt really know, I guarentee I'd still be there. As much as we all want our favorite band (daft punk) to have that healine slot, its just not always possible. I hope that one day I get that magical moment, and I hope everyone does, and I think for some people, that would be Stormzy. Even if he tanks it, nothing bad is going to happen. 

Stormzy as a booking is exciting, its HOPEFUL. Because he's the headliner Glastonbury deserves*. It's what will keep Glastonbury alive. 

Well said. He's a fantastic booking for many reasons not least his stance on Grenfell and knife crime. The fact he's using his own money and fame to try and educate others is testament to how he fits the festivals profile and ethos. 

I still remember a story I read early this year or late last year when someone tweeted him (When he was still on Twitter) saying that their father had died and he loved blinded by your grace and Stormzy turned up to perform that song at the man's funeral for free. He's just a genuinely nice bloke. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42445580

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Agreed. Even if the headliners are not for me and I think they are poo, that is not what I go to Glasto for. The festival is so so so much more than the pyramid headliners. 

I am absolutely up for Stormzy headlining Glastonbury especially if there are two "golden oldies" on the other dates.

Glastonbury sells out before its lineup is even announced.  This puts them in a wonderful position of being able to create headliners.   Of course, people expect a certain level of quality from them but they get 3 Pyramid headliners each year and it would be great to see one of those nights being used to give a current artist a push up.   We can't keep relying on the same set of classic headliners, it's important that every generation has their own.

Stormzy has shown with his BRITs performance for example that he's got what it takes to put on something that can cross genres.   He's one of the most important artists out there right now for a younger generation.   Whilst I would prefer to see him sub this time and headline next time, I'd be more than happy to see Glastonbury take a bit of a risk here.

There are *plenty* of other stages for people to visit if you're not interested.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RyanS said:

Glastonbury sells out before its lineup is even announced.  This puts them in a wonderful position of being able to create headliners.   Of course, people expect a certain level of quality from them but they get 3 Pyramid headliners each year and it would be great to see one of those nights being used to give a current artist a push up.   We can't keep relying on the same set of classic headliners, it's important that every generation has their own.

Especially considering they more than likely won't be pushing anyone up and coming for a 2020 headline spot when Emily has said that a lot of big names approached them for that year. So if they want to give someone like Stormzy a chance then this is the best chance for a couple of years. I've no doubt he will do well. 

Hooray, the thread got nice again :)

Also, for what it's worth, I previously thought Stormzy was a super interesting, nice (and pretty handsome) guy but had presumed I wouldn't like his music due to the few snippets of grime (or music that I thought was grime...) that I'd heard. I listened to his album yesterday a couple of times. It's actually far more varied than I was expecting, with gospel parts and is quite soulful at times. I could totally imagine it being Pyramid dancable. I get the feeling that a lot of the "Glastonbury is Dead" brigade haven't listened to the whole album...

As a bit of a side note, I then spent a few hours listening to The Cure's spotify playlist and while their music in no way offensive (and made for good background music while chatting with friends), I definitely didn't find it exciting enough to make it worth a trip to the Pyramid. I didn't even bother with Maca....I already know he's not for me.

Stormzy for the win!

10 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I listened to his album yesterday a couple of times. It's actually far more varied than I was expecting, with gospel parts and is quite soulful at times. I could totally imagine it being Pyramid dancable. I get the feeling that a lot of the "Glastonbury is Dead" brigade haven't listened to the whole album...

This! The record has a lot of different sounds on it and I agree, I think a lot of people are shouting about it without having really delved into it at all. Stormzy has spoken about being influenced by artists such as Frank Ocean, Lauryn Hill and Drake. None of them particularly big on the grime scene are they. A lot of folk are talking exclusively about the genre. Some say it doesn't have a place at the festival, some say Wiley or Skepta are the more deserving grime artists but it doesn't matter... It's not about the genre. If you put him in a box, he's gonna smash straight through it and we're all going to see that on Friday 28th June 2019.

24 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Also, for what it's worth, I previously thought Stormzy was a super interesting, nice (and pretty handsome) guy but had presumed I wouldn't like his music due to the few snippets of grime (or music that I thought was grime...) that I'd heard. I listened to his album yesterday a couple of times. It's actually far more varied than I was expecting, with gospel parts and is quite soulful at times. I could totally imagine it being Pyramid dancable. I get the feeling that a lot of the "Glastonbury is Dead" brigade haven't listened to the whole album...

As a bit of a side note, I then spent a few hours listening to The Cure's spotify playlist and while their music in no way offensive (and made for good background music while chatting with friends), I definitely didn't find it exciting enough to make it worth a trip to the Pyramid. I didn't even bother with Maca....I already know he's not for me.

Stormzy for the win!

You’ve inspired me to go and listen to the album ?.

6 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

You’ve inspired me to go and listen to the album ?.

It's really an incredible album. He's such a diverse artist and provides a range of styles throughout the album. My personal highlights were Shut Up, Big For Your Boots, Cold, Cigarettes and Cush and Blinded By Your Grace Pt.2. 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:02 AM, Quark said:

So here's a question, purely theoretical of course.

It seems to be generally agreed that Stormzy headlining, while a bit of a gamble, would be a good step for the festival to take.  Also a fair few of us saying that, at the same time, it's not really our thing. And also wondering about the size of the crowd.

Would you take the hit on one night at the festival to watch an act you're not massively fond of, but on the principle that such things should be supported by having a decent crowd to maybe encourage the fest to take similar chances on headliners in future?

Full disclosure - I don't know.  Unless t's up against one of my must sees, I'd like to think I would.

We did exactly this for Jay Z and didn’t regret it. For me it’s one of the most exhilarating headline sets I’ve seen. I think Stormzy could provide a similar experience.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Stormzy for the win!

If Macca isn't for you, then neither is music *puts on tin hat* ??

• Upvote 1

I gave my self 10 minutes to have a listen to Stomzy yesterday, not my thing nowadays (I was a huge hip hop fan 30 years ago when the likes I was obsessed with anything on the Street Sounds label, loved Mantronix , LL Cool J etc, and was at UK Fresh 86 - now that was a gig) - anyway I digress..... wow Stormzy is one talented man, the lyrics are relevant (well what I heard so don;t shoot me), and hes exceptionally talented

Deserves a place to push the boundaries and headline - why not. I probably won;t be there, or could indeed do a first and stage hop, but why not take a gamble, hes a performing artist, and he certainly keeps the line up on its toes - thats what I love, no standard pyramid line up :-)

25 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

stormzy would be better than Muse / Coldplay 

still won;t be there , the youth might go . I don;t think there is anyone that could drag me to the pyramid stage  to watch a headliner

Out of interest what do you prefer doing ??  Always like to hear what people like to do