To help newbies : What's your past experiences of Glasto weather and ground conditions

Lycra

2 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

great visual depiction..... It is remarkable how it can dry up and compact.

It is, and i never knew that. I’m only a newbie, 2015 was my first year and on the Wednesday or the Thursday it rained for about 30 minutes causing about an inch worth of mud. Shiiiiit I thought! Mud, for the rest of the festival. Anyway, I don’t think it rained again and was bone dry by the following day. I was perplexed but pleased.

I really didn’t enjoy the Friday and Saturday of 2016.  Then I realised I wasn’t enjoying it because I was trying to pretend that it wasn’t difficult but it really was and partying like it was 2010 was just an impossibility for me.  By Sunday, I decided that the ‘must-sees’ were actually the ‘oh shite I can’t be bothereds’ and spent my time between  Avalon and West Holts.  Had an absolute blast watching stuff I would never normally have considered.  Would much prefer 2010/2017 weather every year -  though I would happily accept 2011/2016 muddyness again if I was to be lucky in the resale.   

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

2011 had it all over the weekend, muddy on Wednesday, progressively worse until Saturday morning from which point it started getting better until it was almost totally dry and scorchio by Sunday afternoon.  

Wednesday

P1000458.thumb.JPG.377700c3fc59216a115546f7d4730cb8.JPG

Thursday 

P1000510.thumb.JPG.026e0d9414022a386c4d5954ab9a6704.JPG

Friday

P1000650.thumb.JPG.d15b53a960ad234ffbc0c7e50166923a.JPG

Saturday 

P1000706.thumb.JPG.e63b4a179310fe9a9714a78c2a56da28.JPG

Sunday

P1000858.thumb.JPG.e76d736250c3910f03d1ea990c0a1f48.JPG

See everyone is different and my opinion would have been for Wednesdays ground to wear walking boots. Then Thursdays type of watery mud to wear wellies. The sticky mud on the Friday was pretty much the whole of 2016 apart from some massive pools of watery mud but for that i'd have worn walking boots as wellies tend to get stuck in the mud more often and i seen many a wellie lost or people turning their ankles. 

By the sunday id be in boots or trainers looking at that! I was in trainers all 2017 apart from when i was working i was back in my boots. 

For years like 2016 it's just difficult to find somewhere to sit even if you take a chair or a blanket/bin bag..... so your legs end up wrecked. 

For years like 2017 on the wednesday when it was roasting just trying to find some shelter was the main thing- we even used a tarp to tie between two tents for some shade. i still remember the glorious roar around the whole site on the wednesday afternoon when the smallest cloud in the world covered the sun for about 30 seconds- brilliant. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

2011 had it all over the weekend, muddy on Wednesday, progressively worse until Saturday morning from which point it started getting better until it was almost totally dry and scorchio by Sunday afternoon.  

Wednesday

Thursday 

Friday

Saturday 

Sunday

2011 was my first year. Remember feeling a bit disappointed at the rain and going arse over tit somewhere that was probably the naughty corner but can't really recall. By Sunday, however, it was all flip flops, laying down and enjoying the sun.

Love the pictorial record!! Impressively clean trousers (or different pairs!)

Edited by semmtexx

2010 was the pinnacle - hot and sunny every day, resulting in long, thick luscious grass to sit on at will, everything looking beautiful under the sun and blue skies. Then sun sets where the heat cooled down, leaving you with a second burst of energy for the night time adventures. 

Everywhere looked lovely as the sunset and the atmosphere was perfect as a result. 

A few heathens complain about dust in dry conditions, but this can easily be countered with eye lids and eyelashes.

Some also struggle being in such sun all day, but there are lots of shaded places these days (circus tents, John peel, silver Hayes venues, the woods, the glade, summersville).

Also in Africa, elephants cover themselves in dust to act as suncream-by combining these two issues, a solution can be had! 

If it's wet or muddy then you need to adapt accordingly - bring bin liners to sit on, lots of socks to avoid having to walk around with damp feet (either through rain or sweat). Site doesn't look as nice. 

Excellent mud montage there Gnomicide ! i was wondering how to describe the various stages of mud you encounter at the festival, you have captured it beautifully.

In 2016 i fell flat on my back on the walk down from the campervan fields in mud like you have shown in picture 2. The back of me was covered from the ankles up to the shoulders but it was lunchtime and I laughed it off and the sun dried it out over the afternoon I was a happy bunny. I was not a happy bunny when I did exactly the same thing about 8 hours later near the caberet tent in mud as depicted in photo 4 but really deep ? no sun left to dry it out and I was wet through and very cold all that evening.

I have stopped wearing those wellies and gone back to my long ribbon tied doc martens, have never slipped in those but it has taken me 2 years to get them mud free

17 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Wednesday

Thursday 

Friday

Saturday 

Sunday

I genuinely have no recollection of it being this muddy in 2011, I must've been having a great time!

15 hours ago, mandolin said:

I really didn’t enjoy the Friday and Saturday of 2016.  Then I realised I wasn’t enjoying it because I was trying to pretend that it wasn’t difficult but it really was and partying like it was 2010 was just an impossibility for me.  By Sunday, I decided that the ‘must-sees’ were actually the ‘oh shite I can’t be bothereds’ and spent my time between  Avalon and West Holts.  Had an absolute blast watching stuff I would never normally have considered.  Would much prefer 2010/2017 weather every year -  though I would happily accept 2011/2016 muddyness again if I was to be lucky in the resale.   

2014 was my first year, I remember a few points early on thinking the rain was going to get annoying but generally I think it was ok. 2016 was just awful, I only enjoyed it when I gave up trying to get anywhere and just enjoyed the drinking/atmosphere. Missed a load of bands that year as it was too hard to move around the site. 

2017 was just about perfect! You could do flip flops all weekend if you were that way inclined haha.

17 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I miss those wellies. They were SO comfy. An absolute bugger to get off but amazingly comfortable. Cost me £15 from  a big old show store in a retail park, don't think they exist any more. Bonnatto or something? 

Is that because they were Size 5?! How small are your feet?????!!!!!!

2010 was just amazing, hot hot hot and sunny, on the flipside I totally lost my voice for about 6 weeks afterwards probably due to the endless dust - but hey ho

ooo 2016 now that was a tough one- but you dig in and just think how lucky you are to be there at all - take it easy, miss some stuff, don;t rush from stage to stage and look like bambi on ice when the mud goes horribly slippery

Whichever way, pack for all eventualities and go with an open mind

I've only ever worn DM's or wellies whatever the weather - it gets muddy I wear wellies, if not DM's and good coolmax socks

28 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

The mud in 2016 was bad, but not as bad as people make out. 

2017 was absolutely glorious, and people aren’t talking it up enough. It genuinely was the best 5 days of my life. 

I can’t believe people are saying that the 2016 mud wasn’t too bad! It was the WORST mud, because it never got sloppy enough not to be like glue!

I’m not in anyway trying to claim it as the ‘worst’ Glastonbury weather...I know the legend of 2007 ( @Titters “you weren’t there, man, you don’t know what it was like”...). But purely in terms of how hard it was to move across the ground, 2016 mud was SHITE!!!!!

Like an idiot, I refused to compromise my schedule. At one point I considered NOT completing the final leg of my Park-Williams Green-Park consecutive sets, but ended up doing it. So, I barely reduced a dry weather mileage etc. Doing that, the mud WAS fucking bad! So, so tiring. 

Anyone who says that they almost feel a dry Glastonbury is too easy, is a mental! If you’ve done a properly wet/muddy one, you’ve earned your stripes and need feel nothing but unalloyed joy if every moment of every other one you ever have is dry and wonderful!

:)

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I can’t believe people are saying that the 2016 mud wasn’t too bad! It was the WORST mud, because it never got sloppy enough not to be like glue!

I’m not in anyway trying to claim it as the ‘worst’ Glastonbury weather...I know the legend of 2007 ( @Titters “you weren’t there, man, you don’t know what it was like”...). But purely in terms of how hard it was to move across the ground, 2016 mud was SHITE!!!!!

Like an idiot, I refused to compromise my schedule. At one point I considered NOT completing the final leg of my Park-Williams Green-Park consecutive sets, but ended up doing it. So, I barely reduced a dry weather mileage etc. Doing that, the mud WAS fucking bad! So, so tiring. 

Anyone who says that they almost feel a dry Glastonbury is too easy, is a mental! If you’ve done a properly wet/muddy one, you’ve earned your stripes and need feel nothing but unalloyed joy if every moment of every other one you ever have is dry and wonderful!

:)

Ben

mmmm Mr ben , and there may be your issue with the 2016 mud - right there in the words ' I refused to compromise my schedule' , just maybe those that didn;t consider it to be bad adjusted as per weather conditions ;-)

I just remember trying to cross from JP to Park across the top of the pyramid and I felt like bambi and like I would never to able to stand up again - it nearly broke my soul until I took hold of myself and gave myself a talking to and realised I had a golden ticket, and mud or no mud it was time to party (just an amended party schedule)

x

Just now, Funkyfairy! said:

mmmm Mr ben , and there may be your issue with the 2016 mud - right there in the words ' I refused to compromise my schedule' , just maybe those that didn;t consider it to be bad adjusted as per weather conditions ?

I just remember trying to cross from JP to Park across the top of the pyramid and I felt like bambi and like I would never to able to stand up again - it nearly broke my soul until I took hold of myself and gave myself a talking to and realised I had a golden ticket, and mud or no mud it was time to party (just an amended party schedule)

x

Ha!

Oh FF, don’t get me wrong, I’m neither complaining, nor suggesting that 2016 wasn’t totally flippin’ brilliant. But that was DESPITE the mud, which WAS that bad!!

??

Ben x

If the mud does show up, some parts of the site really struggle. 

Silver Hayes and The Park are probably the worst? Bella's Bridge is a slippy obstacle to negotiate and, for whatever reason, inside of the Avalon Inn and part of the John Peel tent become sticky, swampy messes. 

In 2007 My then girlfriend got stuck in the mud round by JPT. Walking through mud, one welly stuck, then the other. Had to be lifted out by some kind strangers.

We had a long chat on the Saturday morning, going home was a serious consideration - but then resolved that we couldn't fix the weather, so we changed expectations and realised it's all in the noggin. If you've got waterproofs and can get past having soggy hands and eating slightly diluted meals, you can still have a good time. I think most people (not @bennyhana22) will generally reassess plans and skip a few acts to save the drag between stages (and foot pain), not a lot more can be done. 

Booze also helps - unless it's at fally over levels, then it definitely doesn't. 

Edited by Titters

2 minutes ago, Titters said:

Silver Hayes and The Park are probably the worst? Bella's Bridge is a slippy obstacle to negotiate and, for whatever reason, inside of the Avalon Inn and part of the John Peel tent become sticky, swampy messes. 

In 2007 My then girlfriend got stuck in the mud round by JPT. Walking through mud, one welly stuck, then the other. Had to be lifted out by some kind strangers.

We had a long chat on the Saturday morning, going home was a serious consideration - but then resolved that we couldn't fix the weather, so we changed expectations and realised it's all in the noggin. If you've got waterproofs and can get past having soggy hands and eating slightly diluted meals, you can still have a good time. I think most people (not @bennyhana22) will generally reassess plans and skip a few acts to save the drag between stages (and foot pain), not a lot more can be done. 

Booze also helps - unless it's at fally over levels, then it definitely doesn't. 

Is that your thinly-veiled attempt to say “you weren’t there, man...”

?

Ben

1 minute ago, Titters said:

Booze also helps, but not too much. 

Oh Bellas bridge in the mud - how I had forgotten about the fun of trying to get over that bridge late at night after the fun and in full mud !  it loses its steps and it just a mud wall up and ski slope down

And the entrance to the park - yes yes another bogfest - oh the memories :-)

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Oh Bellas bridge in the mud - how I had forgotten about the fun of trying to get over that bridge late at night after the fun and in full mud !  it loses its steps and it just a mud wall up and ski slope down

And the entrance to the park - yes yes another bogfest - oh the memories ?

The Park presented an almost unique mud-challenge in 2016. Under the arch at the bottom and you were into Mr Sticky’s Sticky Glue Fun Park. Successfully navigate that and you then faced the 30 degree Uphill Super Slide™️, on which you took, to paraphrase Paula Abdul, one slip forwards and two slops back!

Ben