Driving from Brighton

LCR

I've never driven any kind of distance before - usually shuttle to the shops and back - but I'm  thinking of driving to Glasto from Brighton.

Camping at Worthy View.

What's the drive like and is it too much to take on for a relatively inexperienced driver?

I used to live in Brighton, the route is mainly motorway. M23 ,M25, M3, it's about 3 hours.  I would recommend getting some motor way practice in the coming months, and suggest you take regular breaks, also i would be more concerned about the trip home and make sure you are of sound mind when you leave. Just relax, take your time and stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We'll be driving down to worthy view from Brighton this year. I've travelled by road each year (as a car passenger or coach) and it's not a bad drive at all. If you are going to Worthy View you can cut out the Shepton Mallet route the coach takes to and approach the site from the south via Ditcheat I believe. The AA offer two routes. Getting to Somerset takes around three hours or so and then you are in the lap of the Glastonbury traffic gods.

The tricky bit is at the end when you are not he country roads, but follow your route and keep an eye on the signs for Worthy View which should keep you away from the main car park traffic. Also getting away on the Monday is an absolute delight, so easy. Have a safe journey and enjoy WV.

6 hours ago, LCR said:

I've never driven any kind of distance before - usually shuttle to the shops and back - but I'm  thinking of driving to Glasto from Brighton.

Camping at Worthy View.

What's the drive like and is it too much to take on for a relatively inexperienced driver?

As daclown says, get some practice in... you have 7 months yet and the route from Brighton is a good one. You will be fine.

are you travelling alone or do you have passengers.?

5 hours ago, LCR said:

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I will have 1 passenger who is also a driver for support. We'll set off early so roads are quiet.

get some distance driving under your belt in the spring and don't be worried about the journey  just be excited about the destination..

FWIW my girlfriend is also apprehensive about the journey as she does not like driving long distances,  so We've agreed that she'll do the first few hours and I'll take over once we get to Bristol or traffic slows down to a crawl.

On the way back I've got the fun job of getting us out of the car park and to the first service station so at least she'll be able to get a bit more rest before she takes over.

Hey Sussex dudes ?? I drive from Eastbourne every year, it’s not a bad drive at all. Head down the a27/m27 then just past Southampton (well placed motorway stop for a poo and a cup of tea, just about halfway there) take the turning for the a36 through Salisbury, then turn down the a303 (you’ll get onto it past Stonehenge, which is good to avoid traffic/rubbernecking etc) and you’ll be just about there at the south of the site. Three and a half hours, pretty much, and depending on when you do it, the traffic will probably be worst getting out of Brighton, and around Chichester before it starts getting all motorway-ey.  It’s about my limit for comfortable drives, any longer and I’d start getting fed up! 

Edited by balti-pie

Actually as you’re approaching from the south, the turnoff for Worthy view is before loads of the traffic starts piling up for the car parks so I’d definitely approach from the south rather than any other direction. Go up the a37 from Podimore on the a303 and you’re golden! 

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Hey Sussex dudes ?? I drive from Eastbourne every year, it’s not a bad drive at all. Head down the a27/m27 then just past Southampton (well placed motorway stop for a poo and a cup of tea, just about halfway there) take the turning for the a36 through Salisbury, then turn down the a303 (you’ll get onto it past Stonehenge, which is good to avoid traffic/rubbernecking etc) and you’ll be just about there at the south of the site. Three and a half hours, pretty much, and depending on when you do it, the traffic will probably be worst getting out of Brighton, and around Chichester before it starts getting all motorway-ey.  It’s about my limit for comfortable drives, any longer and I’d start getting fed up! 

couldnt you have done this in the comfort of your own home..?? You cant have left home much more than an hour before.?

If I’m setting off at 5am or whatever then my bowels won’t wake up til their normal 7.30 am poop ?  I’m disciplined, drilled and ordered when it comes to pooping. It suits camping at Glastonbury really well cos the bogs get cleaned around that time, and I’m using a fresh clean toilet ?