so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

Bob hasn't heard much of Stormzy but has just found out that he might be headlining Bob's favourite festival. Bob "isn't sure about grime" but goes to YouTube and listens to one or two of Stormzy's songs before making the informed decision that whilst it might not be his cup of tea, he's intrigued. Bob listens to Skepta, Wiley and more, to make sure that he knows what he's talking about before he offers his thoughts on grime. Be more like Bob.

Shout-out to the Bob's on here.

Edited by jyoung
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Fucking hell, your dad is like the farmer version of my dad.

I actually thought he'd he impressed by Macca playing but he said "He's past it now he won't he very good". Alright dad go back to your Meatloaf tours son.

Edit: Unsurprising as I am the farmer version of you.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

12 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Incredibly underwhelming. Tiiiiny bit gutted taking my bro and best mate who've never been before, was hoping for a monster act or two to introduce them to the Pyramid. Oh well. Plenty more to do!

Aaaah don't be gutted. Who ever  said Glastonbury was just about the pyramid :)

12 hours ago, jyoung said:

As I posted on here last month... 

People talk about relevence a lot on here and I think he'll be (probably) one of the most relevant headliners in recent times. A young black man from London, pushing boundaries in the music industry. He's engaged a generation of people, won over almost everyone who's watched him and he's someone with values that a lot of people can relate to and believe in. He's got a powerful voice and he's definitely using it. IMO, you won't see many new headliners take that opportunity in the same way I think he would. He's hungry for it.

Tbh, I don't really know his music so much and I saw Skept briefly a few years back and lasted about ten minutes before I bailed...buuuuut I think Stormzy is absolutely lovely, clearly massively relevant, and after the Grenfell rap at the brits I'm all for it (But maybe a little bit worried about him not getting a big enough crowd). I reckon I would go along with one of my friends who I know will be up for it to check it out unless there is some sort of Prodigy/Chase&Status clash....

So, also Northern and not with it, perhaps this is the perfect opportunity to learn. What is the difference between rap, hip hop, grime and drill (and any other derivatives I've not thought of)?

I like some stuff but also dislike a lot. In the past I've been guilty of swerving a lot of this kind of music, but I think that's mainly down to the shouty rappers. I was going to write a list of things I liked to see if that would help illuminate what I liked, but I can't think of many examples. No surprises there: whenever I get to a jukebox I can never think of a single band I like! ?

Thinking about it, I think I like rapping as part of other genres that I like, such as dub/reggae/afrobeat etc. Please note, 90% of the time I name a genre I'm guessing...

I saw Bugsy Malone on Jools the other day. I don't know where he sits. I liked it, I think because it was quite melodic.

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Stormzy then? Grime’s not for me, but it’s  not a booking I’m going to complain about either.

I’m sure there be something on elsewhere for me.

My thoughts exactly.

He seems like a good guy so good on him.

Wish they'd take a punt on Wolf Alice headlining too. 

15 hours ago, eFestivals said:

from a music biz newsheet I subscribe to....

NO NO NO NO NO!!! Please no!! 1 ok album? straight to a headline slot??? It best be on West Holts... shocking behaviour. The Cure can do one as well haha! I want Arctic Monkeys!!

Stormzy, The Cure & Macca is a pretty shoddy headliners for my tastes. Macca is great the other two nah...  

9 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

My thoughts exactly.

He seems like a good guy so good on him.

Wish they'd take a punt on Wolf Alice headlining too. 

Yeah I like the kid, and i dont mind a couple of his songs... but headling... the pyramid.... after 1 album? really??? Surely he should be headlining West Holts first? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Havors said:

NO NO NO NO NO!!! Please no!! 1 ok album? straight to a headline slot??? It best be on West Holts... shocking behaviour. The Cure can do one as well haha! I want Arctic Monkeys!!

Stormzy, The Cure & Macca is a pretty shoddy headliners for my tastes. Macca is great the other two nah...  

Hello Mr Lonsdale.

• Like 1

Surely I can't be the only one who isn't bothered if my mum hasn't heard of a particular act etc?

How have we ended up at judging if a headliner is "big" or "popular" enough to headline by that barometer?!!

I'd say of the age demographic who go to the festival although of course varied the largest % will be of people who at least know who Stormzy is.

Which as far as i'm concerned is case closed.

So here's a question, purely theoretical of course.

It seems to be generally agreed that Stormzy headlining, while a bit of a gamble, would be a good step for the festival to take.  Also a fair few of us saying that, at the same time, it's not really our thing. And also wondering about the size of the crowd.

Would you take the hit on one night at the festival to watch an act you're not massively fond of, but on the principle that such things should be supported by having a decent crowd to maybe encourage the fest to take similar chances on headliners in future?

Full disclosure - I don't know.  Unless t's up against one of my must sees, I'd like to think I would.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

So here's a question, purely theoretical of course.

It seems to be generally agreed that Stormzy headlining, while a bit of a gamble, would be a good step for the festival to take.  Also a fair few of us saying that, at the same time, it's not really our thing. And also wondering about the size of the crowd.

Would you take the hit on one night at the festival to watch an act you're not massively fond of, but on the principle that such things should be supported by having a decent crowd to maybe encourage the fest to take similar chances on headliners in future?

Full disclosure - I don't know.  Unless t's up against one of my must sees, I'd like to think I would.

Good step how?? Out of interest... I think its a terrible step personally.