To help newbies : What's your past experiences of Glasto weather and ground conditions

Lycra

4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

The Park presented an almost unique mud-challenge in 2016. Under the arch at the bottom and you were into Mr Sticky’s Sticky Glue Fun Park. Successfully navigate that and you then faced the 30 degree Uphill Super Slide™️, on which you took, to paraphrase Paula Abdul, one slip forwards and two slops back!

Ben

But nothing better than stopping ** for a quick pitstop near to the sticky glue and watching the lost wellies, and the super stuck punters with the variety of approaches to extract themselves from the aforementioned mud without falling over, losing a wellie or taking out everyone around them

** yes stopping Ben, thats when one puts away ones super s/sheet and tears up the schedule  xx

Edited by Funkyfairy!
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

But nothing better than stopping ** for a quick pitstop near to the sticky glue and watching the lost wellies, and the super stuck punters with the variety of approaches to extract themselves from the aforementioned mud without falling over, losing a wellie or taking out everyone around them

** yes stopping Ben, thats when one puts away ones super s/sheet and tears up the schedule  xx

Sorry, no, I’m not quite sure what you mean.

Ben x

2 hours ago, Titters said:

If the mud does show up, some parts of the site really struggle. 

Silver Hayes and The Park are probably the worst? Bella's Bridge is a slippy obstacle to negotiate and, for whatever reason, inside of the Avalon Inn and part of the John Peel tent become sticky, swampy messes. 

Aye, Park becomes a mission to negotiate. Getting up to the Crows Nest from the bottom of Park feels like you've achieved something on a par with climbing Everest.

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Aye, Park becomes a mission to negotiate. Getting up to the Crows Nest from the bottom of Park feels like you've achieved something on a par with climbing Everest.

For anyone wondering, yes @Keithy has climbed Everest, and so is perfectly placed to make this comparison**.

Ben

**he hasn’t of course, the silly tit.

I largely avoided the SE corner when it was bad in 2016. The combination of the mud, the dark and the crowds made it pretty treacherous in places.

Totally worth slogging up to the Park for St Etienne mind

Edited by Quark

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I can’t believe people are saying that the 2016 mud wasn’t too bad! It was the WORST mud, because it never got sloppy enough not to be like glue!

I’m not in anyway trying to claim it as the ‘worst’ Glastonbury weather...I know the legend of 2007 ( @Titters “you weren’t there, man, you don’t know what it was like”...). But purely in terms of how hard it was to move across the ground, 2016 mud was SHITE!!!!!

Like an idiot, I refused to compromise my schedule. At one point I considered NOT completing the final leg of my Park-Williams Green-Park consecutive sets, but ended up doing it. So, I barely reduced a dry weather mileage etc. Doing that, the mud WAS fucking bad! So, so tiring. 

Anyone who says that they almost feel a dry Glastonbury is too easy, is a mental! If you’ve done a properly wet/muddy one, you’ve earned your stripes and need feel nothing but unalloyed joy if every moment of every other one you ever have is dry and wonderful!

:)

Ben

I remember practically falling asleep standing up when I was up at the Park (Richard Hawley perhaps?) I was just so tired from slogging through the mud.  And the Bimble Inn was practically empty because no one could be bothered to traipse up there.  I did compromise my walking after that and saw some great acts but bloody hell it was hard work.

It really wasn’t as difficult as some are making out. It was 6 inches of mud. Yes the legs were a bit sore come Sunday, yes it was sticky (very sticky) in some places. But it was still just mud. The only times I  felt really, properly inconvenienced by it was when you felt like a seat. I’m sure I saw someone in another thread say most of their group had went home by Sunday morning because of it, which is frankly ridiculous. 

52 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

It really wasn’t as difficult as some are making out. It was 6 inches of mud. Yes the legs were a bit sore come Sunday, yes it was sticky (very sticky) in some places. But it was still just mud. The only times I  felt really, properly inconvenienced by it was when you felt like a seat. I’m sure I saw someone in another thread say most of their group had went home by Sunday morning because of it, which is frankly ridiculous. 

Oh I agree, it was a bit difficult but at no time did I even think about going home.  Just had a couple of moments of being a bit low.  Nothing more than that. 

9 hours ago, slash's hat said:

I went home Sunday afternoon. 

I've only ever chipped off due to weather in 2007, where by the Sunday I'd already been to the whole site, had seen a ton of great stuff but didn't really have sufficient beans to keep me going through another day.

By comparison in 2016 I was going back to a dry caravan each night, so other than one or two of those moments of having both wellies stuck in the mud everything was OK.  Thankfully people always seem to see the panic in your face and help you out, bless them :) 

On the Monday in 2016 I prepared for a scary drive down a muddy hill on the way out of CV East but it was pretty easy.

2016 was the absolute pits on the muddy scale. I started going in 05 so i'd say i'm qualified to make such a statement.

Talking of mud, i've never comprehend those who go around diving in it at festivals. 

It might just be me but that's my idea of hell especially once the "fun" is over.

16 hours ago, mashedonmud said:

Tip Toes, That's the secret to keep moving in the sticky stuff. Keep moving forward on those Tip toes. All this talk of wellies versus walking boots,  ballerina footwear is best. ?

My calves are still huge from all the resistance training that weekend. I dont think theyll ever go back to normal size. 

14 hours ago, Quark said:

I largely avoided the SE corner when it was bad in 2016. The combination of the mud, the dark and the crowds made it pretty treacherous in places.

Aye, my ex had walking boots on and totally KO'd on the Friday night - and it wasn't even that bad at that point! Some sprightly man came bombing it across the mud to help him up, not sure how he managed that....and then we both sort of forgot about it until in the morning when he woke up and his knee had swollen up like no-ones business. 

This story mostly just illustrates the power of (and the risks associated with) disco biscuits

14 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

It was about as bad as mud can get at Glastonbury. It had a significant impact on the amount of stuff you could realistically see and do, and on your physical state. I never thought of going home, in 2016 or 2007, but I can understand how people do due to exhaustion. Perhaps they are somewhat older, or have existing physical problems, or had small children with them? Without knowing the circumstances it's difficult to say it's necessarily 'ridiculous'.

20 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Oh Bellas bridge in the mud - how I had forgotten about the fun of trying to get over that bridge late at night after the fun and in full mud !  it loses its steps and it just a mud wall up and ski slope down

And the entrance to the park - yes yes another bogfest - oh the memories ?

I seem to remember in 2011 Bella's Bridge did not have any steps, it was just a slope up and down. It was almost impossible to cross, with so many falling. At some point during the weekend (Saturday?) loads of rubble were tipped to reduce the steepness and provide some sort of foothold. Since 2013 it has had the present long steps which works most of the time.

The mud in 2016 was only part of the issue and why we packed up on the Sunday morning and left. 

The traffic queues on the Weds which resulted in us being diverted to B&W showground, then hauled up again on Thurs meant our entire group was worn out. Both myself and the other lad driving rented motorhome were frazzled. Our mates who'd driven down on Tues and were expecting us to turn up with their gear had to spend two nights kipping in their cars. 

The tiredness actually caught up with me on the Thurs and I had a cider/spliff induced faint in the mud. It was all a struggle and never really felt like the party got started, despite our best efforts. 

I think we all knew we couldn't manage it again on the Sunday so went at it hard on the Sat. 

In 2017 I felt like I'd earned that great year, just me and a pal and our tents. 2016 had seen off the weakest of the group. Bloody perfect. 

Also the areas near T&C and Avalon, especially the crew areas, we're worst hit as that is where the little stream which runs through burst it's banks and flood the whole area by several feet. 

My mate on the crew there lost his entire self built bender house, the worst mud I saw on site was in T&C backstage. 

So bad in fact that at one point they had a JCB in scraping off the entire top layer of earth from the paths to get get down to bedrock in some areas. I'd never seen that before. 

25 minutes ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

The mud in 2016 was only part of the issue and why we packed up on the Sunday morning and left. 

The traffic queues on the Weds which resulted in us being diverted to B&W showground, then hauled up again on Thurs meant our entire group was worn out. Both myself and the other lad driving rented motorhome were frazzled. Our mates who'd driven down on Tues and were expecting us to turn up with their gear had to spend two nights kipping in their cars. 

The tiredness actually caught up with me on the Thurs and I had a cider/spliff induced faint in the mud. It was all a struggle and never really felt like the party got started, despite our best efforts. 

Yeah OK, you do paint a pretty bleak picture, particularly two nights in a car unplanned.

T'internet hasn't shed much light for me on what a bender house is.   (fnarr fnarr)