To help newbies : What's your past experiences of Glasto weather and ground conditions

Lycra

Dry - wear a hat, drink plenty of water, enjoy.

Wet - Aside from the usual wellies/poncho/umbrella advice, pack some patience. Revise your expectations and see what you can but don't fret about what you may miss. I found 2016 a real pain in terms of getting around, but basically stage sat a little more than I otherwise would have and still saw loads of great bands.

Edited by Hotchilidog

54 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

This thread is worth reading on this subject.

Yes well worth a read but there's lots of whinging about mud and not little about what the conditions are actually like, wet or dry. These will differ and depend  on where you camp and where go.

For instance I remember 2017 when the festival opened on a really hot day. The near 1 mile walk on over dusty rocky ground seems to go on and on. Then there was the slow snaking queue to get on under baking sun. Folks should be prepared.

I also recall being top side the circus field in 2009 when storm hit about 12:30am Sunday night, on what had been a totally dry festival up until then. 45 minutes later when the rain had stopped, previous rock hard dusty paths and walkways had descended to 2 - 3 inches of mud. However any damp spirits we're quelled when we got back to camp where we were welcomed by the hearty fire of our neighbours ?

Edited by Lycra

When it has been raining a lot, the ground will get very muddy everywhere but it will be particularly bad on thoroughfares where a lot of people are likely to walk. However in 2016, because it rained a lot before the festival, everywhere became muddy - on the wednesday I remember one of the muddiest places being inside the bar (the one with the wooden structure) in the the Avalon field. Some of these main thoroughfares though have had more solid surfaces laid down so they are not as bad as other, such as the road between the Tony Benn tower and the Greenpeace field. Flat lying fields tend to have pools of of water form on them, like the West Holts field and the food area opposite going towards the Other Stage.

I recommend being prepared for all weather, no matter what the forecast says. Sun hats, sun cream, shorts, t shirts, full waterproofs, wellies/walking boots and warm clothes just to be on the safe side.

Make sure you wear the most comfortable and versatile pair of shoes you own (versatile meaning that they'll be good enough to not melt your feet in hot weather, but water proof enough to get you back to your tent if you need to switch to wellies). If you don't own such a pair of shoes, do your research and buy them and wear them a lot well in advance. Glastonbury isn't the best place to break in new shoes.

Keep one of those flimsy rain ponchos in a back pocket or in your day pack if you carry one around (you should to keep water, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.). You don't want a surprise rain shower to ruin the great gig you were at, or having to go back to your tent to get a raincoat.

Not weather related but still useful: take one of those tiny clip-on bike lamps with you: they're very useful when using toilets at night, finding your tent, etc., they don't take much space and they're super cheap.

Edited by Gabi_says
I just realized these are not past experiences, just advice. Sorry!
  • Upvote 1

If it has rained non stop before the festival and forecast has more than a shower predicted then it will be muddy everywhere. This makes everything slow and awkward. Pack extra everything and plan on having to pick your way across the festival and as it is in a big bowl for the slopes to be a bugger.

If it hasn't rained for a week beforehand and some rain is predicted then it will be muddy in parts but only for the day. Cope for the day won't be too bad and just get on with it. You will pick your way across green bits at first but a couple of hours in just go A to B never mind the mud.

4 minutes ago, Gabi_says said:

Make sure you wear the most comfortable and versatile pair of shoes you own (versatile meaning that they'll be good enough to not melt your feet in hot weather, but water proof enough to get you back to your tent etc................

Don't worry.....past experiences become advice and an education for others ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

2016 was the absolute pits.

2010 & 2017 were the best.

Every other year sits somewhere in between.

I must have been totally muntered in 20167 as I had the best year and can't remember anything about the weather. 

if it's hot you can sit anywhere , if it's not you can still sit anywhere just expect a very wet bum. makes a huge difference if it is dry, you can walk anywhere and sit anywhere and dance anywhere.

there is no such thing as too sunny , bah humbug to all those that think 2010 was too hot and dry 

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

I must have been totally muntered in 20167 as I had the best year and can't remember anything about the weather.

Me too mate. You just got to crack when the conditions are shit and not let it spoil your fun.

I've said it before but I always think there's an extra level of cameradery when it's muddy that is lacking when the weather is good. 2017 was a bit odd for me, it was almost like Glasto was too easy that year.

• Like 1

Despite obsessing over the weather thread every year (and I will do again this year) when I look back the weather isn’t really a defining factor in an amazing or average festival (since 2011 anyway). I really don’t remember 2016 being that bad. 2011 seemed worse to me... but I think that was because I didn’t respond as I should. I sat out on the pyramid cold and wet on the Friday afternoon because I wanted to see the acts. Nowadays I would keep moving more, not so much that your feet get too ruined but enough to keep warm. As others have said dress for the weather, camp sensibly and you’re fine.

15 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Me too mate. You just got to crack when the conditions are shit and not let it spoil your fun.

I've said it before but I always think there's an extra level of cameradery when it's muddy that is lacking when the weather is good. 2017 was a bit odd for me, it was almost like Glasto was too easy that year.

Agreed, no matter what the conditions are just go with it, enjoy every minute, bring clothing to suit all occasions. Yes it’s the best feeling in the world lying on the dry grass under a baking sun listening to the bands but if it’s pissing down then just laugh and bear it. You are the envy of millions just being at Glastonbury.

the only real solution to the mud and rain would be a massive giant tarpaulin miles long stretching from worthy view to worthy farm. 

Mud makes it harder to move around, which in turn leads you to hanging around places watching stuff you might not particularly like, which lead me to having to endure Ellie Goulding in 2016. 

2017 on the other hand was the stuff of dreams for me. Even the 4+ hour queue getting in didn't put a downer on it. I wore trainers all weekend! That's never happened before.

Still nowhere you'd rather be that weekend, whatever the weather!

2011 had it all over the weekend, muddy on Wednesday, progressively worse until Saturday morning from which point it started getting better until it was almost totally dry and scorchio by Sunday afternoon.  

Wednesday

P1000458.thumb.JPG.377700c3fc59216a115546f7d4730cb8.JPG

Thursday 

P1000510.thumb.JPG.026e0d9414022a386c4d5954ab9a6704.JPG

Friday

P1000650.thumb.JPG.d15b53a960ad234ffbc0c7e50166923a.JPG

Saturday 

P1000706.thumb.JPG.e63b4a179310fe9a9714a78c2a56da28.JPG

Sunday

P1000858.thumb.JPG.e76d736250c3910f03d1ea990c0a1f48.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2