so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

Just now, Havors said:

I still think it's a waste of a headline slot personally and I don't mind him at all.

I love hearing other people's thoughts and different opinions etc but it really does baffle me how someone arrives at the idea of "a waste of a headline slot". They're not gonna put an empty chair onstage for two hours... How is it a waste? Surely it's just that you'd prefer someone else?

10 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Bugzy is proper grime! That was with Rag'n'Bone Man wasn't it?! Not quite the same as some of his other stuff haha, see below... Glad you enjoyed it though.

Yeah there was the one he did with Raggers, and also the one he described as having "hispanic guitar" - I enjoyed both.

I don't like that video as much. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't go see him if I knew the majority of his set was more in that style than the more melodic style he had on Jools.

53 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I can't help thinking there needs to be a thread where everyone screenshots a chat with their Mum asking if she knows who Stormzy is....

Not only does my Mam know who Stormzy is, she knew who Dave was before I did. Frightening stuff from a 64 year old. 

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I love hearing other people's thoughts and different opinions etc but it really does baffle me how someone arrives at the idea of "a waste of a headline slot". They're not gonna put an empty chair onstage for two hours... How is it a waste? Surely it's just that you'd prefer someone else?

Correct I would... why would you think it meant anything else? :)  It is a waste because I would rather see a ton of other acts before him... quite a simple premise really haha there are no facts when it comes to who should and shouldnt headline... its all subjective. 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

Correct I would... why would you think it meant anything else? :)  It is a waste because I would rather see a ton of other acts before him... quite a simple premise really haha there are no facts when it comes to who should and shouldnt headline... its all subjective. 

I guess it's how I understand the expression but as you said, there certainly are no facts. That's fair enough. There are plenty of acts that I don't want to see but I don't think it's a waste of a spot just because of that. After all, there are plenty of alternatives. 

Edited by jyoung

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

So here's a question, purely theoretical of course.

It seems to be generally agreed that Stormzy headlining, while a bit of a gamble, would be a good step for the festival to take.  Also a fair few of us saying that, at the same time, it's not really our thing. And also wondering about the size of the crowd.

Would you take the hit on one night at the festival to watch an act you're not massively fond of, but on the principle that such things should be supported by having a decent crowd to maybe encourage the fest to take similar chances on headliners in future?

Full disclosure - I don't know.  Unless t's up against one of my must sees, I'd like to think I would.

absolutely not.

there's normally at least 4 acts clashing I want to see come headliner time. I'm sure as shit not going to see something I don't particularly care for when I could be watching some that I do like.

there's lots of people on here though who regularly go "check out" Pyramid headliners that they don't particularly like (and whinge about them being shit afterwards), so I'm sure Stormzy will be fine with the crowd size.

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

I guess it's how I understand the expression but as you said, there certainly are no facts. That's fair enough. There are plenty of acts that I don't want to see but I don't think it's a waste of a spot just because of that. After all, there are plenty of alternatives. 

I think its a waste because I could list about 20 acts with more material who deserve a chance just as much as he does. Thats where my thinking comes from. 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

I think its a waste because I could list about 20 acts with more material who deserve a chance just as much as he does. Thats where my thinking comes from. 

so just as much, not "more". so basically the only justification is that they've released more material?

please list the 20.

(For what it's worth, I don't think Stormzy should be, or will be headlining)

Edited by ghostdancer1

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Gotcha! I'm intrigued by your 20 now haha.

3 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Anddd go!

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

so just as much, not "more". so basically the only justification is that they've released more material?

please list the 20.

(For what it's worth, I don't think Stormzy should be, or will be headlining)

hahaha if i list 20 acts I would prefer or think deserve just as much... this thread is going to explode even more than it has with people shouting at me and arguing and generally talking shit haha 

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

hahaha if i list 20 acts I would prefer or think deserve just as much... this thread is going to explode even more than it has with people shouting at me and arguing and generally talking shit haha 

Unaware of your history, I just want to genuinely see a list of 20 potential headliners. It's definitely so I can talk shit though.

I'm in my 30s and from the North. I've heard of Stormzy but would struggle to explain or recognise exactly what grime is. From the little I've heard of him he's not my cup of tea at all and from a personal point of view I wouldn't of believed he would be a big enough act with enough of a profile to headline the Pyramid. I certainly won't be there if he plays.

That said if he does get the chance to headline the Pyramid good luck to the bloke and I hope he puts on a great show for the people who choose to be there, as it will be a big moment for British grime/hip hop.

5 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Unaware of your history, I just want to genuinely see a list of 20 potential headliners. It's definitely so I can talk shit though.

haha my 20 would be another persons 20 worst.... but they would be 20 I think should headline before Stormzy haha 

To answer @Quark yes I totally would give him a go even though I'm not familiar with a lot of it - we use Glastonbury to discover new music AND go and see stuff we already know backwards. It wouldn't be a straight no from me like say, Muse or AM. Plus I'm always on the look out for proper Glastonbury moments because that's where the uplifting joy/challenge is. Or some such.

13 minutes ago, Havors said:

This thread will survive. So please list the 20 to back up your argument if you would be so kind. Thank you.