To help newbies : What's your past experiences of Glasto weather and ground conditions

Lycra

On 11/13/2018 at 10:40 AM, RichardWaller said:

Been 7 times and each one's been different, wouldn't change my first time though. 2002, first year of the superfence, just turned 19, my third festival but first Glastonbury, not a single drop of rain. Weather wise, I've had more good luck than bad luck. Read a few posts dotted around this place talking about 2014 being quite muddy, but don't remember it being that bad meself. 2016 was the muddiest Glastonbury I've been to by a long way, but I'm hesitant to put it in my top three muddiest festivals. 

Fuck it, it's gonna be great whatever happens. 

How can 2016 not have been in your top three muddiest festivals, Richard?!

One of my most vivid memories of that year (after walking the last 8 miles after jumping off the stationary coach, which arrived around 5 hours after me...!) is 'walking' all the way down the west side of the site from PGA to Paines, and seeing nothing but fields that were already just a sea of mud. This was lunchtime Wednesday! I must have passed 15-20 abandoned trolleys! And 75% of the festival hadn't even pitched their tents by then!

Christ alone knows what horrors you have also experienced, if that didn't make your top of the pops!!!

:)

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

11 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

How can 2016 not have been in your top three muddiest festivals, Richard?!

One of my most vivid memories of that year (after walking the last 8 miles after jumping off the stationary coach, which arrived around 5 hours after me...!) is 'walking' all the way down the west side of the site from PGA to Paines, and seeing nothing but fields that were already just a sea of mud. This was lunchtime Wednesday! I must have passed 15-20 abandoned trolleys! And 75% of the festival hadn't even pitched their tents by then!

Christ alone knows what horrors you have also experienced, if that didn't make your top of the pops!!!

:)

Ben

What felt like the worst ones I’ve been to were Isle of Wight 2011, Festival No6 2013 and V Staffs 2007, possibly in that order... or maybe I’m remembering them worse than they were...   maybe it’s the rose tinted glasses I wear at Glastonbury.

the wet ones really get me down, i struggle to relax cause i have bad ankles so my advice would be, to wear walking boots over wellies and keep to the old train track to walk between areas as that seems slightly less muddy, also take bin liners to sit on, an umbrella is really handy in the long drops too as you can prop it over either side of the stall and do your business without getting to wet.

on the hot ones take some form of hat, there is very little shelter at glasto (one thing i think they need to improve regardless of the weather) and heat stroke can set in really quick! make use of the free water refill stations

rule one when its sunny is, enjoy it while it lasts!!!!, glasto weather is temperamental as hell and you can have 4 season in one day very easily.