so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

I think he's an inspired booking. Considering how backwards and scary the world is turning we all need an inspirational act. He's got the goods and is gonna smash that stage. 

As I said before. The first act on the Pyramid that I am genuinely excited about and can't wait. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Well I'm not sure if they are the same but isn't it a fact that gangs are taunting each other using the same type of music as that of Stormzy and other rappers.. 

Calling each other out in their songs.. Now don't tell me that they don't cos it's a fact old son.. 

Even back in the day rap was all about guns, drugs and money.... Was it not.. Old Son 

You've posted a couple ill-judged statements there Guy. You can't lay the blame of a social problem at the feet of a musical genre. In fact, if you trace hip-hop back to its roots you'll see that this music can have a positive effect in bringing predominantly gang-related violence to an end. 

Rap, Hip-hop, Grime, Drill (like punk in the 70s and 80s) is an expression of the realities of life for people in certain areas of the world. 

Look beyond the glorification of violence, guns, gang-affiliation, objectification of women and you'll see a music with unity, peace, respect, love and social justice at its core.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I think he's an inspired booking. Considering how backwards and scary the world is turning we all need an inspirational act. He's got the goods and is gonna smash that stage. 

As I said before. The first act on the Pyramid that I am genuinely excited about and can't wait. 

+1

Stormzy, The Cure and McCartney - yes please.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:26 AM, JoeyT said:

I'd be buzzing with Stormzy. 

Likely to be on my own out of the group I go with watching him though. 

As was the case with Jay Z & Kanye.

30 isn't too old to be in the pit at a grime gig is it? 

No.

From a fellow 30yo (to be at the time of gig)

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Breaking that down, it sounds like you're suggesting three things:

1. There's a problem with knife crime at the moment
2. There's been a problem with violence and grime music
3. Therefore, Stormzy shouldn't headline Glastonbury.

I think the first point is definitely valid.

The second point is a little more nuanced than you're suggesting and than the article you linked to implies. I'm no expert in this area, but I think there's some context to violent or threatening lyrics in grime (and in hip hop more widely) that has to be appreciated and rarely is, certainly not by a tabloid newspaper. What sounds aggressive often cannot be taken at face value and has to be understood within the culture and spirit of the music. Which is to say that the overlap to actual violence is complex. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I'm not aware of any evidence of a direct, causal link to music.

As far as the third point goes, you could argue that giving a headline performance to a musical genre with a complex historical overlap with small instances of actual crime, glorifies or promotes violence. While I can see how you might think so, I don't see it as prevalent in grime. Perhaps it used to be when grime was seen as the edgy, underground alternative to garage, but it's far more mainstream now. Other subgenres of hip hop have emerged, such as 'drill', which have a far more troubling relationship with real-life gang violence. In the future, still others will replace that one.

Even if we concede that a face-value impression of violence is given a platform at Glastonbury even if that reasoning is flawed, and that this impression of violence could encourage violent tendencies in others, I still see a problem in your logic, and that is: there are far bigger root causes to gang violence than the music associated with it. The disenfranchisement and under-investment in inner-city youth, resulting in chronically low aspirations and a top-down sense of segregation from wider society, is a worthier subject for your pulpit.

Perhaps the image of a young black male, once affected by the violence you allude to, standing on the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury, at the pinnacle of his career, might just inspire some of the small minority of young people troubled by all this, to see that change is possible. That it is - in fact - possible to believe in yourself and chase your dreams.

I say Stormzy headlining is to be celebrated, and if it is a platform, I hope it's seen by as many of the people you're worried about as possible, highlighting a shining example of what can be achieved.

What a fantastic, well-written post. Best thing I've read on this site for a long time. Thanks, @kalifire

I really thought Glastonbury died when they put Ed Sheeran up there, but then at least Ed Sheeran was a successful artist with a somewhat unique style. Just a bit too pop and v festival for my Glastonbury barometer.

But Stormzy? We're having a bloody laugh right? The guy got famous because he had a YouTube video of him and his mates in a park that went viral, to which he then rushed out an album on the back of to maintain his fame. Whilst his PR team simultaneously orchestrated public events - ring walking Anthony Joshua, smoking spliffs on twitter.

His music isn't significant, it went viral temporarily thats it. He's not even a legend in the grime scene - he has one album. Why not Dizzee? Why not BBK? Why not Akala? All those artists have a claim to headline to Pyramid stage if you want to be all zeitgeist and give it to grime for the sake of it.

Glastonbury is dead if this happens. Not too much of a shame I guess, considering Emily has been slowly killing it since they gave her more control than the Park. Plus nowadays it's full of TOWIE losers who only heard about it in 2015 and the site is twice as packed as it used to be.

Where are the Glastonbury OG's going for a good time these days?

Also these faux moralising / white gaze guilt suggestions that are creeping into the conversation re Stormzy's race / background justifying him headlining. Please, take your SJW assertions back to twitter.

Edited by jakkc
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

4 minutes ago, jakkc said:

I really thought Glastonbury died when they put Ed Sheeran up there, but then at least Ed Sheeran was a successful artist with a somewhat unique style. Just a bit too pop and v festival for my Glastonbury barometer.

But Stormzy? We're having a bloody laugh right? The guy got famous because he had a YouTube video of him and his mates in a park that went viral, to which he then rushed out an album on the back of to maintain his fame. Whilst his PR team simultaneously orchestrated public events - ring walking Anthony Joshua, smoking spliffs on twitter.

His music isn't significant, it went viral temporarily thats it. He's not even a legend in the grime scene - he has one album. Why not Dizzee? Why not BBK? Why not Akala? All those artists have a claim to headline to Pyramid stage if you want to be all zeitgeist and give it to grime for the sake of it.

Glastonbury is dead if this happens. Not too much of a shame I guess, considering Emily has been slowly killing it since they gave her more control than the Park. Plus nowadays it's full of TOWIE losers who only heard about it in 2015 and the site is twice as packed as it used to be.

Times change. If you're not willing to roll with the times then it's your loss, not the festivals.

• Upvote 3

Some odd reactions to Stormzy, and maybe fallow year fever or just a lack of other Glasto news is making people obsess more on the snippets of info we have?

I don't know much of Stormzys music but expect he will put on a great show so may wander by the Pyramid sometime Friday eve and check it out for a bit then see what else is on.  I'm a huge fan of The Cure so will be there for that but it will just be the guys on stage playing the tunes I love with little spectacle I expect - works for me but I can see why those that aren't Cure fans won't be much taken with it but they can find something else they will enjoy.  I'm sure there will be a big crowd for The Cure & Stormzy whatever.  Macca I almost feel like I should see as he is a legend but if there is something I prefer somewhere else I will be there instead.

I have only been to one Glasto before and even I know that watching all three headliners on the Pyramid means missing out on lots of other amazing stuff so no need to worry about headliners really.  If there is one Pyramid headliner you want to see thats a decent result!  Foos only for me last year (watched a bit of Radiohead tbf but the wandered up The Park to see The Flaming Lips which was a highlight of the weekend). 

25 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You've posted a couple ill-judged statements there Guy. You can't lay the blame of a social problem at the feet of a musical genre. In fact, if you trace hip-hop back to its roots you'll see that this music can have a positive effect in bringing predominantly gang-related violence to an end. 

Rap, Hip-hop, Grime, Drill (like punk in the 70s and 80s) is an expression of the realities of life for people in certain areas of the world. 

Look beyond the glorification of violence, guns, gang-affiliation, objectification of women and you'll see a music with unity, peace, respect, love and social justice at its core.

Maybe old son but that's the good thing about a discussion init... I agree with that last statement nearly all music does aim to bring us together and give us happiness.. 

Unfortunately there is at this moment in time a movement of music that is not aim at doing this.. 

Anyway it's my time to remember some people who died in war.. So I'll catch you all later.. As Stormzy would say 

Shut up lol

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, jakkc said:

Also these faux moralising / white gaze guilt suggestions that are creeping into the conversation re Stormzy's race / background justifying him headlining. Please, take your SJW assertions back to twitter.

Watch his Brits performance and tell me his music isn't significant. Think you really mean 'at least Ed Sheeran was white' don't you.

You are Neil Lonsdale and I collect my £10.

Edited by kingbadger
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's not what happened, Stormzy was building hype from singles before Shut Up, Know Me From was pretty big and he collaborated with a bunch of different artists.

He built success from Shut Up but then had another massive hit with Big For Your Boots which was everywhere for a while. Stormzy got a big crowd last year, he has a bunch of well known songs and receives a lot of credit in the media for speaking openly about his mental health issues.  I love Akala but could the average person even name one song of his?

Also I wouldn't say Gang Signs & Prayer was rushed out, it came out almost two years after the release of Shut Up.

1. His record came out almost two years after Shut Up. Not sure how that's rushing out an album.

2. The music is arguably more socially and culturally significant than anything we've had in recent years.

3. Why do I keep seeing "If Glastonbury want grime, why not Skepta?"... It's not a fucking bingo game of genres. There's more to it than that and if you did a bit of research into the artist rather than just spouting your uninformed opinion at people you might realise that.

4. Not even gonna bother with the "TOWIE losers" comment. Imagine walking round with that chip on your shoulder.

5. If you don't like it, don't go.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

sorry, but that's fake news. 

WW1 was a family dispute, that the family made the plebs fight for them.

There was no threat to personal freedoms in the context of the time, and it's propaganda to pretend that there was.

Yep, they got used 100 years ago and are still getting used today

25 minutes ago, jakkc said:

Who else would you propose then?

27 minutes ago, jakkc said:

genuinely the funniest thing I've read on here all week, and this has been a really funny week.

4 hours ago, Retro P said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/stormzy-confirmed-glastonbury-2019-headliner-2400895

Bit sad how they were quoting this story directly from here but failed to mention the “does your mum know Stormzy?” game. 

Bit sad how we're still running, does your mum know who Stormzy is?, doesn't really matter when the majority crowd he's getting booked for is half their age.

2 hours ago, Waapster said:

Arguing against Stormzy because this kind of music encourages knife crime is, in my view, how casual racism works. I'm not saying anybody here is racist but don't be lazy and associate a young black rapper with street violence without at least a little research.

Amongst other things Stormzy sings/raps about his religion and his mum. The song Don't Cry For Me is literally anti-knife crime. "Tryna tell my young Gs to relax and invest in life/They invest in knives/Man I was in history class when my bredrin died/So vexed that I cried". He called May out over Grenfell. He is using his own money to support talented black people through a Cambridge education. Here in south London we could do with a few more role models like this.

I'm tired of the outcry every time Glastonbury books a black man to headline. Stormzy is of the moment. People who don't like him can go to 100 other places. But they might listen for a little to see what the fuss is about. 

Credit for what he is and what he stands for, we have had a previous black headliner who thinks it's all about him and this will be a more successful headline set....that much is 100% guaranteed.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

All this talk of 2020 taking 2019 headliners away is bollocks. There's still only 3 Pyramid headline slots in 2020, and I can assure you that no act is going to take a 2020 Pyramid sub/Other headline slot over a 2019 Pyramid headline slot.

Granted in 2020 you might have a few acts synonymous with the festival (Elbow, Coldplay etc) appear in TBA or 'Special Guest' slots or a band like Led Zepellin reform just to headline. But those kind of acts were never in the running for headlining in 2019.

Not exactly what I'm saying, I'm saying if an act is headline sized then I can see them declining this year in the hope for next year and at least one big act this year being a case of we got the best we could in that situation. I don't think it's above and beyond though for an act thought to be able to headline to play as a special guest to a mammoth act next year.

29 minutes ago, jakkc said:

Does it matter where he got famous?, he's clearly got talent and some idiot with nothing doesn't do what he has done?, I've personally fed up of all the slating for reason why people get where they do?, it's a tough world out there to get your break and it's not racist or exaggerating to say being a black man it may be harder...not me being racist...the point of that happening may be deemed to be. It doesn't matter the intention of just messing about in a park, if no one though there was anything to it, it would just be dismissed. I wish I could just make a video and find luck like that, you make your own luck in this world now.

18 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Watch his Brits performance and tell me his music isn't significant. Think you really mean 'at least Ed Sheeran was white' don't you.

You are Neil Lonsdale and I collect my £10.

Let's cut this your are so and so and I collect my £10 shite. It's boring, childish and bollocks!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, jakkc said:

If you consider yourself Glastonbury OG, and don't like Stormzy.....

Other

John Peel

West Holts

Park

Leftfield

SE Corner

Avalon

Blues

Silver Hayes

Arcadia

Williams Green

Healing Fields

Toad Hall (love it here)

Glade

..... sure you get the point.

Anyone else having autocorrect problems with Stormzy always being amended to Stormy so that you look like an old buffoon?

27 minutes ago, jakkc said:

killing it?  im not so sure that's the case with the mad scrambles on ticket day ? maybe the word is changing it ? and yes of course with any new leader of anything things change .. maybe not for the better in our eyes ... but she has in my eyes created a great area in the park .... I won't be seeing stormzy but I give the festival credit for trying something new and hopefully sustainable ( in terms of his age ) ... I will still be enjoying myself in some random area of the festival and stormzy will have no influence on this whatsoever ...