Hot Chip

suzie sue

Just now, uscore said:

this is a review with a real sting in its tail.

New album has convinced me I'll be buying a ticket when they announce their Manchester date, but has done nothing to sway me away from The Chems. 

Disclaimer: I was always 100% seeing The Chems. 

4 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

It will be a great party up at The Park! I just wish it was on Sunday night. 

Yep, it’s a real shame they clash.

I love Hot Chip, their WH set in 2015 remains the best thing I’ve seen on the farm, but Chems have dropped the AOTY, no contest.

Really wanted to see my first Park headliner, but I’ll wait and see them at Ally Pally instead.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Hot Chip's current setlists/running order looking remarkably similar to when they headlined WH (but with a stellar cover dropped for an inferior one).

Now the album is out, I'm expecting a lot more of it to come into the setlist. Their Facebook post from earlier today suggests so as well. They clearly didn't wanna play festival sets to casual audiences with 4 or 5 unreleased songs in, which is fair enough.

Had one listen to the album at midnight and thought it sounded really good. Melody Of Love finally clicked for me as well, after finding it kinda so-so for the last few weeks. Excited to give it all another listen later. 

New album is great, but personally (and this may just be the salty side of me due to having to miss them) I don't think it's quite as good as their last few releases on my first few listens through. Obviously that's primed to change with more listens, but right now I'm happy with my Chemical Brothers decision even though I know this will still be an absolute party.

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

New album is great, but personally (and this may just be the salty side of me due to having to miss them) I don't think it's quite as good as their last few releases on my first few listens through. Obviously that's primed to change with more listens, but right now I'm happy with my Chemical Brothers decision even though I know this will still be an absolute party.

No I don't think it is as strong as Why Make Sense but still a decent 7/10 effort for me. Couple of stonewall bangers on it though.

I am still torn on the Saturday night. It is difficult for me to imagine that I would actually miss a Hot Chip gig. Yet most of my group will be watching the Chems, I have not seen them in over 20 years and I will be watching Hot Chip do a longer set at Bluedot in a couple of weeks anyway. Yet I am still can decide one way or other.

I've never liked Hot Chip albums particularly. I think most of their singles are completely amazing though, I really like Hungry Child and Spell.  However I don't think this is their best work. I'm still excited about seeing them next Saturday.

31 minutes ago, uscore said:

I've never liked Hot Chip albums particularly. I think most of their singles are completely amazing though, I really like Hungry Child and Spell.  However I don't think this is their best work. I'm still excited about seeing them next Saturday.

This. Every record barring the début is killer singles, plus filler. Live shows this year have been a bit saggy as well. (Sabotage especially.)

2 hours ago, stereodista said:

This. Every record barring the début is killer singles, plus filler. Live shows this year have been a bit saggy as well. (Sabotage especially.)

3 hours ago, uscore said:

I couldn't disagree more. Rarely more than one duff song per album for my money.

I've not yet listened to the new record - what if it's brilliant? I've already decided I'm seeing the Chemicals!

I listened to the new album yesterday and think it's decent but it will be a grower for me - and I doubt it will have grown by next Saturday enough to persuade me to see them (mainly because as good as I reckon it will be, I can't see it topping the Village Underground gig in April). Was leaning Chems as I think the new album is decent but now being quite heavily tempted towards Daniel Avery in Pangaea as a bit of a curveball! Is it completely mad to think we could see beginning of Chems and wander over? Probably.