so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

34 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m not sure why you keep trotting that out as if it has any relevance to this subject. 

Fuck off old son.. When someone has a point of view that goes against any of yours you don't like it.. 

My brother fought and died after an injury in the Falkland war.. So it happens to be important to me. 

Fuck this I'm gone.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

23 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Fuck this I'm gone.. 

I hope not. And tomorrow I hope you can see that you just happened to post something contentious moments before a day that's understandably painful. Today, I hope you take a break and go and remember your brother.

I'm sorry if I made doing that any more difficult for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Bit sad how we're still running, does your mum know who Stormzy is?, doesn't really matter when the majority crowd he's getting booked for is half their age.

To be honest, I much preferred this thread during the light-hearted silliness of that (which I found to be more about our parents being somewhat out of touch than insinuating that their lack of awareness was a poor reflection on Stormzy's music). Now it's all got a bit dark and aggressive :( and it seems to be mostly the same arguments as in different years concerning Jay Z etc and their music not "belonging" on the Pyramid.

I don't really know where these "rules" about who belongs on the Pyramid and who doesn't come from. It's a festival of contemporary performing arts for crying out loud...that's pretty fucking broad!

• Upvote 1

Has this got anything to do with musical taste ? Or is it simply the gammon squad don't want him there because he's black and the sjw's want him there because he isn't white ? Why does it all boil down to insults - or race ?

I don't care if he's there or not, I can find another act I like when he's on. I don't like grime or rap or hip hop, not because I'm racist but because I just don't like it. I do however love motown, disco and soul, just  before I'm accused of disliking a certain genre of music for political reasons.

This place is pathetic. You're either too old for some or too young for others, everybody has a label and insults are thrown around with no thoughts for anybody's feelings and the only time admin interjects is to claim WW1 is fake news.

I went to download this year and the big difference that struck me between the two festivals is how the people are so much nicer and much more polite at download. If you're sat on the ground they walk around you, not through you with an extra kick on the way. No groups of girls holding hands while barging through your little group of two, thinking it's hilarious. I've seen people deliberately pour beer on somebody's blanket while they were sat at the Other stage (on the outskirts, not by the stage), how did they know that the people sat down weren't disabled ? (they were). It's not just the oldies, last year I saw a young girl (late teens early 20's) in tears, she was sat on the ground and everybody who went past her kicked her in the back so me and hubby stood directly behind her so she had a tiny bit of protection.

Manners and politeness cost nothing and go a long way, just imagine how you would feel if your parents or grandparents were being treated like that.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, brendan84 said:

Stormzy cure and macca headliners.., all pretty underwhelming

Hope for some better on the other stages,  always plenty else to see!

Meh, not as underwhelming as Muse - Adele - Coldplay IMO.

The only Pyramid headliner I've ever really lost my shit over was Radiohead....I was quite excited about the prospect of Metallica but literally no one else in my group of 15 gave two shits, so I ended up at Fatboy. It was ace.

The lesson here being: People have different tastes in music, the three pyramid headliners should be diverse enough to appeal to the widest range of attendees possible, and if you don't like one, two or any of them, it really won't matter because Glastonbury is fucking great :)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

I went to download this year and the big difference that struck me between the two festivals is how the people are so much nicer and much more polite at download. If you're sat on the ground they walk around you, not through you with an extra kick on the way. No groups of girls holding hands while barging through your little group of two, thinking it's hilarious. I've seen people deliberately pour beer on somebody's blanket while they were sat at the Other stage (on the outskirts, not by the stage), how did they know that the people sat down weren't disabled ? (they were). It's not just the oldies, last year I saw a young girl (late teens early 20's) in tears, she was sat on the ground and everybody who went past her kicked her in the back so me and hubby stood directly behind her so she had a tiny bit of protection.

I have never seen any of this sort of nonsense at Glastonbury :( People kick other people???? When they're crying???

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I have never seen any of this sort of nonsense at Glastonbury :( People kick other people???? When they're crying???

It was while  Kaiser Chiefs were on the other stage. She looked exhausted and just had to sit. They weren't doing flying kicks, just had to give a little tap on the way past, to let her know she was in their way. I bet she had a massive bruise the next day though :(

15 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

Has this got anything to do with musical taste ? Or is it simply the gammon squad don't want him there because he's black and the sjw's want him there because he isn't white ? Why does it all boil down to insults - or race ?

Who only wants Stormzy there because he isn't white? Most people either like his music or are happy the festival are giving a younger, newer artist the chance to headline.

I don't care if he's there or not, I can find another act I like when he's on. I don't like grime or rap or hip hop, not because I'm racist but because I just don't like it. I do however love motown, disco and soul, just  before I'm accused of disliking a certain genre of music for political reasons.

Okay that's fine. But saying that Stormzy's music promotes knife crime has certain implications does it not? You are just saying you don't like grime and you will be somewhere else which is great. The arguments were against accusing Stormzy of promoting violence.

This place is pathetic. You're either too old for some or too young for others, everybody has a label and insults are thrown around with no thoughts for anybody's feelings and the only time admin interjects is to claim WW1 is fake news.

Mate you literally start this post calling people gammons and SJWs. Neil never claimed WW1 was fake news either, that's a pretty hefty accusation to throw against him. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, andyhh said:

"This to me is going to be a moment. And he can become the enormous person that he is, do you know what I mean?"

"That's the most exciting stuff for us when you watch a band transition," says Emily. "Sometimes you have other promoters saying why are you putting them on, they're not ready. "But then it just happens and it's like magic. "When someone pulls it off and the crowd are behind them. "When they walk on the stage as a kind of nearly a headliner and they walk off ready to headline any stage in the world."

Sitting on a very wide fence here....who's to say the Friday headliner isn't Tom Walker or Louis Berry?

Both male, solo British artists on the up! 

Meeting the same criteria as Stormzy....and after seeing him at the Other Stage, sadly I'm really not feeling the hype for him.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Mate you literally start this post calling people gammons and SJWs. Neil never claimed WW1 was fake news either, that's a pretty hefty accusation to throw against him. 

I was using terms used in this thread, not my terms, I don't label people like that. People are people full stop. I could have worded the 'fake news sentence better. Most of us had relatives who were the "plebs" fighting in that war, either dying or injured. They didn't want to be there, but they were and they fought and I was lucky enough to know one of them and hear first hand what they believed - and it wasn't that they were there because of a family disagreement.

8 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Who only wants Stormzy there because he isn't white? Most people either like his music or are happy the festival are giving a younger, newer artist the chance to headline.

Might be this thread or the 2019 headliner one, there's posts there complaining about the all white male headliners and more diversity needed. Why should it matter if it's all white, all black or all neon pink ? It should be about the music.

8 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Okay that's fine. But saying that Stormzy's music promotes knife crime has certain implications does it not? You are just saying you don't like grime and you will be somewhere else which is great. The arguments were against accusing Stormzy of promoting violence.

Yes it does have implications, just as most new music has had similar accusations over the years. Devil worshipping headbangers and just look at the start of rock and roll - and what it achieved. Even the waltz was considered scandalous in its day. It's just history repeating itself (in my opinion).

9 minutes ago, twirlygirl said:

Sitting on a very wide fence here....who's to say the Friday headliner isn't Tom Walker or Louis Berry?

Meeting the same criteria as Stormzy....

I've not heard of them, never mind my mum.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, twirlygirl said:

Meeting the same criteria as Stormzy....and after seeing him at the Other Stage, sadly I'm really not feeling the hype for him.

Me love coz I’ve never fucking heard of any of them two lads. Do they were rubbish clothes, wear daft hats and play guitar? How exciting! ?

• Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

The lesson here being: People have different tastes in music, the three pyramid headliners should be diverse enough to appeal to the widest range of attendees possible, and if you don't like one, two or any of them, it really won't matter because Glastonbury is fucking great :)

This.

15 minutes ago, twirlygirl said:

Who? 

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

To be honest, I much preferred this thread during the light-hearted silliness of that (which I found to be more about our parents being somewhat out of touch than insinuating that their lack of awareness was a poor reflection on Stormzy's music). Now it's all got a bit dark and aggressive :( and it seems to be mostly the same arguments as in different years concerning Jay Z etc and their music not "belonging" on the Pyramid.

I don't really know where these "rules" about who belongs on the Pyramid and who doesn't come from. It's a festival of contemporary performing arts for crying out loud...that's pretty fucking broad!

I didn't see Jay-Z as not suitable. Yes I get the little joke of it until it goes on continuously. 

58 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

Manners and politeness cost nothing and go a long way, just imagine how you would feel if your parents or grandparents were being treated like that.

Yeah I don't get vibe, what I do get at Download though if you travel too far back is watch where you stand as a folding armchair is probably in your way among a long stretch of them and atop of the hill is ridiculous!

Might be this thread or the 2019 headliner one, there's posts there complaining about the all white male headliners and more diversity needed. Why should it matter if it's all white, all black or all neon pink ? It should be about the music

This could have been me. I’d like to see more diversity on the Pyramid stage but it certainly shouldn’t be at the detriment to showcasing talent that deserves to be there. There are plenty of non white or non male acts/artists that are good enough to headline. 

26 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

"This to me is going to be a moment. And he can become the enormous person that he is, do you know what I mean?"

"That's the most exciting stuff for us when you watch a band transition," says Emily. "Sometimes you have other promoters saying why are you putting them on, they're not ready. "But then it just happens and it's like magic. "When someone pulls it off and the crowd are behind them. "When they walk on the stage as a kind of nearly a headliner and they walk off ready to headline any stage in the world."

I think Stormzy is a great booking. Emily sums it up perfectly.

I love her last line in that article. Of course the flip side is when they walk on the stage as a kind of nearly a headliner and they walk off not really a headliner. Has Stormzy had enough opportunities to prove himself a safe bet? If not, that almost makes it more exciting - that it could genuinely go wrong, so when it goes right it's transcendent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phoenix Girl said:

This could have been me. I’d like to see more diversity on the Pyramid stage but it certainly shouldn’t be at the detriment to showcasing talent that deserves to be there. There are plenty of non white or non male acts/artists that are good enough to headline. 

I think Stormzy is a great booking. Emily sums it up perfectly.

I like it as I'm mot often away from the Pyramid for a headline show so this almost guarantees I will be but many will love it. I suspect thought opposite will be an older dance act or indeed Wolf Alice who would be a younger rock act as an alternative and fits.