To help newbies : What's your past experiences of Glasto weather and ground conditions

Lycra

42 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yeah OK, you do paint a pretty bleak picture, particularly two nights in a car unplanned.

T'internet hasn't shed much light for me on what a bender house is.   (fnarr fnarr)

A bender is a sort of semi-permanent DIY shelter constructed of hazel/willow branches and tarpaulins. 

Much beloved of hippies/travellers, they take a fair bit of skill and craft to build and can be quite lovely/cosy inside. 

The worst moment of 2016 was when we got diverted to B&W and could see the bright lights of the festival in the distance, knowing our mates were so near yet so far. 

When we finally got on site the next day they were practically broken and instead of gett on with the festival vibe, I busied myself making them tea and bacon sandwiches to revive them. 

43 minutes ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

When we finally got on site the next day they were practically broken and instead of gett on with the festival vibe, I busied myself making them tea and bacon sandwiches to revive them. 

See, that's the spirit, pack up your troubles etc ?

Obviously some areas were worse than others in 2007. As you faced The Pyramid stage the strip on the right by the hedge all the way down to the workers bar and toilets, below Hawkwell and Michaels Mead, was particularly bad. The mud was over 10 inches deep and I saw many a leg disappear up to the knee in the quagmire......And yes I look at it with glowing memories.

Two of our party left on the Saturday morning. They couldn't take any more! 

Edited by Lycra

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I always wonder if people actually sleep in those tents .... i would be moving to higher / drier land near the fence if I was them 

Me too....always assumed they were inundated whilst to owners were absent..or unconscious inside.

My advice to newbies is....take stock of the weather forecast and don't camp on the nice flat parts, especially if there's a walkway, road or toilet near by?

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I always wonder if people actually sleep in those tents .... i would be moving to higher / drier land near the fence if I was them 

In 1998 I camped in Dragon Field on the hill. The tent next to me was pitched at such an angle that the mud flowing down the hill enveloped it over the course of the festival. So you're not always safe on a slope either!

I think for me the hardest part about the wet years is accepting we won’t get to see everyone we want to - for example, last year on the Friday we were able to watch Royal Blood on the Pyramid, dash up to the park in time for Elbow’s secret set and then dash back to the Pyramid for Radiohead. If it had been wet last year we’d never have been able to do that just because the mud slows you down so much! 

Other than that I am a firm believer that there’s not bad weather, just bad clothing. As long as you’ve got appropriate footwear (I wear a pair of Dr Martens wellies which combine the comfort of walking boots with the waterproofness of wellies and they are just wonderful ?) a good raincoat and SPF 30 then you’ll be ok! 

My biggest tips are - a tent with a porch area is a MUST for wet weather as it gives you somewhere to sit down and get all your wet and muddy gear off without getting it on your bed. And when it’s wet if you get a chance to sit down on a bench for 5 minutes - take it! Your legs will thank you!

2016 memory. We were stood around having a breather to let my aged legs recover when a guy started walking toward a group across from us, obviously a fairly new arrival. One of the group shouted his name excitedly she waded across to him and jumped into his arms.

His feet went out from underneath and he went down flat on his back in many inches of chocolate custard mud with her weight pressing him down.

I think his reaction can be summarised as not best pleased.

The 2016 mud was a bitch. Thick and gloopy. Best advise for that is to get drunk and don’t fear it. I had so many near falls when I was trying to take my time and go slow. Cut to evening and I was drunk, marching along confidently and I was fine!

The worst part about the mud though is lack of spaces to have a sit down. Damp ground and you can at least sit on a bag or waterproof jacket. Thick mud and you have no chance, just have to stand...all day.

Hot, sunny weather is obviously the better option but putting up the tent in 2017 after queuing for hours was a chore. The inside becomes an over very quickly!

On 11/7/2018 at 9:29 PM, Gnomicide said:

2011 had it all over the weekend, muddy on Wednesday, progressively worse until Saturday morning from which point it started getting better until it was almost totally dry and scorchio by Sunday afternoon.  

Wednesday

P1000458.thumb.JPG.377700c3fc59216a115546f7d4730cb8.JPG

Thursday 

P1000510.thumb.JPG.026e0d9414022a386c4d5954ab9a6704.JPG

Friday

P1000650.thumb.JPG.d15b53a960ad234ffbc0c7e50166923a.JPG

Saturday 

P1000706.thumb.JPG.e63b4a179310fe9a9714a78c2a56da28.JPG

Sunday

P1000858.thumb.JPG.e76d736250c3910f03d1ea990c0a1f48.JPG

I don't get how your white trousers still look so emaculate by the Sunday- when I'm walking in that, the mud splatters sometimes as high up as my face! What is the secret of your success?! 

14 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I don't get how your white trousers still look so emaculate by the Sunday- when I'm walking in that, the mud splatters sometimes as high up as my face! What is the secret of your success?! 

Lots of pairs of white trousers. He’s got a wardrobe full of ‘em. 

8 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

The 2016 mud was a bitch. Thick and gloopy. Best advise for that is to get drunk and don’t fear it. I had so many near falls when I was trying to take my time and go slow. Cut to evening and I was drunk, marching along confidently and I was fine!

The worst part about the mud though is lack of spaces to have a sit down. Damp ground and you can at least sit on a bag or waterproof jacket. Thick mud and you have no chance, just have to stand...all day.

Hot, sunny weather is obviously the better option but putting up the tent in 2017 after queuing for hours was a chore. The inside becomes an over very quickly!

Exactly this,the more you you tip toe around the more your going down,don't over think and stomp on. I don't know why this is but seems to work,just don't be a c#nt and barge though,saw a girl go flying a few years ago when some a-hole barged her by the bridge

Been 7 times and each one's been different, wouldn't change my first time though. 2002, first year of the superfence, just turned 19, my third festival but first Glastonbury, not a single drop of rain. Weather wise, I've had more good luck than bad luck. Read a few posts dotted around this place talking about 2014 being quite muddy, but don't remember it being that bad meself. 2016 was the muddiest Glastonbury I've been to by a long way, but I'm hesitant to put it in my top three muddiest festivals. 

Fuck it, it's gonna be great whatever happens. 

On 11/9/2018 at 2:14 PM, Trout Mask Replica said:

The mud in 2016 was only part of the issue and why we packed up on the Sunday morning and left. 

The traffic queues on the Weds which resulted in us being diverted to B&W showground, then hauled up again on Thurs meant our entire group was worn out. Both myself and the other lad driving rented motorhome were frazzled. Our mates who'd driven down on Tues and were expecting us to turn up with their gear had to spend two nights kipping in their cars. 

The tiredness actually caught up with me on the Thurs and I had a cider/spliff induced faint in the mud. It was all a struggle and never really felt like the party got started, despite our best efforts. 

I think we all knew we couldn't manage it again on the Sunday so went at it hard on the Sat. 

In 2017 I felt like I'd earned that great year, just me and a pal and our tents. 2016 had seen off the weakest of the group. Bloody perfect. 

Did you drive down from the North East too? There was I moaning about the 15 hour journey on the coach! I totally understand why you weren't feeling it.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:35 AM, Curlygirl said:

Did you drive down from the North East too? There was I moaning about the 15 hour journey on the coach! I totally understand why you weren't feeling it.

Aye, a motorhome full of us Newcastle folk sat in that traffic queue all day... 

Small mercies though, we had a toilet and a fridge full of food n drink. Even made sandwiches and walked down the traffic queue to give then to our mates in cars...