Hot Chip

suzie sue

10 hours ago, nikkic said:

Anybody else at Ally Pally last night? 

Thought they were excellent. Visuals and lasers were unreal.

Think I’ve seen them 7 times now and that was probably the 2nd best.

(With the first being WH 2015 which is likely to remain untouched at number 1, as @FloorFiller said the other day, it was life affirming stuff).

I like the new record, but prime Hot Chip is live Hot Chip, not many can match them. 

801262E7-7688-45B2-84CC-B67814858642.jpeg

Was a great show last night. Looked and sounded amazing. 

44CC3267-368B-49F8-BA44-E45DB1267FFF.jpeg

880016F9-595B-471F-8BFD-65D28E5D4BA7.jpeg

Edited by Bennykill
  • Like 1

Great pics! It was such a good night, and good crowd. Glad they played on a weekend. We booked tickets ages ago so that we wouldn’t have to worry about the dreaded Hot Chip / Chemical Brothers clash this year...but ended up leaving Chems about 15 mins in and saw all of Hot Chip at the Park. Wasn’t a patch on West Holts 2015 but still a great set. 

They were excellent in Nottingham the other week. I'd probably say the 2nd best I'd ever seen them (West Holts), brought the kids out then as well.

The new album has got a really lush sound to it which comes across well live, as everything they do does 

Really wish I'd seen them. We chose Chemical Brothers because I was certain we'd see them when they toured only for them to announce the Manchester date was the same night as the Tim Minchin concert that we'd bought tickets to nearly a year earlier. Tim Minchin was fab though and I am hoping they do another round of dates for this album. 

21 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Really wish I'd seen them. We chose Chemical Brothers because I was certain we'd see them when they toured only for them to announce the Manchester date was the same night as the Tim Minchin concert that we'd bought tickets to nearly a year earlier. Tim Minchin was fab though and I am hoping they do another round of dates for this album. 

FWIW the Manchester gig was good, but nothing special in my opinion. Ally Pally looks to have been on another level. 

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Homer said:

Two hour hot chip takeover on 6 now

Thanks for this, good listen. I thought they might mention it at the end when asked about what they're up to but I've been told there's an EP coming this month. I don't know what's on it so not sure if it's just remixes or anything entirely new. Possibly a recorded version of Sabotage (guess based on them doing that with Dancing In The Dark).

50 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Thanks for this, good listen. I thought they might mention it at the end when asked about what they're up to but I've been told there's an EP coming this month. I don't know what's on it so not sure if it's just remixes or anything entirely new. Possibly a recorded version of Sabotage (guess based on them doing that with Dancing In The Dark).

Their cover of Dancing In The Dark was... more musically successful than Sabotage.

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

Nice one, I wasn't actually tuned in as I went to the pub. Will get it on catchup...

10 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

Meaning that you don't think they'll bother with it? Agreed btw, it was fantastic. 

@stuartbert two hats thought the 6 music show was really entertaining last night.  Had never heard that version of dancing in the dark.  It's super.  Question though.  Joe mentioned being so hungover after the Greco Roman party at Waterloo round 2007ish he missed their Lovebox show the following afternoon.  If you dig a bit further (I did, because I was intrigued), there's an article about Greco Roman that says 2 of them missed that show.  How can a 5 man band perform with only 3 folk?  Is this them admitting that most of what we hear on stage is actually pre programmed?  If so, that's a bit disappointing.

1 minute ago, Johndenis said:

@stuartbert two hats thought the 6 music show was really entertaining last night.  Had never heard that version of dancing in the dark.  It's super.  Question though.  Joe mentioned being so hungover after the Greco Roman party at Waterloo round 2007ish he missed their Lovebox show the following afternoon.  If you dig a bit further (I did, because I was intrigued), there's an article about Greco Roman that says 2 of them missed that show.  How can a 5 man band perform with only 3 folk?  Is this them admitting that most of what we hear on stage is actually pre programmed?  If so, that's a bit disappointing.

Presumably they just play less dense arrangements and share the vocals around. They're not really a five piece though, they have seven on stage (Rob Smoughton + a drummer), so it's plenty doable to perform those songs with five - maybe they could sequence a few parts.

You only have to listen to them playing Night+Day at The Park to realise that Joe's parts are definitely live. Out of time synth playing and out of tune vocals wouldn't be part of a backing track!

He's a beast in the studio though.

This sounds pure live to me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Presumably they just play less dense arrangements and share the vocals around. They're not really a five piece though, they have seven on stage (Rob Smoughton + a drummer), so it's plenty doable to perform those songs with five - maybe they could sequence a few parts.

You only have to listen to them playing Night+Day at The Park to realise that Joe's parts are definitely live. Out of time synth playing and out of tune vocals wouldn't be part of a backing track!

He's a beast in the studio though.

This sounds pure live to me.

Thank you, this makes more sense.  I've seen them quite a lot live and the backing vocals can vary.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Does anyone know who played drums on A Bath Full of Ecstasy?  I feel like I'm overrating my ability to hear things, but Melody of Love really sounds like Sarah Jones to me.

I don't trust your judgement when it comes to drummers 😂😂

• 1 month later...